Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
Film & TV / Re: Thor: Ragnarok (2017)
« Last post by Tiplodocus on Today at 12:35:42 am »
Feel that was all a bit harsh. Dunno why I'm not in a better mood.
Film & TV / Re: Thor: Ragnarok (2017)
« Last post by Tiplodocus on Today at 12:34:44 am »
So thought that was ok but not great. You've mentioned the things I liked above particularly the inventiveness and energy of the whole thing (except maybe the idea of the Bond style opening vignette) but the list of things I didn't like is pretty large.

For me, it had just too much self aware humour with just about every moment of super hero dialogue or action being undercut and diminished by a verbal or visual gag.  I get that was sort of the point but when it gets to the point that you can predict them (Hulk's heroic leap at the end) then they cease to be funny and just become annoying.

Twenty minutes too long but perversely the opening was too rushed and didn't give time for character moments to breathe (e.g. Helen's arrival so quickly after the boys have their moment with Odin).

Doctor Strange was utterly redundant and Thor screamed like a wuss far too much in the first half.

Hela was a one dimensional villain  ("Ooh I am evil, It's my  destiny"). Cgi army of bad guys was dull. I didn't like the cheesy synth score and some of the colourful spaceship shops looked well ropey  (possibly deliberate).

None of the action set pieces had a "Wow" factor for me.

So fun, as far from generic as you can get but far from perfect. Don't think I'll watch it again.

(I suspect We'll see more of this almost Parody style. Tiny Tips said he thought GOTG2 was similar; not seen it yet)

Yes, I know. I'm wrong.
Film & TV / Re: THE ORVILLE
« Last post by darnmarr on 17 November, 2017, 11:51:30 pm »
Most recent episode was just as bad; The Orville keeps getting harder to like..:(
Megazine / Re: Meg 390 The World's End
« Last post by DrJomster on 17 November, 2017, 10:54:27 pm »
Blimey, strong Meg this month. If you’re not subscribing, I’d seriously consider it good people!

Lawless was particularly fine. Very generous of Tharg to give us Helium, I must say.

Roll on next month!
Announcements / Re: 2000 AD - The Ultimate Collection
« Last post by Arkady on 17 November, 2017, 10:52:15 pm »
Ah, thanks. I didn't realise Ro-Busters originated in Statlord!
« Last post by The Amstor Computer on 17 November, 2017, 10:19:47 pm »
Sorry if I'm being thick but what's the Stront-RoBusters connection?

If the Strontium Dog volumes don't include the Starlord stories, it's a fair bet that - even if Ro-Busters makes it in - it will be missing the Starlord stories, which are included in the existing hardback Ro-Busters collections Rebellion put out.
General / Re: No October Art Comp?
« Last post by Woolly on 17 November, 2017, 10:14:26 pm »
1st - James Newell - Residents of the 2000AD's community art's block. Nailed it.
General / Re: No October Art Comp?
« Last post by Woolly on 17 November, 2017, 10:12:20 pm »
We could have a vote on this thread - no 2nd or 3rd (or prizes), just pick a favorite.
Voting ends when someone remembers and takes the initiative.

It'd pass the time, if nothing else...  :|
Games / Re: The Board Game Thread
« Last post by Third Estate Ned on 17 November, 2017, 09:37:26 pm »
I really enjoyed Dead of Winter as it turned out I was a traitor whose objective was to secretly prevent the community from surviving while pretending all the while that I was collaborating. I'm useless at lying and always burst out in fits of giggles but the great enjoyment came from everyone angrily blaming another player for dumping petrol and medicine in the food supply, then exiling him when he was totally innocent. His protests just reinforced their accusations and they just thought I was giggling at that.

It's quite a bleak scenario, though, for an evening's entertainment but it doesn't drag on.
« Last post by Arkady on 17 November, 2017, 09:24:01 pm »
Totting up the numbers, it doesn't appear to be in the initial run. Also, with Starlord Strontium Dog not being included, if you're considering the special offer on the Ro-Busters hardback, you might want to grab a copy.
I've followed this logic as well. Even if it gets included down the line it will be at least three years so I'm happy to plug for the bigger HB right now.

Sorry if I'm being thick but what's the Stront-RoBusters connection?
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10