Main Menu

'Freedom and Whisky Gang Thegither' or 'We Few, We Happy Few, We Band of Brothers'

Started by Dounreay, 18 January, 2003, 03:56:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dounreay

It's getting on for Burn's Night season here in the far north. Through a haze of haggis and whisky, questions drift by.

Could Burns take out the Bard in a pub car park fight?

Why don't the Sons and Daughters of Albion have a Shakespeare Night?

What would a Burns/Shakespeare cross over  be like?

Was Bill a luvvie or a geezer? Burn's geezer-dom is well documented.

So many questions my dears, so few answers.

Art

I've been asked before why we don't have something like the Americans July 4th, an out and out joyous celebration of our country and all that is good about it. As far as I can determine its because we've got a fucking Queen instead. Grumble.

red_lichtie

"Could Burns take out the Bard in a pub car park fight?"

Duh. Obviously Burns would win. The Bard wouldn't know what a pub was.

RL

Art

Are you seriously suggesting that, as the greatest writer in the English language, Shakespeare didn't know how to drink?

Quirkafleeg

Well there is St George's Day celebrated by right wing nutters everywhere. And 'erased from history' koff koff Empire Day koff

Well Marlow was a hard-drinking nutcase so I reckon Will was the same... it's a certain comic writer that's wimped him up...

judge dreddd

judge dreddd

burns was a hard man, even though he wrote poetry and collected english taxes.....

will was a softy southerner so no competition me thinks..

burns night is celebrated by scots here in souf england, an excuse for scots to go down the pub,,,,, like they need one...

McNulty

I'm sure Burns could take that 'puir wee sleekit cow'rin timrous beastie' Shakespeare.

Link: The A-Z of Cal-Hab

Queen Firey-Bou

Aye he could bash him ower the heid wi a big neep..however what if wiley Will used his napper & distracted oor Rabbie wi' a bonnie lassie ? & used the opportunity to poke Rab wi his poncy wee quill ?

Quirkafleeg

Oh yeah, why is Burns holding a flower in his sculpture then? The big jessy.

Oddboy

Arthur - we had the Jubilee celebrations... why party every year when you can party every 25 years.

Damn.
Better set your phaser to stun.

Art

"hurrah, we're all slaves of the hideous old millionare lizard people"

Screw that...

Oddboy

Would you rather they were fish people?

HAIL THE TROUT!
Better set your phaser to stun.

Trout

"HAIL THE TROUT!"

Indeed, but hail Rabbie Burns as well.

He would've beaten the living shite out of Shakespeare, then gone home and shagged three women, pished out of his brains, then wrote a far better poem than Bill ever could.

Burns had sixteen - count em - SIXTEEN bairns, nine by Jean Armour, who then took in a whole load of his illegitimate kids as well.

And he was only 37 when he died. Live fast, die young.

What a man.

(And Burns suppers are massive fun. I'm still hungover from one on Saturday night!)

CELEBRATE SCOTLAND AND HAIL THE TROUT!

Art

Bah, we should have beheaded all his ancestors in the 1800s and declared a republic.