Main Menu

Whats everyone reading?

Started by Paul faplad Finch, 30 March, 2009, 10:04:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Smith

You read Terminal city,right?  :)

The Adventurer

I have, and yeah now I recall that wasn't drawn by Motter either. It was weird then too, since I read it after all the Mister X and Electropois I'd read with him drawing.

THIS SPACE INTENTIONALLY LEFT BLANK

Smith

I finished GI Joe Classics.Well,I dont feel like I could say anything new or revolutionary about it;but I do have some issues with the last part of the series.Artwork goes all scratchy and Image-like.And the IDW "restoration" doesn't really help.Bit odd,since they usually do a pretty good job with that.And it gets a bit absurd,like the Joes fighting Terminators on a meteor absurd.And Snake Eyes looking like a zombie Rambo.Thou,considering this is mid 90's Marvel,it could have been a lot worst.
Second thing,IDW collections are really minimalist.They couldn't even be bothered to include the backup stories.IDW,this was not your best. :(

Dandontdare

Quote from: Smith on 22 July, 2017, 04:40:35 PM
And Snake Eyes looking like a zombie Rambo.Thou,considering this is mid 90's Marvel,it could have been a lot worst.

Were there pouches? tell me there were pouches!

Smith

Bad City Blue

Just read Survival Geeks, had forgotten how bloody funny it is.

Not generally a fan of Rennie, so I guess I must be a fan of Emma beeby!
Writer of SENTINEL, the best little indie out there

Smith

I finished Fables.Boy,that was depressing.

Theblazeuk

Hah! Yes. I've read the first two volumes of Birthright, from Image. Reminds me a lot of Rick Remender's 7 to Eternity (though I think Birthright started first) in artwork and some of the themes. Otherwise fun stuff, will be following through to 3 and 4.

TordelBack

End of Watch, Stephen King. What the fuck was that. Okay, I got the laboured message in the odd-but-interesting second Hodges book, Finders Keepers, that King was going to take his characters where they led him. But why did it have to be here? We've [spoiler]somehow gone from a straight crime novel setting, where Bill is essentially debunking supernatural overtones surrounding his last case, to one where the hitherto loathsome but ordinary killer acquires a plethora of psychic superpowers (not just one but three) through a head wound and magic pills: and this in a plot that could have worked perfectly well without ANY wholy supernatural elements beyond the force of Brady's personality and some copycats or willing accomplices. [/spoiler] A rare misstep for King.

Smith

I started Transformers classics UK,and I see what Indigo Prime meant way back then.

Its not the original page,its more like a picture of the original page. :(

The Adventurer

Was Transformers UK originally ashcan sized or something? because that is wacky

THIS SPACE INTENTIONALLY LEFT BLANK

Mute77

Id love a collected edition of the early transformers stuff but the massive white borders put me off. A shame. Great memories.

JLC

Just picked up the latest issue of Normandy Gold.  :cool:

Smith

Hoax Hunters...if you liked stuff like Cabalistic Inc. and BPRD,get Hoax Hunters.Like,right now.

Professor Bear

Star Trek: Khan: Ruling In Hell - spends its time continuity-wanking, and yet still ends up embellishing some details while completely jettisoning others.  For instance, Joachim from Wrath of Khan is now also Joaquin from Space Seed, even though they are not only completely different characters with different backstories and played by different actors, the former is Khan's son, hence his death being such a blow in WoK.  Another change is that Khan's wife dies in an act of betrayal by someone of lower rank to Khan rather than just poor luck, while Khan himself goes through a rather unconvincing arc where he at first worships Kirk, and then turns on him over time because of Screenwriting Book I read Once reasons.
While the biggest crime with continuity/fan-wank should be that it just doesn't feel like the characters (with even Kirk's brief appearance ringing false), I'd argue that the dumbest omission is that Khan doesn't meet Chekov, which is the very first thing you might expect continuity-wank to address, especially considering the last page stops just before one of Trek's most noted continuity errors.
Having established that it doesn't work as fan-wank, I am happy to say that the writer makes the most of an objectively great premise and gives us a rattling tale of ruthless warlords forced to battle over diminishing resources on a dying world - but saying it does not make it true.  It's not that this is bad so much as it is pointless and clearly made to fill out the four issues for which it was commissioned, but that's all.  I know nothing of Scott and David Tipton so cannot say if this is typical of their output, but it seems to me a young writer desperate to make their mark would have made a meal of this, and as it is, it just feels complacent and pointless, the comics equivalent of landfill.