Main Menu

Meg 380 - Get Ready, Texas City

Started by moly, 14 January, 2017, 07:06:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

James Stacey

Did anyone else have dodgy printing. One page of Dredd was a bit splodgy on mine and the weight of the print on the first page of Lawless was much heavier missing the fine line detail

Trent

Yes, as noted in my review pages 1 and 6 of Lawless were ink heavy and lacking in detail.
Didn't notice first time but, yes the corresponding Dredd pages on the other side of the staples are also blotchy.

CalHab

My copy also had the problem with 1 and 6 on Lawless.

Colin YNWA

When both the Prog and Meg are on this kinda form you know Tharg has much to celebrate. Absolutely top hole thrillage. Dredd holds the only possible claimant and that is speculative. I wonder how a new reader would have got on with this it felt so immerse in past events and the recap felt a little oblique? Me couldn't give a damn and I loved this, especially the use of Dredd as looming monolth in the first half.

Anderson was immense fun, beautifully realised. Paul Marshall is such an underrated gem in Tharg's pocket. Angelic ended with an absolute blast. Just supremely played out by all involved.

Of course all that pales, however good it was and it was so good,...but yeah pales next to Lawless. A simply magnificent strip starts a new story absolutely on the top of its game. The attack on Bedrock coming from an entirely unexpected angle. Brilliant, just brilliant.

The text pieces are a little lukewarm but when the strips are this good who cares.

Oh one slight downer the VCs floppies,  on the back of the recent S&D ones makes me miss Anthony Williams in the Prog. Whatever happened to him, not see his work in an age?

Pegasus P Artichoke

Top quality prog this week, could the Meg match up?

Too blooming right it could

Quality Meg

Dredd was superb, art story the pacing all good stuff for me. Dredd at his intimidating best

Angel has been a stand out story the last few months, like the look and feel of it immensely everything about it clicked

Anderson was good, I usually enjoy the Anderson stories so it has been a good time of late and this one looks to be another quality one

Lawless is just plain superb

We'll give them back their heroes

James Stacey

[Does the Happy Dance]
Remember having to traipse through hundred of pages of sexy ostriches each month. None of that. Top meggage. Dredd looks and reads fantastically, Anderson is looking good, whilst Angelic (has been and) is a bit thin the art more than makes up for it and finally the return of Lawless, the best new strip of the Toof stable imo in the last ooh ever so long. Oh and an intriguing new thrill tease.  Keep it up :)

ZenArcade

Aaaaahhhh....the tyrannical reign of the monstrous Sin/Dex is over. Z
Ed is dead, baby Ed is...Ed is dead

Smith

Quote from: ZenArcade on 20 January, 2017, 04:05:19 PM
Aaaaahhhh....the tyrannical reign of the monstrous Sin/Dex is over. Z
You say that like its a good thing. :)

DrJomster

I thought SinDex read well in the recent Megs. Def better in one go than reading weekly. Praise be to Tharg!

Brilliant Meg this month btw. Again. You talented droids, you!
The hippo has wisdom, respect the hippo.

JaHawkDroid

The Meg is on good form this month. Much as I enjoyed Blunt, I'm glad it's getting a rest - and the filmverse Anderson story was ok, but nothing groundbreaking.

This month, however, we've got a fascinating TC story in Dredd, which I'm looking forward to more of, as well as the rollicking conclusion to Angelic (which I've adored. Truly, it's been brilliant) which showed no signs of stopping right till the end - and what an ending it was.

A new Anderson story is always appreciated, so glad to see her in the pages of the Meg again.

Lawless is, judging by this episode, a deep story that I am currently missing out on the full details. And have to wait until June for a trade. Might have to digitally back issue up on the Meg to catch up with this - because the art is gorgeous, and the story seems solid.

Didn't much care for The VCs, truth told - but I find the reprints are very much a random assortment of good/bad, so I don't expect too much of those.

Overall, a great Meg, with a crap reprint packed in - but not to worry; as the Meg is worth the cost of admission alone. Stellar.

NapalmKev

The Meg has been on top form for a while now but Angelic stands tall above all else. The art and writing are spot on and I would love to see more of it.

Cheers
"Where once you fought to stop the trap from closing...Now you lay the bait!"

Hawkmumbler

That Pa Angel is a bit of a bastard, isn't he?! I find it utterly delightful that cynicle old me, who was somewhat drearly tired of both the Angels and Dark Judges am now utterly enraptured by prequels stories for both set's of foe's. Brilliant comics, is Angelic.

Frank

Megs 380 and 379 get nice reviews on Pete Wells's all new, all nice Judge Dredd Megazine Review Nicecast. Honest, he's nice about everything:

https://2000ad.wordpress.com/2017/01/29/megacast-379-380/

TordelBack

scrotnig

The strongest and most enjoyable line up in the Meg for a long time.

My views have already been stated by others, but ANGELIC is just so brilliantly done, the artwork is a joy, and the characters are so fantastically well fleshed out. Every panel just oozes tension and atmosphere. I've not seen anything this good since...well, since LAWLESS actually, as it happens. And here it is in the very same Meg. Quite how this continues to be so good escapes me. I'm in awe. It's so fresh and original, the artwork is just, well, a work of art....how come this strip was never thought of before? So glad to see it back. It just never gets old.

Those two strips would be worth the cover price alone, each!