Main Menu

Stuff you really should love, but just don't...

Started by mygrimmbrother, 19 October, 2012, 03:48:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dandontdare

Quote from: Charlie boy on 20 October, 2012, 06:19:12 PM
Quote from: Dandontdare on 20 October, 2012, 06:17:32 PM
saw that on TV years ago - it's a bad, bad movie. Bad. Movie. Bad.
Why has everybody got to see this gold apart from me?

Quote from: Charlie boy on 20 October, 2012, 06:25:31 PM
Slightly different to the trailer I saw, but http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WQSy643xHcY

there are a few clips on the woeful title song http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V8_saGeAUy0, and a cringeworthy interview here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A1ECr4-YaXM

Charlie boy

TRULY appreciated! I'll be having a look at those links; I just hope The Cosh notices these last few comments, otherwise Hearts of Fire has been introduced to this thread for no reason whatsoever!

Frank

Quote from: Charlie boy on 20 October, 2012, 05:51:49 PM
Oooh, 80s Dylan! Even the biggest fans tend to pretend that never happened from what I've noticed! Out of curiosity have you ever seen the trailer for the film he was in back in the 80s- Hearts of Fire? I caught the trailer years back on VHS but there seems to be no record of it online (which is a shame, cos I'd love to see that trailer again!)

Hearts of Fire was a Richard Marquand joint.

Dylan plays a perm-haired Nazi spy who is shipwrecked on a forest moon, where he's trapped in a net and revered as a God by a tribe of cute perm-haired and honking-voiced smaller versions of himself. He's goes around stabbing people until he falls in love with a Scottish crofter's wife, who discovers that the typewriter upon which John Lennon and Nick Cotton wrote Love Me Do has the same raised 't' character as the one Dylan played as a member of Max Rebo's band, and throws him off a cliff.

That's how I remember it playing out, but I only saw it once during a weekend-long Marquand retrospective.

locustsofdeath!

Dredd 3D: I love 2000AD, and Dredd in particular; he was the first non-Super Hero comic character I really got into, and in some ways influenced the direction of my comic book reading (no Super Hero comics for me).

But the film did nothing for me. I didn't think it was terrible, I just didn't think it was very good.

(and yes, I went a second time to be sure)

Mardroid

Quote from: pops1983 on 20 October, 2012, 04:41:21 PM
Episode III is on now. All three of those movies should have been narsom, but instead....

Basically any Star Wars that isn't the original three movies or the 90s Lucasarts games like X-wing and Dark Forces. I have never been able to get into the extended universe at all.

Actually, judging on most online opinion I've come across, I'd say the Star Wars prequels are something I shouldn't like but do!  Strangely I agree with some of the points people make... (the 'obviously acting' style of, er,  acting makes me wince inside) yet I still rather like them. Particulaly 2 and 3. And chunks of 1.

Okay my list:

Lager - Actually I don't dislike the taste. And the idea of a thin carbonated beer as a thirst quencher seems good, and the occasional bottled kind is okay, but I've found the pints just don't agree with me. I tend to feel a bit sick after a pint. Mind you, I can feel sick after drinking any beer, but I can usually drink a pint or two of the thicker stuff, and as long as I don't drink too quickly, I'm all right.

Sport - I'm just not into it. Too repetitive. Very little in way of story.*  I did go to a football match with a mate once. (Bromley vs Woking in case you're interested. We were backing Bromley -living in that vicinity, but Woking won. )  Thought I'd give it a chance. While I'll admit the bits when the ball got close to the net were somewhat exciting, it would then move away again, and by the time someone did score, my attention was elsewhere and I missed it! I enjoyed going to the grounds pub afterwards though.

The Young Ones. Most of my generation seemed to love this. I'll admit, I haven't seen that much, but thought what I have seen, largely rather rubbish. I did watch a bit last year, to see if my extimation was the same as my tolerance seems to have broadened as I have gotten older. (Which seems converse to most people.) I did like it a bit better, and found it funny in placed, but by large, no thank you.

*Amusingly I did rather enjoy American wrestling for a bit. I stopped when I found out the results were all staged. I mean, it was obvious there was a lot of acting going on, and things were exaggerated, but I thought the actual results of the match themselves were for real! It was still pretty funny stuff though.

Spikes

Most of the Coen Brothers output, but especially the Big Lebowski.
but No Country for Old Men is perfection, though.

Charlie boy

I FINALLY know another person who doesn't particularly rate Lebowski! Some of their early stuff is great tho; always loved Raising Arizona. Thought they picked up again with Burn After Reading myself tho.

Frank

Quote from: Judge Jack on 20 October, 2012, 11:25:25 PM
Most of the Coen Brothers output, but especially the Big Lebowski, but No Country for Old Men is perfection, though.

Saved yourself at the death there, Jack.

Quote from: Mardroid on 20 October, 2012, 11:19:36 PM
Lager - the occasional bottled kind is okay, but I've found the pints just don't agree with me. I tend to feel a bit sick after a pint. Mind you, I can feel sick after drinking any beer, but I can usually drink a pint or two of the thicker stuff, and as long as I don't drink too quickly, I'm all right.

I can't imagine why anyone would want to drink a pint of anything, let alone foul-tasting shite that makes you talk a load of shite; but in Scotland you might as well announce that you used to hang out in Jimmy Savile's dressing room as refuse the offer of a can of Tennents. This betrayal of my true nature is only compounded by my hatred of chips. I remember liking them, and I can't walk past a chippie without the smell making me want to buy a poke of chips; but they're always rubbish - as are my Mum's chips, oven chips, and MacDonalds' fries. Chips are just pish, although expressing that opinion round here means I'll probably be forced to move South after the referendum in 2014.

I, Cosh

Quote from: Charlie boy on 20 October, 2012, 06:30:17 PM
TRULY appreciated! I'll be having a look at those links; I just hope The Cosh notices these last few comments, otherwise Hearts of Fire has been introduced to this thread for no reason whatsoever!
Ha. Been away since yesterday but yes, I have seen the trailer for this but never the film. I recall a helicopter. May need to keep an eye out for it in the charity shops.

While 80s Dylan records may be derided (even though Infidels is quite good) I think the unpredictability of his touring show has remained constant. The reason for the 12 year old Cosh being dragged to the aforementioned NEC gig was that my parents and their mates had been to see him at St James Park a couple of years previously and this event is still referred to in the same terms which would apply had Hendrix been resurrected to announce the second coming live on on the pitch following Scotland's victory in the 78 World Cup final.
We never really die.

NapalmKev

Baked beans!

Absolute rancid muck! (enjoyed by millions)

Cheers  :)
"Where once you fought to stop the trap from closing...Now you lay the bait!"

Buttonman

Mad Men - my brother raves on this but I find it really dull and nothing happens.

Lord of the Rings, Game of Thrones - basically any fantasy thing with hairy people with funny names.

Link Prime

Quote from: Buttonman on 21 October, 2012, 03:24:02 PM
Mad Men - my brother raves on this but I find it really dull and nothing happens.

Lord of the Rings, Game of Thrones - basically any fantasy thing with hairy people with funny names.

You're dead to me.

Professor Bear

Oh yeah, good call on Mad Men.  Dull and over-reliant on "ha ha, look at the past and what they thought of things" - Carry On Cleo did that much better.

Albion

Pizza

My reason for this is I don't like cooked cheese. I love cheese but as soon as it gets even slightly warm it tastes disgusting to me.

Tomatoes too. I like tomato sauce but actual real tomatoes, ugh! Horrible slimy red things.
Dumb all over, a little ugly on the side.