Main Menu

Dark Justice / Dominion / The Torture Garden

Started by sheridan, 12 January, 2018, 12:01:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sheridan

After waiting two years post-Chaos Day, I must confess I was a little disappointed by Dark Justice.  It looked great and was a competent story, nice world-building.  But we'd been told that Wagner had sworn off of writing more Dark Judges but was only swayed when he saw a particular painting by Staples, and that this had sparked an idea.  As I say, two years, hype and expectations meant that to me it was a good story, but not a great one. 

However, with the conclusion of Dominion and the promise of The Torture Garden to come it's getting much more interesting, taking the three as a whole.  The main strength, of course, is that outside of Mega-City One, anything could happen.  With The Fall of Deadworld we know with near certainty that sooner or later all the living characters are going to die at some point (barring trans-dimensional or possibly off-planet escape).  The only characters here can easily live or die without causing any continuity or logistics headaches with other stories (as long as they keep away from Badrock!)

Now, how long will we have to wait for The Torture Garden?

sheridan

p.s. I do mean that I now find Dark Justice more enjoyable now, in light of what has followed so far.

Colin YNWA

I'm pretty much with you there, except that I've not read Dark Justice that I thought was pretty damned average and one of the weakest Wagner's for a while. Tempted to do that, but so much to re-read.

Dominion has completely revitalised the Dark Judges for me for the first time since Necropolis. There's been the odd moments before but I've winded on at lenght of how I wish they were done with. Then Mr Wagner manages manages to make them terrifying horror monsters again, so hats off to you!

I can't wait for The Torture Garden now.... as for Deadworld, well its not harming the course is it!

Proudhuff

I would prefer if the four stooges were left in deep space where no-one sells ice cream.

However they don't exist in my Dreddworld, except the initial story, so carry on chaps!
DDT did a job on me

Andy Lambert

I'll never tire of the Dark Judges - I bloody love em!

JayzusB.Christ

Quote from: Proudhuff on 24 January, 2018, 01:23:49 PM
I would prefer if the four stooges were left in deep space where no-one sells ice cream.

However they don't exist in my Dreddworld, except the initial story, so carry on chaps!

Necropolis didn't happen then?
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

Proudhuff

DDT did a job on me

jabish

Is torture Garden definitely going to be written by John Wagner, does anyone know?

Steve Green