Main Menu

Prog 2083 - Fame in the fifth dimension

Started by Colin YNWA, 26 May, 2018, 01:36:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JOE SOAP

Quote from: I, Cosh on 31 May, 2018, 11:21:31 PM
Quote from: Dandontdare on 31 May, 2018, 01:54:27 PM
Quote from: norton canes on 31 May, 2018, 09:49:48 AMDid we work out who the two guys on the left are, holding things over their shoulders?
That one's been bugging me too!
They're all about time (or dimensional) travel? It's the two guys from Primer.

Aye

Dandontdare

CalHab

Quote from: Dandontdare on 01 June, 2018, 08:29:04 AM
That movie gave me a headache!

Me too. Apparently it gets easier to understand on subsequent viewings, but I just couldn't muster any enthusiasm for that.

I did like the "tech start-up" aesthetic.

Dandontdare

Quote from: CalHab on 01 June, 2018, 10:00:09 AM
Quote from: Dandontdare on 01 June, 2018, 08:29:04 AM
That movie gave me a headache!

Me too. Apparently it gets easier to understand on subsequent viewings, but I just couldn't muster any enthusiasm for that.

I did like the "tech start-up" aesthetic.

There was a helpful flow-chart guide that someone here pointed me to that does help with unraveling the timelines. I make it a general rule not to think too hard about time travel movies (or the ABC warriors timeline) and just enjoy it, and I did.

Frank

Quote from: The Enigmatic Dr X on 26 May, 2018, 02:43:07 PM
Silent bob

You mean Jay*, and it's not Jay!

* Time travel, see. I accept I'm the only person still interested in playing Where's Wally.

Muon

Quote from: Frank on 01 June, 2018, 09:30:02 PM
Quote from: The Enigmatic Dr X on 26 May, 2018, 02:43:07 PM
Silent bob

You mean Jay*, and it's not Jay!

* Time travel, see. I accept I'm the only person still interested in playing Where's Wally.

Yeah, I spent ages looking for Kevin Smith dressed in a long coat. Seemed likely as a possibility as I've heard there's been a trend at US cons for a while for the more portly guys to rock a beard and a long coat or hockey jersey and either say they're Silent Bob or get all meta and say they're going as Smith himself. So then I thought the blondie might be Jay/Jason Mewes. But this makes far more sense and fits in with the time travel theme.

Muon

Fun prog by the way. It's in "solid and dependable" mode at the moment.

sheridan

Does anybody know who the tiny bearded guy behind the Girl Who Could Leap Through Time (interesting film, by the way, and part of an entire genre of manga/anime with magical time-travelling girls), the gold flying thing and the two identical smart-phone wielders on the front?

Tomwe

Quote from: sheridan on 02 June, 2018, 11:06:02 AM
Does anybody know who the tiny bearded guy behind the Girl Who Could Leap Through Time (interesting film, by the way, and part of an entire genre of manga/anime with magical time-travelling girls), the gold flying thing and the two identical smart-phone wielders on the front?
Gold flying thing is Booster Gold's buddy Skeets. I'm going to guess there are no cameos on the front, possibly for legal reasons.

Steve Green

Minor thing, but wraparound covers don't work on the app store digital copy.

Maybe an idea to repeat the other side at the top and tail?

I, Cosh

Quote from: Steve Green on 02 June, 2018, 08:36:57 PM
Minor thing, but wraparound covers don't work on the app store digital copy.

Maybe an idea to repeat the other side at the top and tail?
It's strange because that's what they normally do with the wraparound covers like the last couple of Lawless ones.
We never really die.

TordelBack

It's such a fun cover, shame if you pixel-johnnies aren't getting the full effect.

Frank

Quote from: TordelBack on 03 June, 2018, 11:37:20 AM
It's such a fun cover, shame if you pixel-johnnies aren't getting the full effect.

Hopefully, The Cosh can now appreciate the full majesty of this cover, thanks to the 2000ad Discussion Group's Roger Blake*, who has compiled this exhaustive list of all the fanboy and conspiracy nut references featured on this epic school jotter covering.

Confirmed by the very patient and indulgent Neil Googe himself:

https://2000adhallofhomage.wordpress.com/2018/07/05/no-200-fame-in-the-fifth-dimension/

* Have a sniff around the rest of Roger's 2000ad Hall Of Homage site while you're at it. Some great Swipe-File-worthy observations.