Main Menu

DC COMICS REVISES SUBMISSIONS POLICY

Started by O Lucky Stevie!, 06 December, 2001, 05:27:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

O Lucky Stevie!

thought that this item from comic book resources would be of ineterest to any up & coming creators out there.

DC COMICS REVISES SUBMISSIONS POLICY
by Jonah Weiland, Executive Producer
Posted: December 5, 2001
Official Press Release

DC regrets that recent circumstances have dictated a change in our submissions policies, and that we will no longer be able to review unsolicited submissions of ideas, stories or artwork. As before, we cannot accept phone inquiries.

"We really do understand how frustrating this may be for some fans who want to show us their work. Most of us at DC started out as fans. Still, we've gotten almost no new talent from unsolicited submissions for a number of years," says Richard Bruning, DC's VP - Creative Director. "The artists and writers that we're likely to use have almost always gotten their start elsewhere, an independent publisher or whatever, and we've seen their work that way. Despite their passion, few fans are at the level where they're ready to write and draw for our books.

"We're still keeping our eyes peeled for new talent, but it's more likely we'll see it in print somewhere or we'll meet them at conventions. This policy more accurately reflects that reality. There were always many more submissions pouring in the door than we could effectively handle, and I don't think anyone ever learned much from a form letter. We're trying to be practical and honest here, not disrespectful."

Link: http://www.comicbookresources.com/news/newsitem.cgi?id=675" target="_blank">http://www.comicbookresources.com/news/newsitem.cgi?id=675

"We'll send all these nasty words to Aunt Jane. Don't you think that would be fun?"

death monkey 23

well, that's a bit shit really.  (oh, by the way, sorry. think i just accidentally posted a blank message. wont happen again.

thats shit because it means that jenette khan, what a great person, can now continue to censor good material and be more of an aol time warner poo.

fraston

but be fair, they probably DID get mountains of utter crud. this myth that the subs piles are chockablok with superb and talented work which the evil masterminds behind the evil comics elite just dispose of really is a myth.

i'm just surprised it's taken them so long to do this. smaller places, like the independant companies who actively search or request new talent have been the place to go for years anyway, not the big guns. it always struck me as a case of "i wanna work for the best, NOW. I don't wanna wait, i'm too talented" from most folks sending stuff to dc/marvel etc.

anyway, what's wrong with 2000ad? eh? it's a great place to work:)

F