Main Menu

Obi-Wan Kenobi on Disney+ (High Chance of SPOILERS)

Started by Jim_Campbell, 31 May, 2022, 09:00:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Funt Solo

++SPOILERS++

Of course I was nit-picking to an extent, but I felt that the choice to play the trick on the audience was a cheap one (regarding the suddenly available extra ship). Fair enough, fool Vader. But everything they'd shown us up until that point suggested one ship, so it felt like a cheat. Not that I'm against rug-pulling in fiction - I love The Usual Suspects, for example. The difference there is that they present it in such a way as to suggest you should have known all along, if only you'd been paying attention to the clues.

I can back-fill plot points myself, and come up with my own fiction as to why it should all make sense - what I was trying to get across was that the way they chose to tell the story in that episode had too many moments where I was being forced to do that.

But it was still fun. (Also, if you play it back and freeze frame it, the second ship is visible in the background beneath the one Vader is focused on - but it seriously blends in with the hanger walls and could just as easily be an accommodation block or something.)
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

sheridan

The second ship was in the background in just about every scene where we saw the first ship.

The Legendary Shark

Quote from: Funt Solo on 16 June, 2022, 08:50:20 PM

- How did Obi-Wan escape captivity - it's not clear.

I liked that we didn't see this. I don't think we really needed to as we'd just seen him trouncing stormtroopers by the shedload, so another protracted action scene might have been excessive and a bit samey. And he's Obi-Wan Kenobi.

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

Funt Solo

Quote from: sheridan on 19 June, 2022, 10:11:37 AM
The second ship was in the background in just about every scene where we saw the first ship.

Have you ever counted the ball passes?
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

sheridan

Quote from: Funt Solo on 19 June, 2022, 03:44:50 PM
Quote from: sheridan on 19 June, 2022, 10:11:37 AM

Have you ever counted the ball passes?

Admittedly I am pretty observant - first time I saw that video (around twenty years ago - eep!) I counted both the ball passes and noticed the other element...

The Legendary Shark

Jovus Crust, they may as well do away with starships and just have teleporters or stargates instead. This has been a frustratingly Curate's Egg of a series. The lightsabre battle was ace, though.

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

Magnetica

That sequence of the Star Destroyer pursuing the escaping ship, was just full of holes.

Why can't  the Empire shoot straight? Or having caught up most of the way, given the decent head start the escaping ship must have had, assuming  the amount of time it must have taken Vader to return to the Star Destroyer since the end of the last episode, why couldn't they actually catch up all the way?

And how come Vader tolerates such bad marksmanship?

Tiplodocus

Or even himself "I'm totally obsessed with Obi Wan. But I won't bother confirming that he's actually dead".

The one minute money shot [spoiler]Obi Wan kicking Vader's ass[/spoiler] did not justify this.

File under wasted opportunity. But I'm not going to obsess about it.
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

Magnetica

Also how come the Jedi & Sith are way more powerful than we've ever seen before? For example using the force to stop escaping ships, moving a load of rocks, surviving being bombarded by said rocks.

And how come the don't use that level of powers again? For example in any of the films?

Tomwe

Rey stopped a shuttle leaving in Rise Of Skywalker, so seems acceptable for Vader to be able to do it. But it did look hokey.

sheridan

Quote from: Tomwe on 24 June, 2022, 10:31:04 AM
Rey stopped a shuttle leaving in Rise Of Skywalker, so seems acceptable for Vader to be able to do it. But it did look hokey.

A hokey religion, you might say?

judgeurko

Star Wars used to be a rare treat now they like buses. Not good this one, pointless.

Funt Solo

Quote from: judgeurko on 25 June, 2022, 05:02:57 PM
Star Wars used to be a rare treat now they like buses. Not good this one, pointless.

Yeah! Like waiting for that Mega-City television show! Grrr!

---

++SPOILERS++

Given how awful the prequel trilogy was, it's impressive that they managed to make Hayden work in this series as a dark character, and not just a moping, winge-ridden, angsty twat with bad hair. Impressive! Most impressive!

Third Sister teleporting to Tatooine was a bit of magical plotting. Please - nobody needs to explain to me how it could be done - I can invent stuff myself. The trouble is that it was jarring, because last time we saw her she had been impaled by a light saber, couldn't walk, had been abandoned by her logistical support network and just didn't seem like she'd be able to teleport to Tatooine, or bandage herself, or survive.

No doubt there'll be a graphic novel or mini-series along at some point to tell that untold story.

That's just an example - there are loads of plot contrivances that don't really pass muster - and it detracts from the positive aspects of the show. If your ship is being chased by people who are shooting at you, why is there time for everyone to have long drawn out conversations about the situation. The sense of peril is utterly lost. In Empire, they managed to have their chase cake and eat it by having the Falcon hide in a giant asteroid - then you get the Tie-Bombers to ramp up the tension while the characters have a conversation.

Luke's "escape pod" was about half the size of the ship it came out of. After he kicked Vader's butt, he escapes the planet - and the orbiting Star Destroyer is nowhere to be seen. Did they pop off for lunch? Gah!

Like Shark said: a curate's egg.
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

judgeurko

Quote from: Funt Solo on 25 June, 2022, 05:35:01 PM
Quote from: judgeurko on 25 June, 2022, 05:02:57 PM

Yeah! Like waiting for that Mega-City television show! Grrr!

that wont happen