Main Menu

2000 AD - The Ultimate Collection

Started by Molch-R, 27 February, 2017, 06:03:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tjm86

Dandontdare

Quote from: Dark Jimbo on 18 May, 2018, 10:27:21 AM
A thing that struck me on this re-read was how obvious it is that 'Love and War' was written to run after Battleship Potemkin (presumably changed to facilitate Si Fraser's schedule).

There seems to be a bit of left hand not knowing what right hand was doing - Can't have been intentional to use the name "Love and War" for both the one shot after Courtship, and also the later book - that's going to be confusing!

Arkady

Quote from: rs_jr on 18 May, 2018, 10:58:32 AM
Hi guys,

How important is robusters for the ABC warriors and if it needs to be read before.

What about the early Strontium dog that was not published by 2000ad (starlord) how crucial is it before starting the ultimate collection?

Thanks

I was REALLY glad that I read Ro-Busters before starting ABC warriors. While the first half of the first Ro-busters volume is a bit of juvenile slog, the rest is pretty great. And it absolutely does set up the backstory and personality of several of the key characters and adds resonance when they show up later.

Starlord Strontium Dog... take it or leave it. The first story chucks you straight in anyway... though the Gronk is introduced in those stories.

Jim_Campbell

"The Fall and Rise of Ro-Jaws and Hammerstein" landed in my early 2000AD reading and sticks with me still. Some of Mills at his most potent, and McMahon making some very interesting modifications to his style due to being paired with O'Neill. There's a lot to like in that story.
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

SmallBlueThing(Reborn)

Having a look over the three Nikolai Dante volumes released so far, and comparing them to previous collections (DC/ Rebellion volumes 1-9) and the progs (stopping briefly to imagine my wife screaming "THE *SAME* F**KING COMIC?!- THREE TIMES?!?!") I have discovered niggles.
The initial splash page of Hachette 1 is missing the text. Was this in the original progs? (Mine are boxed away upstairs, and Emmerdale is on).
Why do the Hachette volumes start by removing all the start of episode captions and logos and episode titles, but then later on start reprinting them?
I love the look and feel of the Hachette versions, but am missing the covers galleries that the earlier editions printed at the back.
Like I say, niggles. Mainly, having reread Dante a couple of times over the last few years, I've always felt that initial text over the very start of the story was vital. Am I wrong? Was it ever supposed to be that way? How did it start in the progs?
I'd go up and check... But after Emmerdale is double Corrie and it's the start of a big week, what with Phelan being back and all.

SBT

abelardsnazz

Quote from: SmallBlueThing(Reborn) on 21 May, 2018, 07:26:12 PM
Having a look over the three Nikolai Dante volumes released so far, and comparing them to previous collections (DC/ Rebellion volumes 1-9) and the progs (stopping briefly to imagine my wife screaming "THE *SAME* F**KING COMIC?!- THREE TIMES?!?!") I have discovered niggles.
The initial splash page of Hachette 1 is missing the text. Was this in the original progs? (Mine are boxed away upstairs, and Emmerdale is on).
Why do the Hachette volumes start by removing all the start of episode captions and logos and episode titles, but then later on start reprinting them?
I love the look and feel of the Hachette versions, but am missing the covers galleries that the earlier editions printed at the back.
Like I say, niggles. Mainly, having reread Dante a couple of times over the last few years, I've always felt that initial text over the very start of the story was vital. Am I wrong? Was it ever supposed to be that way? How did it start in the progs?
I'd go up and check... But after Emmerdale is double Corrie and it's the start of a big week, what with Phelan being back and all.

SBT

I'm not sure about all this, having never read Dante before these volumes. I think I picked up on all the events well enough though, and with volume 3 thought the contrasting styles of Simon Fraser and John Burns fitted the developing storylines very well. Great stuff.

glassstanley

The text was there in the prog, & first two GN editions. It was removed from the art for the previous reprint. There, it was printed on it's own on the page immediately before the initial splash.

Looks like whoever sent the files to Hachette didn't realise this had happened.

Tomwe

Quote from: glassstanley on 21 May, 2018, 11:23:38 PM
I was under the impression that Rebellion were designing these books in-house?
(see comment from Pye Parr who didn't get to design this series though I suppose i might have misinterpreted that)

Dark Jimbo

The text was there in the prog, & first two GN editions. It was removed from the art for the previous reprint. There, it was printed on it's own on the page immediately before the initial splash.

The 'missing' text is, perhaps, rendered a bit redundant by the 'Story so far' blurb just two pages earlier...
@jamesfeistdraws

TordelBack

While I'll happily campaign for the inclusion of the 'historical' captions, and indeed all the episode-break paraphenalia, I've always hated that introductory blurb.  Put me right off, it did!

djbawbag

Dark Jimbo

So volume 20 contains - Bad Boys Bust, Portrait of a Mutant, Gronk Affair, Kid Knee Caper and The Moses Incident. One hell of a line-up...!

Repro is generally excellent, although some of Moses Incident looks just a touch heavy with the blacks to me. Hard to know for certain without another edition to compare it to, though. Even so, it's hard to imagine any new readers who didn't quite see what the fuss was about with vol.1 not being won over this time!
@jamesfeistdraws

sintec

Quote from: Dark Jimbo on 22 May, 2018, 07:39:57 PM
it's hard to imagine any new readers who didn't quite see what the fuss was about with vol.1 not being won over this time!

I'm really looking forward to this volume for precisely that reason.  Reading Strontium Dog was one of the main reasons I initially signed up for this series.  The 2 modern volumes have both been fantastic but Vol 1 was a bit lacklustre I'm hoping 2 is going to be a different beast.

Shame it's still a month away for us postal subscribers :(

Dark Jimbo

Quote from: sintec on 23 May, 2018, 03:27:32 PM
Quote from: Dark Jimbo on 22 May, 2018, 07:39:57 PM
it's hard to imagine any new readers who didn't quite see what the fuss was about with vol.1 not being won over this time!

The 2 modern volumes have both been fantastic but Vol 1 was a bit lacklustre I'm hoping 2 is going to be a different beast.

Aye, the big shame of not including the Starlord strips are that Galaxy Killers and Journey Into Hell are thrust forward as an introduction to the characters and set-up; and they aren't really very good at that, being off-kilter a-typical tales. It isn't really until Schiklegruber Grab that the strip starts to feel like 'proper' Strontium Dog, for my money...
@jamesfeistdraws

rs_jr

Any idea if Defoe will be included?

and is Defoe done or is it winding down?

Thanks