Main Menu

Judge Dredd: The Mega Collection discussion thread

Started by Molch-R, 10 December, 2014, 03:30:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

robert_ellis

Apestrife

Thanks for posting the list! Really looking forward to Oz, DoC:Endgame, Total War, Simping Detective and Dead man.

Any ideas on what Alien Nations and Target: Judge Dredd could be about?

Target-book. Assassins after Dredd? The nip cit bathsuit assassin? Alien nations, Dredd and Anderson in space stuff?

Skullmo

What is in the hodo city book - apart from the first Quitely Shimura tales? Is it a good one?
It's a joke. I was joking.

robert_ellis

Hondo City Justice contains...
Our Man in Hondo - progs 608-611
Shimura - Meg 2.37-2.39
Babes with Big Bazookas - Meg 3.21
Executioner - Meg 224-226
Deus X - Meg 228-230
Hondo City Justice - Meg 300-303
Project Behemouth - Meg 324-326
Revenge of the 47 Ronin - Meg 332-334
Plus interview with Robbie Morrison & intro by Matt Smith
Some really strong art from Quitely, Andy Clarke, Neil Googe & Mike Collins/Cliff Robinson. Lots of big fun stuff!

Skullmo

Cheers  -i might give that one a go if I can find it in the shops - it wasnt in my local smiths :'(
It's a joke. I was joking.

Anzati

I found the choice of stories split between the Hondo City justice and Shimura books to be rather odd...and quite confusing as someone who had never read them before. I had to go through both books and note down the issue numbers of each story so that I could make sense of some things.

To me it would have made much more sense to have had the early Shimura stories and those relating to Taoka (did I spell that right?) in the Shimura book and the Shimura stories featuring young Junko (again, not sure if I spelt that right) in the HCJ book...would have made for a much better narrative flow with the two books running more smoothly in parallel with each other rather than chopping and changing.

Still taken together they made for two bloody fantastic books...now I just need to track down the two Inaba stories that were not included...presumably due to space and lack of relevance to the main plot threads?

I'm assuming that Warriors may well find a place in a future Dredd volume of the collection. But I'm not sure where else Big Lix and Flying Kicks fit's in. Could anyone give us a summary of those two stories, please?

Also I may well be wrong in this, but is the young Junko who was under Shimura's care for a few stories the same Cadet Junko who eventually turns up in Hondo City Justice?

Apestrife

The Dead Man, think there'll be any extras in that one besides The dead man? Being that it's only 80 or so pages.

I'm thinking the following stories:
-Letter to Judge Dredd (intro to tales of...)
-Tale of the Dead Man (continuing Dead man)
-Nightmares (finishing up on Yassa Povey. Also tying into Democracy.)
-Young Giant (Back up story. A little intro to Necropolis with Dredd saying he won't be around forever. Fitting considering the book itself)

That would add 100 or so pages right?

Essentially making Necropolis Esquerra's show (how many pages that'd be?), and serve as an intro to it.

IndigoPrime

According to Barney, the meat of Necropolis is 162 pages. That leaves plenty for the build-up.

robert_ellis

I'd rather have the great Steve Dillon strip Nightmares after - continuing the story of Yassa Povey.

robert_ellis

Or Return of the King - I love an undead chief judge returning! And great Ezquerra art!

Dark Jimbo

Quote from: robert_ellis on 09 July, 2015, 02:35:39 PM
I'd rather have the great Steve Dillon strip Nightmares after - continuing the story of Yassa Povey.

Yes, it makes most sense to stick the leads-ins and build-up into (what would otherwise be) a very slim Dead Man book, then bulk up Necropolis with some of the aftermath tales.
@jamesfeistdraws

Apestrife

I remember "Return of the king" as classic Enni's mean-Dredd, but it could probably do well as a fitting finish to Necropolis.

This is how I think I'd put it together.

The dead man:
The dead man (perhaps still taking one or two readers by surprise)
Letter to Judge Dredd & Tale of the Dead Man
Nightmares
Judge Minty (back up. This one really ought to be included.)
A Chief Judge resigns (back up. Puts McGruder in the cursed earth, introduces Silver)

Necropolis:
By Lethal Injection (one hell of a starter)
Rights of Succession
Dear Annie
Necropolis
Return of the King (back up)
Young Giant (back up. Further cementing it as an Ezquerra gig/volume)

robert_ellis

It's always a conundrum - do you want a volume which reads well or a run by the same artist with odd narrative jumps!

Steve Green

Hachette have just announced distribution for Australia...

The Monarch

Looks like my three book idea for devlin could be accurate i wonder how many missionary man will get