Main Menu

Does my (a.i.)art look big in This?

Started by The Legendary Shark, 23 January, 2024, 09:32:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Legendary Shark

Last two, promise. I'm getting bored with this myself, to be honest. It takes too long to get an image that's suitable, let alone close - and never spot on. I ended up trying to change the "joke" to fit the image, which isn't what I really wanted.

So I think I can call this experiment a failure, especially in light of V14's insightful "scrappy amateurish scrawl" comment.

But AI must be good for something for an aphantasic artist like me, so next I'm going to try using it for something else.

Stay tuned!

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

Jimmy Baker's Assistant

Quote from: The Legendary Shark on 14 February, 2024, 01:01:45 PMBut AI must be good for something for an aphantasic artist like me, so next I'm going to try using it for something else.

I don't think AI art is ever going to give you what you want. Unless you want 150 pictures of Power Girl with 6 fingers. Then you're massively in luck!

M.I.K.

I'm not saying aphantasia isn't a drawback for visual artists, ('cos it stands to reason it would be), but there's a surprising amount of really quite accomplished artists with the condition, including the bloke who designed Disney's Little Mermaid and Beast from Beauty and The Beast.

Inversely, there's a lot of folk with a very vivid mind's eye who can't draw for toffee, (or any other confectionery of their choice), in the same way that you can't just stick most folk down in front of a landscape with a bunch of paints and expect them to produce a masterpiece.

Vector14

Quote from: Jimmy Baker's Assistant on 14 February, 2024, 04:19:11 PM
Quote from: The Legendary Shark on 14 February, 2024, 01:01:45 PMBut AI must be good for something for an aphantasic artist like me, so next I'm going to try using it for something else.

I don't think AI art is ever going to give you what you want. Unless you want 150 pictures of Power Girl with 6 fingers. Then you're massively in luck!

The worry for me, is that in the not so distant future AI art will have developed so it gives people exactly what they want.
And it will be impossible to distinguish from real art.

The Legendary Shark

I dunno. Maybe it will force real art back into the real world, onto paper, canvas, and clay - driving up the value. Digital art, I feel, is most at risk - but I also feel that digital artists will find a way to use AI (as does the speaker in M.I.K.'s "A.I. Art book Scam" post on the Implications thread). Artists are imaginative and will find ways to use this freed genie. Unfortunately, scammers, cheats, and general ne'er-do-wells are also imaginative. The world will adjust, as it always has.

The artists known as scribes who copied out volume after volume may have been eventually rendered obsolete by the printing press, but it also ushered in new artists like wood-carvers for illustrated volumes and later cartoonists and photographers. That process took centuries, but this A.I. thing won't take long at all, I expect. From now until the dust settles might take less than a decade, maybe two. By then, artists and scammers will have found the best ways to use A.I. - as did the artistic or scammy scribes, printers, wood-carvers, cartoonists, photographers, Photoshoppers...

The genie's out of the bottle, so how should we use its power?

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

Fortnight

AI is still far too much in its infancy to be properly intelligent enough to do most creative things decently, and the one thing that's lacking in order for it to create art is less to do with intelligence and more to do with other aspects of humanity, and that's opinion, preference, taste.

It's all fine and well AI being "I" enough to do smart stuff, but when will it know what it likes? That's a whole other ball game. Your taste is fashioned from personal experience over your lifetime, the things that were around you at various stages of your life, the limitations of what you could do, see and find in your locality, and the other 'intelligences' around you at those times and what they were experiencing. Your taste is formed from what you couldn't experience just as much as what you could. AI going to struggle at that for a long while yet.

Until then, this half-arsed AI we've got now is just going to get in the way. Intelligence without humanity is just not going to cut it with art.

To continue my previous analogy of digital inbreeding, society needs to regard it as being as distasteful as actual inbreeding in order to halt it in its tracks. Once the novelty wears off.

The Legendary Shark

I don't think A.I. will ever be truly intelligent because it lacks the biological component that gives rise to the chemically induced emotions that lead to intuition, empathy, creativity, etc. All it will ever have is the cold, emotionless, logical side. 

The way I understand it, when I am writing a sentence, I have an innate feel for what word comes next and many sentences arrive fully formed in my head with the correct words already in the correct order. An A.I. constructs its sentences one word at a time, knowing only which word probably comes next. I presume the art works in the same way, the A.I. "artist" knowing only which pixel probably comes next, so small errors degenerate into extra digits or missing limbs. The A.I. doesn't have the intelligence to step back and examine its own work or notice obvious flaws. 

I'm thinking it might be very good for generating textures and such.

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

The Legendary Shark

In my attempts to find a use for a.i. I decided to try and reproduce an image I've shared here before; first as a crappy sketch in an old challenge and then as a crappy digital painting based on it, like so...

So, with these here past monstrosities in mind I first generated a load of images at perchance.org like this...

I then opened the GIMP and applied what can only be described as a shed-full of faff to end up with this brand new a.i. assisted monstrosity...

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

The Legendary Shark

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]