Main Menu

Threadjacking!

Started by Proudhuff, 11 June, 2012, 02:32:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tjm86

The heat is clearly getting to me and I'm starting to think completely bonkers thoughts for this time of the morning.  Latest line of completely bonkers thinking?  R2-D2 and C3PO in a New Hope are modelled on Rosencrantz and Guildenstern from Hamlet.

Reasoning:

- both sets of characters are supplementary to the main character.
- both sets of characters are tasked with the delivery of an important message.
- both sets of characters are generally either lost, confused or following the paths laid out by others.

C3PO is clearly Rosencrantz (or possibly Guildenstern).  Often confused, generally following aimlessly and hoping for the best.  Completely out of his depth.  R2-D2 is clearly Guildenstern (or possibly Rosencrantz).  Far more purposeful and aware of his responsibility but still largely controlled by the task he has been commissioned to fulfil.

In the next episode:  How Romeo and Juliet was clearly modelled on Attack of the Clones.

M.I.K.

George Lucas famously based R2-D2 and C3PO on characters from Akira Kurosawa's "The Hidden Fortress".

But...

Akira Kurosawa was really into Shakespeare, adapting a couple of the plays to a feudal Japanese setting and lifting elements for other films.

So you might not be far off.

The Legendary Shark

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

I, Cosh

We never really die.

Colin YNWA

Tjm86

The Legendary Shark

I'm feeling comfortably lost.

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

Colin YNWA

The Legendary Shark

Can't do videos on this old comm unit.

Still lost.

Still comfy.

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

Colin YNWA

The Legendary Shark

Is this what we're doing?

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

Funt Solo

QuoteGeorge Lucas famously based R2-D2 and C3PO on characters from Akira Kurosawa's "The Hidden Fortress"

++ A-Z ++  coma ++

Tjm86

Quote from: The Legendary Shark on 08 July, 2018, 05:46:31 PM

I'm feeling comfortably lost.

"Rosencrantz and Guildenstern Are Dead" has to be Stoppard's finest piece of work.  The Disney version with Tim Roth and Gary Oldman is outstanding (and unfortunately incredibly hard to find on DVD now).  It was performed in London last year with Daniel Radcliffe as Rosencrantz (or Guildenstern) and was a close second.  Richard Dreyfuss, for me, absolutely nailed the part of Playmaster so the Disney version still has the edge.

"Like Kurosawa I make mad films
Okay I don't make films
But if I did they'd have a samurai"

The Legendary Shark

Thank you - sounds like one for The List.

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

Colin YNWA

Quote from: Tjm86 on 08 July, 2018, 08:13:13 PM

"Rosencrantz and Guildenstern Are Dead" has to be Stoppard's finest piece of work.  The Disney version with Tim Roth and Gary Oldman is outstanding (and unfortunately incredibly hard to find on DVD now).

Well this chat made me have another look, gave up looking for this a while back and low and behold there's a 25th Anniverary edition available on Amazon as I type.