RIPs

Started by Quirkafleeg, 27 February, 2006, 03:03:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Spikes

Goodbye, Castro.
Hello, McDonalds.

:(

Tombo

A murderous, homophobic, corrupt, tin-pot dictator who subjugated millions of people has died (thirty years too late in my opinion) and the left is acting like a holy saint has passed away.  Fucking hell the man was one of the last hold outs of an outdated, evil ideology responsible for more death and suffering than fascism.

I hope he rots in hell 

Goaty

Ron Glass - Book of Firefly

CrazyFoxMachine

...pff. I know some pretty far "left" folk and even they have been quick to acknowledge all the executions, heavy control and grinding poverty it took to make that particular system work. Among all the devastated grievers on and off that island today you'll find a fair few people celebrating too. Neither views are invalid I don't think. It's fascinating how divisive a figure he is given ambivalence or glowing praise the more US/UK-friendly brutal leaders like Abdullah bin Abdulaziz Al Saud get when they kick the bucket.

I'm not constructing a straw-figure of my own I just think local and global context is important when talking about any national figurehead. Our own Churchill approved gulags in Kenya and the use of chemical weapons in the middle east but people in the UK largely choose to ignore those facts in order to focus on his status as a rousing wartime leader. It's entirely relative. It's not the preserve of the contemporary 'left' nor 'right'. To decide what people will remember about Castro - as he himself said "history will absolve me" and I suppose now in the following decades we may get to see if he's right.

Professor Bear

I loved to bash ol' Castro when he was alive and I don't imagine I'll stop just because he's being bummed by devils now, but only a complete fucking idiot would try to play the card about him being objectively worse than other world leaders while the puke is still warm from Uncle Sam crowning a tangerine child-rapist as their new king.
By all means criticise the man and what he did, but don't try doing it from the moral high ground.

JOE SOAP

Quote from: Goaty on 26 November, 2016, 09:43:40 PM

1980's Twilight Zone - Ron played a great sloganised Satan in the story I, of Newton

sheridan

IAMTHESYSTEM

No, No! Surely not him as well! Fuck u 2016.
"You may live to see man-made horrors beyond your comprehension."

http://artriad.deviantart.com/
― Nikola Tesla

von Boom

Quote from: JOE SOAP on 26 November, 2016, 10:48:56 PM

1980's Twilight Zone - Ron played a great sloganised Satan in the story I, of Newton

I, of Newton was my favourite story from that series. RIP.

TordelBack

Quote from: IAMTHESYSTEM on 27 November, 2016, 10:38:22 AM

No, No! Surely not him as well! Fuck u 2016.

Seriously.  I'd had enough of this nonsense back in January. Every morning over breakfast it's 'so who died today, Dad?'.

Zarjazzer

http://www.startrek.com/article/remembering-ds9-guest-star-fritz-weaver-1926-2016

Fritz Weaver he of many appearances in multiple series across the decades. :(
The Justice department has a good re-education programme-it's called five to ten in the cubes.

Robin Low

Joe Dever, author of the Lone Wolf gamebooks. Only 60.

Dammit,

Robin

Spikes

Batman's Superior Cousin

Quote from: Robin Low on 30 November, 2016, 08:40:56 PM

Dammit,

Robin

:(
I can't help but feel that Godpleton's avatar/icon gets more appropriate everyday... - TordelBack
Texts from Last Night

TordelBack

Quote from: Robin Low on 30 November, 2016, 08:40:56 PM

That's a shame, no and at all, and those books gave me many days of fun. Must dredge them out of the attic for the kids.

He and Gary Chalk should have been able to parlay Magnamund into an empire of RPG books and computer games, it was by far the strongest of the 'choose your own' settings. Instead it seemed to end up as bungled Mongoose projects and lacklustre kickstarters.