Main Menu

New Poll: Dante: Burns or Fraser?

Started by 2000AD Online, 25 April, 2007, 11:02:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

2000AD Online

Funt Solo

Ah, but it's not a fair poll.  Each artist has left their mark on the series to such a degree that you can't have one and not the other.  (For this reason, I was ecstatic to see Fraser back on Dante - but not to the detriment of Burns.)

Fraser got my vote because he started it, and I ever-so-slightly prefer his work to Burns.  It's got more edge.

Of course, in his favour, Fraser can be partially credited with the 2000AD renaissance.  It was (for me) Sinister Dexter and Nikolai Dante, together, that proved 2000AD was still capable of creating long-lasting, iconic characters, bulging with imagination and thrill-power (instead of hanging on the over-stretched coat tails of Dredd and Slaine).

And it was one of the major highlights of last year to see Fraser return to art duties on Dante, just as Dante returned to the core plot threads that had been left dangling for several years.
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

Pete Wells

Both artists have produced some amazing work in this strip. I'd say that Dante is one of the few stories to guenuinely tug at my heartsrings. So in all honesty I'd have to go for...

Robbie Morrison.

Yes, Simon designed the look of the character and his amazing world and Burns really gave Tsar Wars the epic feel it deserved but massive respect is due to Robbie for giving us a truly, almost consistantly, excellent strip.

So, I'm copping out of the Burns/Fraser debate (I love 'em both) and am saying Morrison - ha!

Keef Monkey

I voted Fraser. I thought his art on the last Dredd he did was terrible and I do like Burns work too, but for some reason when Fraser does Dante it just feels more like Dante for me. I don't recall, was he the first artist to do it?

Keef Monkey

Scratch that, I just remembered I have a prog sitting next to me and a pair of eyes with which to look at it,so that question has now been answered.

Dunk!

Fraser 'cos it's his character and he defined the universe.

Though Burns has done some stella work and i think was the best choice for the battlescenes during Tsar Wars.
"Trust we"

Goaty

"Burns was the best choice for the battlescenes during Tsar Wars."
I agree! and Fraser good for stories!!!!

Ignatzmonster

Both. I like it better when Burns uses more ink. When he just paints it losses some sense of ballast. Check out his work in Tsar Wars One, you'll see I'm not talking total nonsense.

Adrian Bamforth

Me too, I prefer some of Burns' pen and ink work - usually I prefer Simon on Dante because the faces and expressions are just a bit more alive, even though Burns is in other ways the better artist.

Matt Timson

To my eyes, Burns is a far superior artist- but I prefer Fraser on the strip.  Just one of those things.
Pffft...

Dark Jimbo

Depends entirely on the story.

For instance:
Fraser can draw the Tsar, Konstantin, weapon crest stuff, neo-Russian architecture and a serious or 'troubled' Dante better than Burns - but Burns can draw Elena Kurakin, Jena, Viktor, and a happier, cheekier Dante better than Fraser.
@jamesfeistdraws

Dunk!

I agree Burns work is best when more pen and ink.

Nicolai Dante's face as he first approaches his motherĂ¢??s pirate ship, in the strip that introduced her, is one of my favourite images. Dante summed up to a tee.

Ever watched Burns sketch at a con? It's amazing for his lack of structure lines and his use of negative space. Not a wasted pencil mark. 50+ years in the business shines through.
"Trust we"

Judge Merlin

I have to go with Burns. His art on Raider is still one of my favourites.

I, Cosh

Fraser for sure. Burns has ups and downs (as noted above, generally coinciding with whether or not you can see the lines) whereas Simon is much more consistent. Plus, creating a lot of the look and feel of the series.
We never really die.

ukdane

4 people have currently voted for both.
Cheers

-Daney