Main Menu

Last movie watched...

Started by SmallBlueThing, 04 February, 2011, 12:40:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Emp

Some shat Vampire flick with Burnside out of The Bill as the villian......i should have known better but i watched it all the same.

Tedious is the best word for it.

Orlok

Battle: Los Angeles.

Not too bad. The battle sequences were fairly realistic and the effects were top notch.

A few plot mehs and some schmaltzy American ID4 stuff in the last third spoiled it a bit, but the performances were ok.

When the [spoiler]officer died[/spoiler], I couldn't help feel it was playing out like an episode of Sharpe.

I don't understand why [spoiler]the mission had to end in a war turning revelation[/spoiler], either. IMO I think if they had ended it with [spoiler]the rescue of the civs and then getting stuck back into the alien slotting[/spoiler] that would have been a more sobering end.

Radbacker

Lethal Weapon, man thats a arsom piece of action they just dont make movies like it anymore even the sequals while enjoyable (well number 2's ok but dont think much of 3 or 4) pail.

CU Radbacker

The Legendary Shark

Wake Wood: Boring.

Troll Hunter: Magnificent!
[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

dweezil2

Battle for los angeles: Rubbish!

Probably my favourite line of dumb dialogue in a film stuffed with dumb dialogue gems was "I'm a veterinarian."

The ghost of Leslie Nielsen stalked this movie.
Savalas Seed Bandcamp: https://savalasseed1.bandcamp.com/releases

"He's The Law 45th anniversary music video"
https://youtu.be/qllbagBOIAo

Hoagy

Dead Snow. Hah! What a horrid little film that turned out being! Brilliant from beginning to end. Some genuinely scary moments in the build up and just pants down in the pub tastelessness followed it. As nasty as cold creamy cabbage. And, I liked greatly, the logic of why the situation had come about.

Halloween H20 was drab and mediocre and we all wanted Lee Curtis to get her life back. No real stand out moments unless you count pertness. Well I can say its been watched now.

Usual Suspects and Hannibal and Once Upon A Time... In the West for some classic advert dodging aswell.
"bULLshit Mr Hand man!"
"Man, you come right out of a comic book. "
Previously Krombasher.

https://www.deviantart.com/fantasticabstract

Definitely Not Mister Pops

His Girl Friday. I wish people still talked like that, ya hear me?
You may quote me on that.

Jared Katooie

Quote from: dweezil2 on 02 April, 2011, 04:30:24 PM
Probably my favourite line of dumb dialogue in a film stuffed with dumb dialogue gems was "I'm a veterinarian."

That was hilarious, though I did feel a niggling doubt afterwards over whether that was an intentional joke or not. Still, given that the whole rest of the movie was fairly po-faced, I'm guessing not.

Keef Monkey

Three movies yesterday. Gleaming The Cube, which is a lot slower than I remember. I'm surprised I had the attention span for it as a kid, but I guess the fact that it was totally radical and tubular etc. still made it super cool. Total eighties cheese  :)

Trick 'r Treat, which I'd never even heard of, which is odd considering it's got a recognizable cast and was produced by Bryan Singer. Don't remember it ever getting a release. It's actually a lot of fun, an Creepshow style anthology where the stories all run alongside one another and cross each other's paths. Very glossy and not scary, but fun.

Survival of The Dead, which while I agree with popular opinion is Romero's weakest zombie movie, is still great I think. The acting is ropey, the dialogue is cheesy and the poor CG makes you wish badly that he'd stick to physical effects. I think I mainly like it because in terms of story and setting it's very different from any other zombie films out there, which isn't easy at this stage. I find it pretty touching actually. Plus zombies make anything Win.

SmallBlueThing

Of Romero's 'second trilogy' (though of course, it's actually a fourth thematic original, then a reboot and a direct sequel) i have to say that Survival is possibly my favourite. It's funny, has some great characters, i love the script, the effects are exactly what i wanted to see, the music is the best since his masterpiece (Day) and he breaks his own rules, therefore throwing the industry of hangers-on that slavishly follow everything he does into panicked disarray. "Lets have zombies ride horses! That'll fuck with their heads!" he seems to be saying. And it has a hilarious and audacious plot twist. Excellent, Romero more or less invented the zombie, let him play if he wants.

I'm more of a fan of Land/ Diary and Survival than i am of just about anything else in the world. I love that Alan Van Sprang is in them all, and is now more closely linked to the series than anyone except Romero himself. I love that Romero took it back to the start (in so many ways) following his epic Land. I just wish we had a clear notification that he was doing a seventh, with AVS, to wrap up. Then an eighth, to begin a third story...
SBT

SmallBlueThing

In fact, and as usual, merely discussing Survival of the Dead has made me want to watch it again. It always happens. I think Romero has made his equivilent of The Wicker Man with this. His movies are always hated on release. Day was a 'massive disappointment' in 1985, and it took years and years before people began to treat it as his masterpiece. Nearly ten years on, Land is beginning to be reassessed; Diary and (more especially) Survival will have their day in the sun.
SBT

Greg M.

Just been watching 'Day of the Dead' yet again (as in, just finished watching it 10 minutes ago.) For me, it is indeed the greatest of all Romero's zombie films: the effects are stunning, the atmosphere is second to none, it has some of the choicest, most endlessly quotable dialogue (although 'Dawn...' would rival it in this respect.) It's the one I return to time and time again.

As for the most recent three... I like 'Land...', it's a great film. 'Diary...' on the other hand strikes me as a weak film. There is so little in it that does anything for me, much as I would want it to. I detest the CG effects: like Keef Monkey, I only want to see physical effects in a zombie film. There are flashes of genius (zombies in the swimming pool) but they are few and far between. 'Survival'.... well, it's better than 'Diary'. Once more, some strong moments and some great ideas, but I found it very uneven, and again, I am no fan of CG in general, least of all in a genre that relies in part on its viscerality for impact. I can see 'Survival' might grow on me, but 'Diary', probably not.

SmallBlueThing

Day is simply one of the best horror movies ever made, on a par with  The Thing, Halloween and The Exorcist. Its atmosphere reeks of oppression, its genuinely nightmarish and yet has flashes of high comedy throughout. It's without any doubt the strongest of Romero's zombie film and is an absolute masterclass of genre filmmaking. Everything, every note, is spot on perfect.

But it was loathed on first release, and bombed. We had it for five and a half days at our local cinema in 85, as snow delayed its arrival. I saw it three times; most memorably with five friends, who were visibly shaken on leaving, one complaining 'it was like being in a morgue for two hours'. It's always been my favourite; a real, proper, horror film that scares the absolute shit out of you, stays with you, and makes you think. Ive lost count of the times ive seen it now, and id imagine i'll never stop rewatching.

SBT

Mardroid

Interesting reading this. I tend to get the impression Dawn...was most people's favourite from the original trilogy! (Mind you, it probably still is. 2 or 3 blokes on a thread expressing love for Day... hardly sways that after all...) And while it is a very good film, I think Day...has always been my favourite of the original trilogy too!  Loved the trained zombie in particular.

Of the new trilogy, I quite like Land.... I've never really seen Diary... all the way through. Either my mind wandered, or likely I was doing something else while it was on. (I often visit web sites on my computer while there's something on in the background. The idea being, if there's something decent on, I can switch between the two. Turns out,my mind can't multi-task that way.) I've yet to see Survival....

Strangely, of the Romero films, the only one I actually own on DVD is  Night. Good film though.

SmallBlueThing

Funnily enough, of them all, Dawn is the one i like least. I find it massively overlong, and it doesnt deliver the prerequisite grue, having as it does some pretty basic makeups from an early Savini. I discovered Romero (and zombies) in the prosthetic-heavy Day, so the blue-faces of Dawn were never going to impress. I also find it all over the shop, tonally. I understand why it's so popular, but feel it's so of its time that 'you really had to be there'. To the generation who discovered Day first (of which i am a member) i think Dawn is simply wayyyy too seventies.
Heresy it may be, but id honestly prefer to watch Snyder's remake, even if the fuckers run.

SBT