Main Menu

The Motherless Oven

Started by AlexF, 20 June, 2017, 10:47:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AlexF

Just finished reading this utterly bonkers comic by Rob Davis. Anyone else had a go?

It's the weirdest metaphor for teenage life in 1970s/80s Britain I could hope to imagine, and wouldn't be out of place in 2000AD.

All the children have a deathday - the date they're going to die. Their parents are mechanical contraptions. All devices, from tin openers to teapots are known as gods. The weatherclock is the most important, as it warns you when it's about to start raining knives. The streets are ruled by marauding gangs of teen rock bands. There are a handful of scary OAP humans who seem to be in charge of everything.

I can't form coherent thoughts about it, but I loved it. There seems to be a sequel, too, so i'll have to hunt for that.

JohnW

Necropost!
I was just reading the interview with Rob Davis in Meg457 and wondered if anyone had ever had anything to say about his work here.
I bought The Motherless Oven without knowing anything about it and loved it – loved it more than any comic in I don't know how long.
The first sequel, The Can Opener's Daughter, I loved just as much.
There was nothing wrong with the final book of the trilogy, The Book Of Forks, but I wasn't quite so enthralled. I suspect that was because there was an attempt to make sense of all the nonsense that had come before, and I preferred the dream-logic of Davis's world to remain unexplained.
Maybe I'll change my mind when I reread it (and I certainly intend to reread it).

'The Weather Clock said, "Knife o'clock," so I chained up Dad in the shed.'
Why can't everybody just, y'know, be friends and everything? ... and uh ... And love each other!

Tomwe

Yes I have all three and love them all. I also have his Complete Don Quixote HC which is stunning, if a bit dense. But if you like your classics then its a win!

JohnW

Quote from: Tomwe on 22 June, 2023, 10:43:46 AMI also have his Complete Don Quixote HC which is stunning,

Yep.
I bought it on the strength of The Motherless Oven and because I knew I'd never read Don Quixote otherwise.
Was not disappointed.
And now I know where the word 'lothario' comes from.
Why can't everybody just, y'know, be friends and everything? ... and uh ... And love each other!

Proudhuff

I've got his Don Quixote too, and a thing of beauty it is too, got it signed and sketched at The Lakes one year.
Will add The Motherless Oven to my list! :thumbsup:
DDT did a job on me

stacey

I loved Motherless Oven so much. It was just glorious, thought provoking, beautiful comics. Made me cry like a girl actually.