Main Menu

New Poll: What is the unfunniest funny story ever published in 2000AD?

Started by 2000AD Online, 01 December, 2006, 12:16:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

2000AD Online

I, Cosh

We never really die.

Satanist

Sooner or Later but no Bec N Kawl. For shame.
Hmm, just pretend I wrote something witty eh?

jabish

balls brothers, sooner or later and teenage tax consultant were all the business. I cannot believe Beck and Kawl aren't there. That's so unfunny its not even stupid. I'm still witing for a new series of the balls brothers!!

I, Cosh

Some might say I have too much time on my hands, but the results are already in: http://img143.imageshack.us/img143/4183/comedyscoressx1.jpg">
We never really die.

Adrian Bamforth

There could be a few more options there - Time Flies has at least as many misses than hits when it comes to jokes.

ADE

Oddboy

Space Girls - because the other four are all funny!
Better set your phaser to stun.

Emperor

Space Girls - because the other four are all funny!

Then again I had started to believe that Space Girls wasn't supposed to be funny. It was more an experiment designed to see how much abuse people would take before cancelling their subscription.

Most of us fools hung on crying ourselves to sleep muttering "it must get better soon, it must. Hold on a little longer. Remember the heydays."

In years to come it will be up there with the Milgram Experiment and the Stanford Prison Experiment.

Due to this major flaw I refuse to vote.
if I went 'round saying I was an Emperor just because some moistened bint had lobbed a scimitar at me, they'd put me away!

Fractal Friction | Tumblr | Google+

Art

Satanist

Oh and what about Millars Robohunter. That was as funny as a kick in the nuts.

And yes I have (painfully) experienced both.
Hmm, just pretend I wrote something witty eh?

Lobo Baggins

Oh and what about Millars Robohunter. That was as funny as a kick in the nuts.

It never even occured to me that Miller's Robohunter was supposed to be a comedy strip until I read a comment on the interweb, you know.

I was almost tempted into going back to reread it to look for the jokes, but decided against it in the end.

I thought about it for all of four or five seconds before disregarding the idea...
The wages of sin are death, but the hours are good and the perks are fantastic.

Jim_Campbell

"the results are already in"

What? Am I reading this right?

DR & Quinch, the least funny story in 2000AD history?

(I haven't even been drinking. Much.)

'DR & Quinch Go To Hollywood' is one of the funniest strips published. Anywhere. Ever.

You could write a fucking thesis on how to construct good comedy based on this story: a succession of increasingly funny gags, each perfectly good in its own right, each building on its predecessor, until you reach the sublime:

"What's the matter with him? Can't he ...

"...read?"

Only two finer examples of genuinely funny comics ... pretty much the whole of the Giffen/DeMatties Justice League run and (yes, for the umpteenth time*) Morrison's 'Beard Hunter' issue of Doom Patrol.

Cheers!

Jim

*Doesn't stop it being true, though.
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

Floyd-the-k

You're right that there could be more options. I was interrupted in my poll-making. I'm fixing it now.

Floyd-the-k

Right, the poll is now fixed. If there's any other 'meant to be funny' stuff I've missed, let me know.
  I started this poll because I rubbished 'Sooner or Later' in a review on the 2000adreview site and discovered that it had fans.
  My personal list of 'supposed to be funny but aren't' is:
Sooner or Later
Bec n Kawl
Space Girls (which became an icon for awfulness)
Time Flies (had the odd moment, nice art, but overall, awful)

funny stuff I liked:
DR and Quinch
Abelard Snazz
Balls Bros

when I got to read the Teenage Tax Accountant, after years of hearing about how bad it had been, I didn't mind it - partly because of the nice Gibson art, partly because it wasn't as awful as I'd been lead to believe

Tiplodocus

I'm taking a stand and refusing to vote in this (and I'd probably refuse to vote in a shittest artist pole as well).

After all, humour is about as subjective as things come.

I personally wouldn't argue that people must like DR and Quinch because it's brilliantly constructed. Switch on a TV in the seventies and you'll see a thousand brilliantly constructed jokes - even in stuff like LOVE THY NEIGHBOUR - I just don't happen to find them funny.

For the record - I found DR and Quinch hilarious and actually really enjoyed Balls Brothers. I can appreciate the craft that goes into Bek and Kawl and how cleverly put together it is but it's not my cup of tea mostly - but I can see how some people would like it.

Oooh - hark at me. Two glasses of wine and I thinks I know all about humour.
Be excellent to each other. And party on!