Main Menu

Aww, **** it! The Art Comp Entries That Never Were…

Started by Jim_Campbell, 03 August, 2017, 09:58:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jim_Campbell

Prompted by Supersurfer's post on Steven Denton's Art Comp thread, I thought it might be fun to have a place for people to post their art comp entries that they didn't quite get done in time, or thought maybe weren't quite good enough to enter.

Every month, I mean to enter, and every month time defeats me. Usually, I never even get further than thinking about it (I had a cracking idea for Pat Mills month) but to start us off, here's my colour rough for the 'Death of' comp, which never got any further than this...

Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

IAMTHESYSTEM

Cool page design Jim.Here's the original rough for a Rogue Troper comp long ago. Looking at it's probably better than what I submitted! Doh!

"You may live to see man-made horrors beyond your comprehension."

http://artriad.deviantart.com/
― Nikola Tesla

Jim_Campbell

On the rare occasions I get through to a finished piece of artwork, the roughs often have an energy that I manage to completely eliminate somewhere in the process!

There's a lot of energy in that Rogue piece. Thanks for sharing it...

TordelBack

Heh, these are almost better than finished pieces!  Keep 'em coming!

Always good to see some of Jim's artistic light sneaking out from under his self-critical bushel.

Steven Denton

Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 04 August, 2017, 08:12:49 AM
On the rare occasions I get through to a finished piece of artwork, the roughs often have an energy that I manage to completely eliminate somewhere in the process!

There's a lot of energy in that Rogue piece. Thanks for sharing it...

Roughs tend to have wonky/exaggerated anatomy, off perspective and sweeping confident lines, all of which are great ways of getting energy into your work. I find my most energetic work is my least technically fussy.

Pete Wells

Following the controversy of my "Chopper" entry I nearly entered this for the subsequent Halo Jones compo, but bottled it. Obviously, it's Halo in her G-Suit on Moab, standing to attention between two grassy rocks.

Some would say I'm compensating for something...

Jim_Campbell

I remember this one! I don't know what the fuss was about... some people clearly have filthy minds...

JLC

Quote from: Pete Wells on 04 August, 2017, 08:49:29 PM
Following the controversy of my "Chopper" entry I nearly entered this for the subsequent Halo Jones compo, but bottled it. Obviously, it's Halo in her G-Suit on Moab, standing to attention between two grassy rocks.

Some would say I'm compensating for something...

...for the fact that you haven't got a cartoon woman inside your penis?

SuperSurfer

My kind of thread.

I usually do a quick doodle when an art comp theme is announced. It sits on my desk as a reminder. I get bogged down with work and sideline projects (unpaid!). Comp deadline appears out of nowhere. I get the idea in my head I can do a quickie drawing. I try the paper and pens route, digital route. Neither seems to work. I either manage to enter a very scrappy unfinished/underworked piece (rare) or I fail to enter. Come the next day I look at my attempts and think – they weren't as bad as I thought. Then, at my leisure, post-deadline I work-up my non-contribution and over-work that to heck.

This was my attempt to illustrate Eamonn's story 'Hotdog'. I wish I could say I didn't enter because I wasn't happy with the perspective on handlebars or the dullness of the colours but I was foiled by time. I don't think this captured what I was getting at with my initial doodle. I wanted to show the cadet Judge dwarfed by the Lawmaster and I didn't capture the energy of my sketch.

Mardroid

That's very nice. I particularly love your use of colour their Supersurfer.

Fungus

Sketch or not, I'd have voted for this I reckon. Very nice, quite Weston-y.

Professor Bear

Meant to enter last month's but as usual never got past the initial brainstorming session.  Like Jim, I often find an energy and promise in the sketches stage that I rarely - if ever - believe I deliver in the finished piece, though I gather this is SOP for most artists.  I take solace in the fact that this feeling disappears forever once you become a proper comic artist.

Jim_Campbell

These are all brilliant. Glad to know it's not just me!

Woolly

Prof Bear - christ, but thats beautiful. Should have been entered as is.

Please finish it...

Woolly

Best I can do for this thread is...

A quick sketch of Brother Mills:

A still unfinished half coloured version of something I entered as an unfinished black & white thing:

and something that was entered into a competition, but then was omitted from the vote due to NO REASON AT ALL, AND WE SHALL NOT DISCUSS IT!  ;)
It's Dredd, having a heart attack in the bogs at Pete Wells Block, whilst eating synthi-sausage and a Gregg's Pasty.