Main Menu

Last movie watched...

Started by SmallBlueThing, 04 February, 2011, 12:40:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mardroid

Concerning Noah: I recognised the name of the main antagonist in this film as the new moniker of Happy Shrapnel: Tubal-Cain. After a bit of research, I see he was a renowned metal-worker briefly mentioned in the Bible. (He didn't fight Noah in the original account though.) I see why Mr. Mills chose the name!

pictsy

Akira  It has been a while since I have seen this film.  I loved it as a little kid and it was definitely one of my favourites at the time.  I am still impressed with how this film looks, it is a real treat for the eyes.  I was also surprised to find I still enjoy the story, especially as I've just finished reading the manga.  I ended up appreciating how certain elements of the manga were incorporated into the film, but not in a way that just mimics the source.  As a kid I felt it was a complex story, but watching it now I can appreciate it for its simplicity in plot.  Then again, that might just be my familiarity with it speaking.

von Boom

Paddington 2. Such a wonderful film. And Hugh Grant is priceless. I hope they make a third.

pictsy

Bright  Yup, just finished watching it and it was certainly a film.  Not the worst thing I've seen and not the best.  The characters, I felt, started poor but did improve.  The villain was rubbish but exceedingly well dressed.  Her outfit is my favourite part of the film.  The premise was decent and the plot, as a concept, was workable, but I felt both in execution were missed opportunities.  In the end the film was watchable, which I guess is the least I can ask from a film.

Keef Monkey

Tale of Tales - Really enjoyed this, it's a fairy tale movie but in the classic fairy tale sense, ie. everything is quite dark and grim and at times very bloody. Great stuff.

A Monster Calls - Oh boy did I love this. Looks beautiful and is incredibly emotionally charged (not ashamed to say we were both in floods of tears watching it at points). Just thinking back to it now I'm getting the face tingles, so to prevent me bubbling at my desk I'll say no more. An incredible film.

darnmarr

Agora.
Reading about the discovery of incredible alien rock 'Hypatia' lead me to wonder about the person the rock was named after-- which lead me to this film I'd never heard of. A friend had already seen it and told me it was boring over-long rubbish so my expectations were set to extremely low.

I found it ...'interesting'. I'd never seen early Christianity depicted as the scary anti-civilisation fundamentalist apocalyptic death cult that it must have seemed at the time. The whole thing is a piece of Atheist propaganda- but give me that over Mel Gibson's Christian propaganda any day. As a film in it's own right, probably not great, but , as I said 'Interesting'.

JayzusB.Christ

Dead Man's Shoes.  Brilliant stuff; the kind of film that haunts you for weeks to come. Touch of the first Button Man series about it; though with a lot more swearing and drugs.
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

radiator

Paddington 2.

Not quite up there with the first - something about the first half felt a little off to me, and a few of the gags didn't quite land, but it really starts to build up steam (hah) towards the end, and the last 20-30 minutes is just pure joy. The end credit sequence is just phenomenal. Pretty much perfect family films - I rate either of the Paddingtons on a level with anything Pixar have done. It is so disheartening how this film is underperforming in the US.

von Boom

I'm not sure Paddington was ever very popular in the US. However, releasing it after Christmas there seems like a bad idea to me.

radiator

Quote from: von Boom on 15 January, 2018, 05:38:12 PM
I'm not sure Paddington was ever very popular in the US. However, releasing it after Christmas there seems like a bad idea to me.

I don't think they had much of a choice. Pre Christmas is just owned by Disney now. In any case, the first one did alright back in January 2015.

Regardless, this one seems to be doing significantly less well than the first, which seems a real shame - you'd think that the first one would have built up a lot of momentum on home video.

Fingers very much crossed for a third, but a US opening weekend of just $15m doesn't bode well.

von Boom

Quote from: radiator on 15 January, 2018, 06:34:20 PM
Quote from: von Boom on 15 January, 2018, 05:38:12 PM

I don't think they had much of a choice. Pre Christmas is just owned by Disney now. In any case, the first one did alright back in January 2015.

Regardless, this one seems to be doing significantly less well than the first, which seems a real shame - you'd think that the first one would have built up a lot of momentum on home video.

Fingers very much crossed for a third, but a US opening weekend of just $15m doesn't bode well.

I hate the fact that the chance of a sequel for a top quality film like this relies on doing well in the US. Hmmm... where have I come across this situation before? ;)

HdE

I saw Shin Godzilla recently and really, really hated it.

This was a film where large parts of it where taken up with characters talking about doing things, only to then get into a long discussion about whether it was okay to do the things, then deciding to do things, then checking it was really, really okay to do the things, before going to do them. Then they would get to where they had to do the things, only to discover that while they were argung about whether to do the things, Godzilla had done the thngs they wanted to do the things to stop him from doing. And then they realised they'd taken too long to do the things.

This has been spun in reviews as a commentary on the indecisive nature of Japanese politicians. But it's not. It's just really terrible film-making.

I'm off to do things now.

If that's okay.
Check out my DA page! Point! Laugh!
http://hde2009.deviantart.com/

GrudgeJohnDeed

Quote from: HdE on 15 January, 2018, 06:42:30 PM
This was a film where large parts of it where taken up with characters talking about doing things, only to then get into a long discussion about whether it was okay to do the things, then deciding to do things, then checking it was really, really okay to do the things, before going to do them. Then they would get to where they had to do the things, only to discover that while they were argung about whether to do the things, Godzilla had done the thngs they wanted to do the things to stop him from doing. And then they realised they'd taken too long to do the things.

long tedious conversations are what puts me off some Japanese anime series when I try to watch them. In those cases they're usually sillily melodramatic and overwrought, and pop up at implausible times :D . Filler is the word I guess, anime series are a masterclass in wringing as much content as you can out of a budget.

Colin YNWA

Twin Peaks: Fire Walk With Me

Having watched the telly show I now delved into Fire Walk WIth Me in prep for (hopefully) getting the new series soon (I'd buy it tomorrow but I've made that classic error of putting the new series onto my Wish List for my up coming B'day - daggnabbit). Now I've not seen this since I moved from VHS to DVD many moons ago and to be fair a good couple of years before that I don't doubt... so I was shocked by how disturbing it was, so utterly disturbed. I'd completely forgotten how affecting the whole thing was. It felt like all the tension and darkness of the best bits of the telly show, amplified and distilled into a 2 hour film. Quite shocking. At times violent and graphic to boot. Yet also shockingly good.

Such a powerful piece of cinema.

I do question how good it would be as a stand alone movie if you weren't versed in TP... but I guess that's kinda not its main concern.

Lynch at his (almost) best.

Professor Bear

Quote from: HdE on 15 January, 2018, 06:42:30 PMThis has been spun in reviews as a commentary on the indecisive nature of Japanese politicians. But it's not. It's just really terrible film-making.

The non-Godzilla portions of the film I found to be no more boring than usual - the average Big G film usually having a wasteland middle hour where nothing happens - but it wasn't reviewers who came up with that spin: Hideaki Anno said before the film came out that it was a direct commentary on the government's mishandling of the aftermath of the 2011 tsunami and the current trend in Japan's conservative government to suck America's dick.*

* He may not have used this precise euphemism.