Main Menu

Prog 1930 - Trojan Hearse

Started by IronGraham, 09 May, 2015, 10:23:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

IronGraham

New sub prog today Slaine cover by Mr Davis not my favourite of his still very good. All the same except a new terror tale by C.B. Harvey, David Hitchcock and Ellie De Ville.
We're werewolves not swearwolves

IronGraham

Just read in the letters page that [spoiler]Absalom is returning[/spoiler]
We're werewolves not swearwolves

IndigoPrime

A decent Prog on the whole, with Strontium Dog now feeling a bit old-school but not racist, Dredd and Grey Area hotting up, Sláine getting all bloody, and a nicely horrific one-off. But PYE-01's departure is the big news for me. He's done some great things regarding the design of 2000 AD products, and it'll be a huge pity to see him leave.

Bolt-01

Beat me to it. Pye-01 is one of my heroes over at the Nerve Centre. He will be missed.

Colin YNWA

Pye01 leaving is a shame. As Bolt01 says he is indeed a hero of the Nerve Centre as ably discussed here at AlexF's rather wonderful blog.

http://heroesof2000ad.blogspot.co.uk/2015/03/no-7-matt-smith-simon-pye-parr.html

Hope he finds all the success he wishs wherever he goes to next.

Dark Jimbo

Sturdy, respectable cover, but not a classic.

Always a pleasure, Droid Life.

Dredd ticks onward. Enjoying this one but can't think of much to say about it, unhelpfully!

The Terror Tale was fun. Abrupt ending, I thought, but then it must be hard to work in the confines of a four-page format.

Tharg's announcement that the new line-up hits in prog 1934 was a shock, as it means that the current line-up is well over halfway through - and Slaine's only just got going. As if to add insult to injury, this weeks' episode took me about thirty seconds to read. It's not bad by any means, but the decompression is just getting silly.

Grey Area still oodles of fun.

Strontium Dog cracks on in excellent style. Ezquerra's art starts to falter a bit this week with some loss of detail as we approach end-of-deadline time but his design-work makes up for that. Loved the fish folk.

Well, you could say much the same about this whole prog as I did the cover - sturdy, respectable, but not a classic in and of itself.
@jamesfeistdraws

Ghost MacRoth

Cover: Nice art, but a tad dark to catch the eye of the passing fan on a newsstand. 

Dredd:  As I'd hoped, it distinguishes itself from Mandroid with Bud's more criminally minded motives for me. 

Terror Tales: Nice bit of B&W art, but a fairly forgettable tale.

Slaine: Lumbers on.

Grey Area: Seems to have turned into 'Prison Break: In space!', but not in a bad way. 

Strontium Dog: Pretty faultless in every regard.  Hopefully this heralds a return to the moody tracker of old, and we can dispense with saving the world/mutant race type stuff.  I definitely prefer the smaller scale tales.

Good prog overall, only slightly let down my the Terror Tale.
I don't have a drinking problem.  I drink, I get drunk, I fall over.  No problem!

Colin YNWA

Quote from: Ghost MacRoth on 09 May, 2015, 03:12:44 PM
Dredd:  As I'd hoped, it distinguishes itself from Mandroid with Bud's more criminally minded motives for me. 

Quite right too. I alluded to the Mandroid set up in last weeks Prog but Wagner quickly moves past that and takes us into a really well executed thriller. Really enjoyed it this week.

As I did Slaine which was quite superb, Grey Area which was pretty damned superb and Strontium Dog was old skool superb.

Four great episodes of series that have been on very good form. The Terror Tale looks quite wonderful, I'm a big fan of David Hitchcock's art.The story is just a little flat. Its not terrible, but nor is it particularly engaging.

Still 4 out of 5 winners and you can't really have any complaints can you.

Banners

Weird panel layout in Slaine - are they supposed to be narrow houses?

Colin YNWA

Quote from: Banners on 09 May, 2015, 04:35:51 PM
Weird panel layout in Slaine - are they supposed to be narrow houses?

I really, really liked that. If I was going to over think it and still get it wrong probably I'd say it echos the narrow slices of vision you get between the trees of the forest, or through the confines of the the Trojan's helmets.

But probably its just looks kinda cool.

I, Cosh

Slaine is never done sending people to the narrow house.
We never really die.

Jacqusie

Am I the only one who thinks the cover is poor?

It's way too dark for 2000Ad, (which Is supposed to attract new readers right?) a muted pallate and it's pretty static in it's image...

I've lost the plot with the story inside, where he's going, what was happening at the start of previous story & how it ties in with what he's doing now, it feels like I'm reading this monthly for how little is happening...

radiator

I'm a bit behind - is Wagner back on Dredd?

Frank

Davis's covers for this series haven't been as great as the interior art, where his use of vivid colour and strong composition are extraordinary. Pat Mills should write a series for Davis that's set entirely in the woods: every time Davis breaks out the green paint - from the Samain, to the encounter with the giant, to Slaine going First Blood on some Trojans - the quality of the art goes off the chart.

The pose and palette of this week's cover make me think Davis had this in mind: