Main Menu

Pricing artwork (Black Siddha / private commissions)

Started by The Amstor Computer, 09 December, 2010, 03:37:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Amstor Computer

Hope this is the right place for this - been bloody ages since I've been here :-)

I've got a cashflow problem right now (twin girls, with another due in June!) that means I'm having to contemplate selling off a couple of pieces of artwork from my small collection.

I have the original SB Davis art for the cover of Megazine 202, the first cover appearance for Black Siddha, and a set of four colour illustrations of famous movie monsters that I commissioned from Dom Reardon.

I know how much I paid initially for these pieces some five or so years ago, but I'm not sure how to set a reasonable value on them now.

Can anyone offer some advice - and if this is in the wrong forum, please let me know and I'll repost!

Buddy

First of all its always heartbreaking to sell original artwork (I've had to do it in moments of financial strife), and selling commissions is doubly distressing as they were drawn by the artist just for you and are unique.

Difficult to put a value on artwork... generally it's worth as much as someone is prepared to pay for it, regardless of what you actually paid for it yourself.

Stick them on ebay with a reserve price, you'll at least ensure you don't make a massive loss on them and you could very well make a bit on them.

I'm sure someone like Pete could offer more advice on this but on ebay they will find their own value.

matty_ae

I'd agree with th aove and add that you should look at the completed listing in eBay for similar items.

Some people are unaware that you can do this (you do need to be logged in)

Mat

Wake

I'd estimate that your Black Siddha cover is worth around £150. I'd offer around £100 myself, but there's not much Simon Davis artwork on the market at the moment so you might be able to get a bit more from someone who doesn't already have a page or two.

When I was selling Simon's artwork the Black Siddha page I bought for myself was:

Fatboydale

try Large 48 aka Guy ,he buys most of Simon's artwork .... at a rough guess it should be around £200

Large48

[size=40]Train Hard - Run Fast - Hit to Kill[/size]

maryanddavid

The Amstor Computer

Thanks for the replies, everyone. Will have a chat with Guy and see what we can come up with.

Hi, David - long time no see! Hoping to hang around a bit more now my girls are a bit older and I have some more time, although with another due next June I may have to take a break again fairly soon :-)

I see Hibernia is still ticking along - Emerald Isle looks neat!

Emperor

And any chance of seeing piccies of the art? I'd imagine it might get a few people more interested - the Dom Reardon one sounds intriguing.
if I went 'round saying I was an Emperor just because some moistened bint had lobbed a scimitar at me, they'd put me away!

Fractal Friction | Tumblr | Google+

The Amstor Computer

Colin YNWA

The Amstor Computer

The Black Siddha piece is now sold and off to a new home, so thank-you to everyone who helped. Sorry to see it go, but it had to be done.

I'm still considering selling the Reardon commissions - any more tips on setting prices?