Main Menu

on blizzards, power cuts & the apocolypse

Started by Queen Firey-Bou, 28 January, 2004, 03:34:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dudley

I'm beginning to change my mind - might fancy joining this survivors Bou-cult after all.  I may have no useful skills right npw, but by the time I'd fought my way across 800 miles of irradiated ruins filled with violent paramilitary groups, without a ready source of food, I'd no doubt have either acquired them or be dead anyway.

So, Bou - where should we all meet if this happens?  Is there a convenient cave to fit 40-50 people in?

And, to think more long-term, this rather male group is going to need to recruit a tribe of savage Amazonians to help re-populate the Earth (tribal queens obviously being excused such petty concerns).  How do we solve this one?  

...Dudley

Queen Firey-Bou

tsk, trust someone to bring that one up, pff we can have a few breeding heifers i suppose, but i'm not having my tribe held back by wimmin & kids oh no..

cave ? no no, ive got a whole lota ancient hill forts & crannogs sorted out, in fact i'm no bad at dry skane work, so will have built a castle by the time yous all get here.

Oddboy

Don't have much in the way of useful skills, unless you need any numbers crunched.

If I survive, I'm no bad at the guitar so I could provide back up to Pete's ballads. All we need now is a drummer & a bassist.

If I don't survive, you can eat me. Seeing as I'm in London, and if the apocalypse is nuclear, then I'll come ready cooked.
Better set your phaser to stun.

Steamboy

sorry can't join your survival cult as we'll all be busy hooning around in hot looking cars fighting over petrol, taking on murderouse bikers and stuff.  "Cundalenee wants his hand back"

CU Mad Krestel

Tanky

I could (predictably) steal a tank? That'd be useful and i've always wanted an excuse to get one! Failing that i could play bass in Oddboy's band, knock up a generator or build a bender? (a tent, not a robot. Unfortunately)

Smiley

Is there a vacancy for "Ayatollah of rock and roll-ah" in this post-nuclear playground? Aw, go on, I've got the gimp mask and everything.

judge dreddd

i will be hiding out the first few years in...well that would be telling...may make it up to bous hideout at some point i suppose...

BUT i got a better location scouted....

top tips for mad survivalist me...
1. hide
2. travel at night with night vision goggles

W. R. Logan

>I could (predictably) steal a tank? That'd be useful and i've always wanted an excuse to get one!

Tanks handle like shit on icy roads. Theres nothing scarier than seeing the look in a Germans eye as you slide a Challenger around a corner on the ice.

La placa Rifa,
W. R. Logan.

Trout

I've resisted the temptation of saying this, but what the hell...

If you get tired of a post-nuclear apocalypse, let me know and I'll happily destroy you all!

But no-one's eating roast trout, before you suggest it, even if Pete can make any old shite taste half-decent.

- Trout

red_lichtie

Now that sounds like a story worth hearing.

RL

Something Fishy

Hm.. i'm reasonable at growing things.  worked on a farm for years.  Not a modern agri-business but a fairly old style farm.

I can plant, feed, protect and pick and ensure we don't eat the nasty stuff.

I've some hunting skills too so could help with that.

I could also rear the poultry and keep the foxed off em.

Totally crap in anything mechanical so any machinery would fail rapidly without some help.

Something Fishy

Actually, the first thing i'd do is try and organise some explosives to take down the Tamar Bridge.  That would massively reduce the ease with which the feeling masses could get into Cornwall.  Leaving the resources for us country folk.

We could more easily defend the very small area of boggy land that they'd have to cross if we did this.

Dounreay

Since leccy is the key to modern civilisation your going to want a small wind generator backed up by a diesel for those calm cold days. Suggest you convert your diesel to run off chip fat as the chances of making your own diesel are slim. A biomass generator might be an option but tricky to do.

However, your diesel is eventually going to wear out so in the longer term you probably want to be looking at a simple water wheel or  a coal or peat fired steam engine.

Solar panels are good for hot water and last for ages, but finding spares for pumps might be a problem.

Keeping ourselves warm dry and well lit needs a tame engineer - plenty of them around.

However, your need to think about getting a half decent chemist unless you already know how to make soap, tooth paste, antiseptic etc.

A sawbones with dentistry and veterinary experience would be good to.

Some one who can make paper, leather, candle wax  and  other household bits and bobs would be useful.

Oh and a blacksmith. And a horticulturalist. And some others...

Of course you need somebody to manage all these people, That would be me. Post - apocalyptic personnel and project management is my speciality.

Dudley

Dounreay - get a lot of call for that, do you?

Slippery PD

Oh I suppose I fit into some of Dounreays sections, not only do I do a bit of leccy.  I have a chemistry degree, we could be making soap and alchohol all day.  What a great job!!!  Clean and P*ssed...

Yer Slips