Main Menu

The Political Thread

Started by The Legendary Shark, 09 April, 2010, 03:59:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

IndigoPrime

Yes, God forbid MPs go with their convictions and try something different. (I had a friend go full-on conspiracy about where the "website was incorporated" or some such shit recently. Yeah, it has a domain cloaking service that anyone in their right mind would use, and that one – used by literally millions of people – is based in Panama or something.)

Leigh S

I'd feel more convinced by their convictions if they hadn't spent all their efforts trying to reverse change and pretend that "steady as she goes" Centrist austerity capitalism was not in need of the slightest change, and it was the voters who needed to get over it.  I say this as a pretty despairing remainer, and not as a conspiracy nut who thinks that there is a Global effort to drain the 99% dry.  It is just the natural result of 40 years of Politics for politic's (and vested interests with the ear of politicians) sake.  What change are they actually advocating for?

Quote from: IndigoPrime on 29 March, 2019, 05:13:03 PM
Yes, God forbid MPs go with their convictions and try something different. (I had a friend go full-on conspiracy about where the "website was incorporated" or some such shit recently. Yeah, it has a domain cloaking service that anyone in their right mind would use, and that one – used by literally millions of people – is based in Panama or something.)

IndigoPrime

Moderation and internationalism, I suppose. Neither of the main two parties want that. Frankly, TIG is basically a less liberal and economically Clegg-era (vs. Kennedy-era) Lib Dems. But then the LD brand is a bust now, and not enough people will vote for them.

Leigh S

Which is fine if they can find a way to make either of those "work" with the electorate - The problem being that the image that most readily springs to mind for use against that brand is Hilary Clinton style "basket of deplorables" bubbled off politics -the kind that reacted to the 2008 crisis with "money for banks, so no money for you" as opposed to seeing that 'change' was precisely what was needed.

I think you can draw a line directly from that failure of the Left/Centre to spot what was obvious to the weaponisation of the fall out by the Right.  So, I'm all for change - the desire for change is what has got us Brexit, Trump and Corbyn. Corbyn, for all the failings real,imagined and trumped up, was a phenomenom because of the desire for change (moreso than anything inherent in him as a force for change, you might argue, but thats beside the point).   These are teh very politicians who were terrified and bewildered by that groundswell.

For a group of people who represent the thing people felt needed changing in the first place to call themselves "Change", they need to explain how that works at the very least as a first step, how that works - like if the all the Empire Admirals at the end of "Jedi" decided to form a breakaway party of "Admirals for Change" - forget that Darth Vader guy and the Death Star stuff - terrible business, though there were less rebellions and big explosions back when it was just us Admirals in charge.... If their idea of change is "the Galaxy worked well when there were more stormtroopers"... it isnt really change they want is it?

Quote from: IndigoPrime on 29 March, 2019, 07:59:38 PM
Moderation and internationalism, I suppose. Neither of the main two parties want that. Frankly, TIG is basically a less liberal and economically Clegg-era (vs. Kennedy-era) Lib Dems. But then the LD brand is a bust now, and not enough people will vote for them.

Leigh S

To be fair teh more accurate anaolgy would be the Jedi council headless chickening about in the prequels, but hopefully you get my point!

Professor Bear

I don't read the spin-off Star Wars media where all this wankery was established, but the backstory to the Sequel trilogy is apparently that after Jedi, centrists fucked everything up and then some fascists took over, so there's probably a germane analogue in there somewhere if you want to go looking for it.

Professor Bear

On Channel 4, a journalist just congratulated Heidi Allen on being the leader of Change UK.  Allen's response: "is that what they're calling it?"

Theblazeuk

I think more or less this is spot-on, but with the last part mainly used as a rhetorical put-down if you give a shit about things.

Professor Bear

If I hadn't seen about 30 critiques of that Gillette toxic masculinity advert coming from the left, I would agree, but critical thinking is alive and well and that strip - while well-made - is inherently incorrect in its central assumption that capitalist exploitation of dissent is a simple matter of seeing a thing and then using it to advertise Nike shoes or Pepsi.  People aren't stupid and social movements aren't homogeneous, not even on the far right where groups argue specifically for things like race nationalism - though obviously I am not entirely sure about the net cultural gains of having the EDL and BNP's latter turns as spokespersons of zionism.

Definitely Not Mister Pops

That Gilette thing was mad. I now present a short dramatisation:

Twitter: RABBLE! RABBLERABBLE!
Me (the hero of the piece): What's wrong now twitter?
Twitter: IT'S FECKIN' @GILETTE, MISTER POPS, YOU SEXY GENIUS!
Me: Gilette? The Razor people? For shaving? Don't you all have beards?
Twitter:YES!
Me: Ah, you've decided to finally shave and now you're angry to discover they charge you the guts of a fiver for a small piece of metal mounted in plastic?
Twitter:NO!
Me:No?
Twitter:THEY MADE A FECKIN ADVERTISEMENT!
Me (feigning understanding): Ah....very good carry on Twitter.

FIN
You may quote me on that.

IndigoPrime

Bercow having fun this evening. He just shat all over hard Brexit options, and now the Tories hate him even more than they already did – if that's possible.

Professor Bear

Quote from: Mister Pops on 01 April, 2019, 06:40:07 PMThat Gilette thing was mad.

To be fair, it's got a ways to go to beat Sunny D marketing their disgusting drinks by having the person running their Twitter account pretend to be contemplating self harm.

JOE SOAP

Quote from: Professor Bear on 01 April, 2019, 07:31:19 PM
To be fair, it's got a ways to go to beat Sunny D marketing their disgusting drinks by having the person running their Twitter account pretend to be contemplating self harm.

That'll be the high corn-syrup content.

The Legendary Shark

Drinking Sunny D is self harm.

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

The Enigmatic Dr X

I don't frequent this thread, but I came here to see if there was any common sense on Brexit.

That's not a slur on anyone posting here. It's just that I have no idea where else to go, and this board is usually sensible.

What are we all to do? How hand-wringy a thing is that to post? How true, though?
Lock up your spoons!