Main Menu

V For Vendetta Question

Started by Funt Solo, 19 April, 2005, 06:05:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Richmond Clements

then the americans had to colour it in pink and yellow washes for some reason

Lloyd did the colouring himself.

I got into comics via 'Tooth, Dark Knight Returns, Camalot 3000 & Watchmen. Are we talking similar quality then?

Yup.

Satanist

Buy!Buy!Buy!

V is my mates fave comic bar none.

IMO its a bit dated but just like some B&W films it doesnt stop it being a classic.

Yer in fer a treat.
Hmm, just pretend I wrote something witty eh?

Bolt-01

V is class of the same standard as Miracleman. And it also suffered from the same broken pace when it stopped in Warrior.

Bolt-01

johnnystress

i meant was it had to be coloured for the american market- correct me if im wrong

as im sure you will

I think it looked waay better in black and white

Richmond Clements

No, you are correct.
But I dunno about it looking better in Black and white, I kind of like the subtle colouring job on it.

Jared Katooie

"So...question: Is V For Vendetta like the Citizen Kane of comics (in that it's regarded as a classic but really, most of it's tricked have been copied so many times that they don't really seem original anymore and whilst it's impressive on first viewing, it's not really something you'd bother watching again)"

For me, yes. I read the whole thing and was left fairly dissappointed. Then again I'm not the sharpest sandwich in the toolbox so some of the more complex concepts of the story may have been lost on me.

I wasn't too impressed with Watchmen either so by board logic that means my opinion is pretty much worthless... ;)

Sin City and Sin City: Yellow bastard are great but forget about the other ones they're the same only less impressive.

J.

johnnystress

well i suppose im kind of biased- when I first bought it, the comic book guy gave out yards about "fucking americans won't read anything in black and white" and proceded to rant about how great V for Vendetta was in the Warrior magazine.

I prefer the b/w but its all good

I think if it was designed to appear in black and white- and i think it was, that Lloyd played to his strengths in his use of monochrome art- so colouring it was sort of an afterthought, and unnecessary, in my opinion

Imagine Sin City coloured*!

shudder

* the red and yellow bits dont count:)

Smiley

V For Vendetta always meant to have that characteristically British B&W atmos from somewhere halfway between the dreariness of post-war Ealing films and 60's TV spies, so colouring it in was a bit daft and missed the point IMO, but the compromise was done okay.

therev

I've got Nightraven: The Collected stories by ??? & Lloyd and I wasn't too impresed by the art, where as with Watchmen & Dark Knigh....OH BUGGER IT rather than dilly-dalling I'm going to buy the sodding thing "because I'm worth it" or something!

There, just ordered it through the joys of the Interweb.
If I don't like it I'll blame you all you know!!
;-)

Quirkafleeg

>I wasn't too impressed with Watchmen either so by board logic that means my opinion is pretty much worthless... ;)

Yes, plus you are Irish.

Always thought the art in V looked a bit old-fashioned... harking back to another age, but that entirely suited it