Main Menu

THE ANTI SCI-FI BRIGADE

Started by zombemybabynow, 26 May, 2009, 03:54:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

zombemybabynow

After watching Willow recently with the wife, she remarked, "that's the worst film I've ever seen!"

I decided to keep quiet, although feeling my temperature rise - I didn't want it to turn into a situation ala Spaced "Babylon 5's a big pile of shite!"

Have you had to defend the sci-fi genre with intensity?

And afterwards felt that you hadn't sounded like a twat?
Good manners & bad breath get you nowhere

Dark Jimbo

Quote from: "zombemybabynow"After watching Willow recently with the wife, she remarked, "that's the worst film I've ever seen!"

DIVORCE!
@jamesfeistdraws

Bouwel

No, no. You must fight her in the middle of a sand-pit with a giant cotton wool bud while 'Da! Da! DADADA!' music plays.

-Bouwel-
(P.S. Extra points for ripping your shirt and dabbing a little blood on the corner of your mouth)
-A person's mind can be changed by reading information on the internet. The nature of this change will be from having no opinion to having a wrong opinion-

Peter Wolf

I have had to defend lots of things with intensity.If someone doesnt like the strips and artists that i like in the prog for example i dont really give a toss anymore because its all subjective so i very rarely bother being defensive.

Their minds are usually made up just like mine or yours is so whats the point ?

You just realise its all a waste of time in the end.
Worthing Bazaar - A fete worse than death

the shutdown man

I used to defend Trek against many of my mates who hate it, but I eventually quit when I realised they were just saying that to irritate me. And it worked.... (Happy ending, most of them loved the film. Take THAT, other peoples opinions!)
You're at the precipice Tony, of an enormous crossroads.

SmallBlueThing

I'm afraid I agree with the OP's wife. Willow is utter bollocks on every level. Sorry!

I try not to "defend" sf, largely because so much of it is of complete disinterest to me. But get me riled up by slagging even the lowliest of horror films for reasons I may decide to be showing a certain patronising attitude to the genre, and feel my wrath! One of the only instances in my life I have been involved in a bar-fight, it all kicked off over an argument about Peter Cushing's Blood Beast Terror! I don't even like the film- it's shit, but I was driven to insanity by the condescending tosserness of the hippy, art-student tit who was mouthing off.

Grr! I am Steev- Hippy-punching Horror Defender!

Steev

House of Usher

Yeah, I wouldn't ever want to be in a position where I had to defend Willow. Nor do I ever want to see it again. Sorry!
STRIKE !!!

JOE SOAP

I think your wife is smarter than you.

DavidXBrunt

Not scifi but the Nick and I were talking about whether Martin Shaw was a better Alan Dalgleish than Roy Marsden. I, with terminal intensity, plumped for Roy.

I argued that she hadn't seen enough of Marsdens version to appreciate it, she said Shaw was a better actor therefore won. It may have taken a down note when I said she just fancied Martin Shaw. She, naturally, repudiated this and said it was simply because Marsden had been in Who that I liked him. Ah, I said, but Shaw has been in Corrie so that evens it out.

I think my, sensible and adult, claim that Marsden was better because he doesn't smell of Spam like Martin Shaw that led to her walking out of the room but you never know...

Paul faplad Finch

Not ever gotten particularly wound up about sci-fi per se because I figure everyone has their own genre likes and dislikes and I'll just live and let live. Although I sometimes wish non fans would take the same view.

The thing that really winds me up is when you try to recommend something to  someone, be it sci-fi or otherwise, and they respond with "I don't watch American crap". Then they put Holby on before sticking in the tape of last Sundays Heartbeat. Give me strength. I wouldn't mind so much but they won't give themselves a chance to decide on a shows merits, they just refuse pont blank to try something on the basis that it's not British so it must be crap.

This point I'll argue till I'm blue in the face, not that it gets me anywhere. Still, their loss.
It doesn't mean that round my way
Pessimism is Realism - Optimism is Insanity
The Impossible Quest
Musings Of A Nobody
Stuff I've Read

Dark Jimbo

I can see things from both sides of the fence - I often get disparaged for my more geeky tendencies, but I have my geeky mates take the piss because I like Eastenders.
@jamesfeistdraws

Peter Wolf

I tend to keep my opinions to myself with this sort of thing .Its the same as music or religion.Its disrespectful to disparage someone elses tastes in music or TV even if they like EastEndless or Holby City.....I wouldnt get into a conversation with anyone about anything like that as its time i cant get back again.

BUT.......

Its like liking what is "cool" in music and namedropping "cool" bands.FFS grow up.I never even did that when i was 14 or 15.Anyone who does do that is fair game for having the piss taken out of them and i have done before now because its a contrivance so they ask for it.They are not being honest most of the time.

"My favorite ever album is Metal Box by PIL..."

Bet they dont listen to it very much though.I like it and i hardly ever listen to it.

It gets on my Tits when someone else tells you what you *should* read or listen to beyond a simple recommendation.Sorry but i dont want to read Charles Bukowski or Hunter S Thompson or Catcher In The Rye or Catch 22 because i am not F***ing interested.I can decide for myself my own choices of reading matter.I know what i like better than anyone else does.

Why is this so hard to understand ?

I had this for years when a friend kept insisting i read The Outsider by Albert Camus.The more they kept doing this the less i wanted to read the book as i was sick and tired of hearing about it.

Someone else did this with a Mark Rothko piece in the Tate Modern.What an earbashing i got for not liking it or not being able  to understand it.I didnt like it because i didnt "understand it" !! which developed into an argument of course.

"How can you not like Mark Rothko or Brian Bolland ???"

They are like control freaks because they are telling you what you should like and imposing their views onto others.
Worthing Bazaar - A fete worse than death

Grant Goggans

I've never seen Willow... but Martin Shaw is not Dalgliesh.  I don't know who he's playing, but he's just not Dalgliesh.

Colin YNWA

Not Sci-fi itself BUT last night my wife (who is heavily pregnant and had had a very busy day off) said she sometimes thought I loved my comics more than her. I struggled for an answer and decided to keep quiet was my only option!

DavidXBrunt

Quote from: "Grant Goggans"Martin Shaw is not Dalgliesh.  I don't know who he's playing, but he's just not Dalgliesh.

Thank you. He also smells of spam.