Main Menu

Game of Thrones Season 7: It's A Bit Nippy Out (SPOILERS)

Started by Jim_Campbell, 18 July, 2017, 09:18:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sheridan

Quote from: Rara Avis on 08 August, 2017, 12:39:09 PM
It would be very surprising if that did happen but also kinda brilliant as we've had no main characters die since? ....Who was the last main character to die?

I don't think this will happen because of the Valonquar prophecy ... but you never know ..

I was expecting at least one of the main characters to die in the last few minutes, but nothing we've seen on screen conclusively says anyone has (and even when we do see someone conclusively die, they might come back, if [spoiler]Melisandre[/spoiler] is around).

Bolt-01

There was much shouting at the TV in the Bolt-house last night watching that episode.

[spoiler]Can't believe that Jamey will be killed like that (if indeed he will be) so I expect he'll be taken captive by Danaerys & co.[/spoiler]

JOE SOAP

Quote from: Rara Avis on 08 August, 2017, 09:08:25 AM
The most surprising thing that might come out of this is that [spoiler]Jamie drowns off screen in his armour.[/spoiler] but that's highly unlikely. Or is it?

If he were intended to die he would've just been allowed to [spoiler]roast in dragon flames rather than pushed into the drink[/spoiler].

radiator

QuoteValonquar prophecy

...which, if you remember did not happen in the TV show, only the books.

But yeah, I agree with the others - there's no way [spoiler]he's dead - he still has stuff to do in the story.[/spoiler]

It was a phenomenal scene - probably the most impressive sequence in the entire series to date, but a bit weird for them to spend so much resources on a [spoiler]scene that ultimately didn't have any substantial events - ie no important characters died[/spoiler]. I was sure for a minute there that [spoiler]Bronn was about to go out in a blaze of glory and take the dragon with him, but in the back of my head I was thinking that if they're going to kill one of the dragons, it won't be Drogon[/spoiler].

As great as that scene was, the earlier 'cave' scene was pretty embarrassing...

QuoteWell he appears to be causing trouble with Jon / Sansa, he is in effect the ruler of the Vale until Robin reaches his maturity and we have been given some clues that he knows the truth about Lyanna and Rhaegar so he may know about Jon's parentage. As the White Walkers converge on the wall once again Littlefinger is in the thick of it and who knows what trouble he will stir up. He may be only giving the appearance of being in a weakened position to put other characters at ease.

Again, none of this satisfyingly answers the question of what the hell he's doing, why it's worth the risk or how it benefits him or any kind of coherent plan. Littlefinger was a mastermind for the first few seasons, and we've seen time and again how he has directly profited from the events he helped create (it's implied in the books that he precisely orchestrated the War of the Five Kings so that it would end with him in control of the Vale, the only region not devastated by the war, and it's speculated that the arrival of the White Walkers - the one thing he couldn't forsee - will lead to his doom), whereas in the show, he's just been pointlessly hanging around Winterfell, waiting for one of the Starks to figure out he betrayed Ned and take him down.

Rara Avis

Getting [spoiler]roasted by a dragon is such an honourable way to die as opposed to just drowning inyour armour[/spoiler], no?

Quote from: JOE SOAP on 08 August, 2017, 01:46:27 PM
If he were intended to die he would've just been allowed to [spoiler]roast in dragon flames rather than pushed into the drink[/spoiler].

Rara Avis

I was sure there was a scene where Cersei is talking about her visit to Maggy the Frog and she tells someone about the prophecy. I know in the flashback at the opening of Season 5 it's not mentioned but I was sure this was in the tv- sphere as well because let's not forget that valonqar means [spoiler]little brother and as she was born first, Jamie is technically her younger brother too[/spoiler]

It would be very George if that did happen though. This is like [spoiler]Arya and her jump in the river last season[/spoiler]

By the way, I loved seeing [spoiler]Arya back in Winterfell but she was so smug in her fight with Brienne I was glad when she got booted in the chest[/spoiler]. I'm concerned with the way the character is being written. The writing started getting sloppy towards the end of last season and it looks like it's continuing. Part of the affection I had for the character was [spoiler]her[/spoiler] vulnerability but now that [spoiler]she's a full on battle trained ninja face stealing warrior she's[/spoiler] turning into a bit of a dick.

That final scene was good but it was no [spoiler]Battle of the Bastards[/spoiler]

Yes the cave scene, such convenient [spoiler]graffitti[/spoiler]

Littlefinger could just possibly [spoiler]be trying to gain the Stark children's confidence so he can betray them at a later date. We saw him this episode sucking up to Bran because he thought he was Lord of Winterfell. Another possiblility is that he is spending time with the Northerners and Vale people simply so he can study them, learn their weaknesses and exploit that at a later date. Maybe he's just still there because the Vale men and others want to stay and make sure that the castle is Winter ready. [/spoiler] We just don't know yet. None of the Starks's would have figured out his plan or what's he done , that is expect the Stark that is now the Three Eyed Crow.

Quote from: radiator on 08 August, 2017, 04:36:21 PM
...which, if you remember did not happen in the TV show, only the books.

Again, none of this satisfyingly answers the question of what the hell he's doing,

radiator

No, that specific part of the prophecy was entirely cut for the TV show adaptation - I'm guessing because it's hard to convey it's meaning and significance without the book's ability to convey Cersei's thoughts and fears on screen, and perhaps because it signposts future twists too much.

On Littlefinger, we'll just have to agree to disagree. I totally get that he's trying to play Sansa and Jon against each other - I'm just saying I can't really see a convincing reason for him doing so.

As far as I'm concerned, very little Littlefinger has done (in the TV show) since murdering Lysa Arryn has made a lick of logical sense, nor will it pay off in any satisfying way, and a once all-powerful 'mastermind' type figure has been totally defanged as a result. I also suspect that his little speech to Sansa in last week's episode is pretty much the writers giving up and trying to cover up this fact with some vague nonsense about 'fighting every battle in your mind'. I may be proved wrong, but I doubt it.

Rara Avis

OK if you say so, it can be very confusing keeping track of book GoT and tv GoT.

I just don't see his character petering out (pardon the pun). Maybe he's just there so he can be exposed for what he's done. I see him going out with a bang!

sheridan

Quote from: Rara Avis on 08 August, 2017, 12:39:09 PM
It would be very surprising if that did happen but also kinda brilliant as we've had no main characters die since? ....Who was the last main character to die?

I don't think this will happen because of the Valonquar prophecy ... but you never know ..
Off the top of my head, I can't think of anybody since [spoiler]Tommen[/spoiler] and [spoiler]Hodor[/spoiler].

Rara Avis

They weren't main characters though, they never really had their own seperate story arcs but they were important characters.

I guess [spoiler]Stannis [/spoiler]was the last main character to die?

sheridan

Quote from: radiator on 08 August, 2017, 04:36:21 PM
It was a phenomenal scene - probably the most impressive sequence in the entire series to date, but a bit weird for them to spend so much resources on a [spoiler]scene that ultimately didn't have any substantial events - ie no important characters died[/spoiler]. I was sure for a minute there that [spoiler]Bronn was about to go out in a blaze of glory and take the dragon with him, but in the back of my head I was thinking that if they're going to kill one of the dragons, it won't be Drogon[/spoiler].
I wouldn't say it didn't have a substantial event - this is, after all, the [spoiler]return of Targaryen and draconic warfare to Westeros.  Up til now the average Westerosi has believed dragons to be merely the stuff of legends and stories.  Assuming the Lannisters can't keep it secret (and most other news in Westeros travels at unrealistic speeds for the mediaeval / dark age mileau) then the cat will be out of the bag[/spoiller].  Just wait until the Westerosi in the street gets a load of the White Walkers.[/spoiler]

Rara Avis

It's worth noting that Dany rides dragons and doesn't believe in the White Walkers ...

sheridan

Quote from: Rara Avis on 08 August, 2017, 09:10:22 PM
It's worth noting that Dany rides dragons and doesn't believe in the White Walkers ...
She'll come around...

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: Rara Avis on 08 August, 2017, 09:10:22 PM

Protestants believe implicitly in the existence of God and the possibility of their redemption through Christ's sacrifice on the cross, but utterly reject transubstantiation. Belief's a funny thing.
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

Rara Avis

It just seems ridiculous to me that she's riding around on the back of a dragon and yet doubts the existence of a zombie army.

The preview for next weeks shows Jon getting close up wit Drogon, I wonder if it will recognise his [spoiler]Targaryen blood?[/spoiler]