Main Menu

2000 AD - The Ultimate Collection

Started by Molch-R, 27 February, 2017, 06:03:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Frank

Quote from: rs_jr on 29 May, 2018, 06:35:42 AM
is Defoe done or is it winding down?

Colin MacNeil doesn't want to do another book, so the strip's back in limbo.

TordelBack

Quote from: Frank on 29 May, 2018, 06:54:49 AM

Undead, you say?  A-huhnnn-huhnnn-huhnnn.

sintec

I don't recall Defoe being on any of the previously discussed lists of upcoming titles. Maybe one for an extension should one happen.

abelardsnazz

Loved Strontium Dog volume 2. The team knew exactly what they were doing with the character and his world, resulting in one of the most iconic stories in Tooth's history with Portrait of a Mutant. Brilliant stuff, Johnny's introspection balanced with the action and Wulf's pragmatism. Can't wait for more.

The Monarch

i would rather have anything by john smith than defoe in the collection if i was being honest

Magnetica

Quote from: Frank on 29 May, 2018, 06:54:49 AM
Quote from: rs_jr on 29 May, 2018, 06:35:42 AM
is Defoe done or is it winding down?

Dumb question, but can't they give it too another artist ( or should I say can't Pat choose another artist to do it)?

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: Magnetica on 29 May, 2018, 07:01:19 PM
Dumb question, but can't they give it too another artist ( or should I say can't Pat choose another artist to do it)?

I'm sure Pat said he was struggling to find one, even though I've helpfully volunteered Pete Doherty for the job. :-)
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

Magnetica

Wow I'm pretty shocked that Pat can't find a suitable artist - not that I know anything about the process, but I would have thought there would be lots out there who would jump at the chance.

Not sure if you were being serious about Pete Doherty, but he would be great.
After a quick check of Wikipedia I am a bit surprised at how long it has been since he has done any stories for Tharg - more than ten years.

Frank

Quote from: Magnetica on 29 May, 2018, 07:01:19 PM
I'm pretty shocked that Pat can't find a suitable artist ...

David Hitchcock and Stewart K Moore have spoken publicly about auditioning without success. Another published artist fared no better.

Defoe's a tricky gig. Artists who are great at the gore and horror atmospherics might not be so adept at action and designing new technology*, and vice versa.

* I don't know if Defoe was specifically designed to play to Leigh Gallagher's strengths, but that seems to be how it worked out.

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: Magnetica on 29 May, 2018, 09:32:49 PM
Not sure if you were being serious about Pete Doherty, but he would be great.

I was joking in the sense that I regularly give him shit about not drawing enough comics, and in the sense that there is even the slightest chance that I could catch the ear of Mr Mills, but not with the actual suggestion. I think Pete would absolutely knock it out of the park. 
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

TordelBack

It's a shame about Colin, i thought he did an incredible job. Tiernan Trevallion seems the obvious choice to me, but if he got diverted from Absalom I would be most displeased. However, I'm now drooling at just the merest passing thought of a Chris Weston version...

Super Mario

BPP

Jesus Redondo still chugging at 83... man does a good horror turn.
If I'd known it was harmless I would have killed it myself.

http://futureshockd.wordpress.com/

http://twitter.com/#!/FutureShockd

Jade Falcon

Quote from: BPP on 30 May, 2018, 11:55:04 PM
Jesus Redondo still chugging at 83... man does a good horror turn.

I remember he did a few of the old Starblazer comics, like Promised Planet and Pirates of the Ether Sea.  When I saw his origin of Torquemada in Nemesis, I instantly recognised his style.

When the truth offends, we lie and lie until we can no longer remember it is even there, but it is still there. Every lie we tell incurs a debt to the truth. Sooner or later, that debt is paid. That is how an RBMK reactor core explodes. Lies. - Valery Legasov

IndigoPrime

"Issue 19 and 20 were dispatched on the 25/05/2018 expect delivery before the 08/06/2018. for any further assistance send us a private massage."

So rather than bringing these subscriptions closer to their original schedule, that's a two-day slip. Oh well.