Main Menu

Dredd Memes!

Started by shaolin_monkey, 31 January, 2013, 04:43:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mididoctors

Quote from: Bat King on 11 February, 2013, 12:33:56 AM
Quote from: mididoctors on 09 February, 2013, 02:57:43 PM

Absolutely no idea what this reply means...

examples

ie the point you made in regard to grammar was perceived by the poster..in this case me as missing the point. I was objecting [tongue in cheek] not to the grammatical use of the punctuation but its stylistic use.

macro memes of that style are often or mainly free of punctuation..its a tradition if you like.

the effect is one of slight dissidence in regards to language... ie it is not completely spelt out. this also creates a delayed affect which adds something [not sure what but thats the ineffable nature of art/culture i guess] the idea is like its an in joke but everyone is in on it

the joke here was to counterpose the notion of grammar Nazi vs macro meme Nazi which is a double joke at the expense of macro meme cultural expression because it suggests that its radical "hip" nature is every bit as formalised as proper queens english... hence defanging its subversive pretentions

it loses comedic timing somewhat  in the explanation  :D

basically you haven't missed anything

shaolin_monkey

Hmmm.  So was that helmeted parrot the Norwegian Blue?  Beautiful plumage. 

Mind you, if it hadn't been nailed to it's Sector House it would have been pushing up the daisies.

I take your point about the meme having it's own formal structure in language, and that it's subverting of the English Language is as straitlaced as formal English anyway, in it's own way.

But I still can't bring myself to do it.

Tiplodocus

Quotepoint about the meme having it's own formal structure in language, and that it's subverting

To my old eyes, it just seems that somebody has reverse engineered this as an excuse to explain away the fact that they never bothered to learn English grammar and punctuation.
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

Professor Bear

"Meme" is as much the process as the subject, Tips.  Basically put, religion is a meme because it's the process of spreading an idea like an infection, but (insert name of current pop singer) is also a meme, as is Star Wars, X Factor, or anything else that develops an awareness in the public consciousness after "going viral" - meme is just a fancy way of saying "a notion or a bit of knowledge that has been passed from one person to another", and you are correct that text-speak has been after-the-fact rationalised as a meme, but it isn't an attempt to excuse it, it's just a label used to explain the scientific process of people copying each other's behavior.  Correct spelling and grammar, being something we learn, is just as much a meme.

In the context of this thread, the meme is an in-joke combined with several other in-jokes to pretty much be baffling in isolation, much as the board's own in-jokes* would be baffling to complete newcomers, but it could be worse - you want to take a butchers at YTMND, a comedy website that comes with its own wiki to explain why you should be laughing, usually because someone has made a reference to something that existed once.  It's pretty much Family Guy taken to its logical conclusion.

* Sc**o, "like driving a car into a bus queue", arsom, etc

MR. ELIMINATOR

Quote from: Thunders McQueen on 11 February, 2013, 01:12:43 PM
"Meme" is as much the process as the subject, Tips.  Basically put, religion is a meme because it's the process of spreading an idea like an infection, but (insert name of current pop singer) is also a meme, as is Star Wars, X Factor, or anything else that develops an awareness in the public consciousness after "going viral" - meme is just a fancy way of saying "a notion or a bit of knowledge that has been passed from one person to another", and you are correct that text-speak has been after-the-fact rationalised as a meme, but it isn't an attempt to excuse it, it's just a label used to explain the scientific process of people copying each other's behavior.  Correct spelling and grammar, being something we learn, is just as much a meme.

In the context of this thread, the meme is an in-joke combined with several other in-jokes to pretty much be baffling in isolation, much as the board's own in-jokes* would be baffling to complete newcomers, but it could be worse - you want to take a butchers at YTMND, a comedy website that comes with its own wiki to explain why you should be laughing, usually because someone has made a reference to something that existed once.  It's pretty much Family Guy taken to its logical conclusion.

* Sc**o, "like driving a car into a bus queue", arsom, etc

Tiplodocus

Quotean in-joke combined with several other in-jokes to pretty much be baffling in isolation

So that wouldn't be a joke then? 

All jokes need to have an element of common reference to work. The danger with topical material is always that somebody isn't up to speed.

What we seem to be doing here is creating a set of common reference points which aren't funny in and of themselves and actually aren't that common either.

That's the bit that baffles me.  This seems to be an exercise that will only ever be understood by twenty people.

But interesting to see it all in action and if I had more time on my hands, doubtless I'd be doing this sort of thing.

shaolin_monkey

Quote from: Tiplodocus on 11 February, 2013, 01:38:41 PM
Quotean in-joke combined with several other in-jokes to pretty much be baffling in isolation

That's the bit that baffles me.  This seems to be an exercise that will only ever be understood by twenty people.

But interesting to see it all in action and if I had more time on my hands, doubtless I'd be doing this sort of thing.

Initially, yes, a meme starts off with one thought or concept, usually with just one person.  The fascinating part is watching that meme spread, and the power it has.  While these Dredd memes may only start being understood only by a select few, they have the possibility of spreading until Dredd memes are as ever-present and understood as the cat/Cheezburger ones.

I'll give you another example of a meme that doesn't involve a picture of a cat or Dredd, which illustrates how concepts spread, and their power

From a moral point of view, I will always support the concept that a woman has the right to choose when, or even if, she wants to procreate.  This concept has been bourne of a combination of ideas (ie feminism) and the availability of birth control.  This is the first time EVER in our history that a woman can control biological drives, and therefore not procreate.

However, if it wasn't for the initial meme (the concept that a woman should control whether she wants to reproduce or not) the pill would be irrelevant.  The abstract concept that this biological function belonging to creatures that reproduce in the same fashion should be subverted at will, is an incredble meme. 

The power of this concept, this meme, is removing DNA from the gene pool. A woman who chooses to follow this meme, and not reproduce, is removing herself from the gene pool, because of the power of a thought.

This particular meme has basically bypassed drives created after millions of years of evolution.

Isn't that amazing?  Doesn't that show how powerful memes are?

James Stacey

(I got this off Memebase so that makes it 1/2 way viral)

Bat King

Nope, I think they are still spam... I'm lost to the point of them. A picture with a witty comment I can obviously see is intended as a joke. But mass regurgitated images with half baked jokes are just spam.

I think my attempt to understand the phenomena is a failure. And I again now find that I fail to see how they are in fact memes. Oh well.
Blog
http://judgetutorsemple.wordpress.com/

Twitter
@chiropterarex

Professor Bear

Quote from: Tiplodocus on 11 February, 2013, 01:38:41 PM

So that wouldn't be a joke then?

To all but 20 people, probably not, though I dare say these won't be the last 2000ad-related in-jokes we see on the board, as they certainly aren't the first - or even the first that someone had to explain to someone else.

vzzbux

You mean my 'Kano not thinking outside the box' joke. One for the Bad Company community.

V
Drokking since 1972

Peace is a lie, there's only passion.
Through passion, I gain strength.
Through strength I gain power.
Through power, I gain victory.
Through victory, my chains are broken.

mididoctors

Quote from: shaolin_monkey on 11 February, 2013, 09:10:41 AM

But I still can't bring myself to do it.

its ok I am not being that serious...it is the meme thread after all

as in it isn't

mididoctors

Quote from: Bat King on 11 February, 2013, 02:32:45 PM
Nope, I think they are still spam... I'm lost to the point of them. A picture with a witty comment I can obviously see is intended as a joke. But mass regurgitated images with half baked jokes are just spam.

I think my attempt to understand the phenomena is a failure. And I again now find that I fail to see how they are in fact memes. Oh well.

and I have no problem respecting such a view as memes can be pretty repetitive..which is kind of the point I guess but  also why I would for my part keep them on teh meMe thrd

Fisticuffs

Man this thread went from amusing diversion to grumpy old mans club pretty fast. :p

Tiplodocus

Maybe it has - but you gotta appreciate the power of that initial concept (meme) I started spreading.