Main Menu

The Walking Dead Comic thread

Started by Goaty, 14 July, 2012, 06:13:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Proudhuff

Quote from: SmallBlueThing on 16 July, 2012, 01:20:50 PM

Niggle: despite a few years now of defending the series against accusations that it needs more zombies, id say that it now needs more zombies. Or to be precise, it needs a long running storyline in which zombies feature as more than a random threat in two panels. Keep the human drama central, but stick them somewhere the zoms can get at them. I know 'if this were real' you'd do your best to get far away from them- and that's when the interpersonal stuff would occur... but the comic needs to suspend a bit of disbelief and shovel in some undead about now.

SBT

I knew you were gonna say that! well not really, but that's what I've been banging on about, but you put it so well  :D

I thought it was all a bit of a repeat of previous 'threats'  also too much chat, shirley that Alpha male stuff could have been imparted through the story/art without him spelling it out? as said above just when Glenn and his partner were getting interesting, still I'll keep buying... for now.
DDT did a job on me

Judge Olde

I was properly gutted to see who was killed off, it was so brutal. I am not sure how much more they can carry this on though, someone higher up the thread likened it to the comic book equivalent of Eastenders. Now that could be an interesting cross over.

Proudhuff

yeah! 101 in the shops today.  fallout from [spoiler]Glen's[/spoiler] death starting to affect everyone and a shock double page spread!
DDT did a job on me

Goaty

I so like issue 101, with last few pages that got me grins.

Goaty

Wow.... It's getting better on issue 104!

cuckooclocks

I hope those of you who were gonna jack it in stayed around. You-know-who and you-know-who now you-know-where. Heart pounding!
What is you-know-who actualy upto?  Mini-you-know-who probably gonna want to stay...  Its not been this exciting in a loooooooooooong time.

SmallBlueThing

For about six months now, WD hasnt been my most-anticipated read. Even the blockbuster #100 seemed entirely predictable, and only the identity of the victim a result of a dice-throw. With #104, i felt even more like kirkman has hit a block. Would the character involved really do that? Maybe after he did that bad thing he did all those months ago, but now? After everything he's seen and done? I had the now usual sinking feeing at the reveal of him in the back of the truck, but did it strike me as good organics storytelling- like 99% of this series to date, or like a desperate piece of manipulation? I'll let you know next month. But at this rate, i may go back to trade-waiting soon, after buying the floppies since #84.

SBT

cuckooclocks

Why wouldnt the Character Involved do that? Cant realy go into the specifics but all the things hes [spoiler]had to become, been told to be, taught to be, only to see his hero reduced to nothing, its either revenge or rage,[/spoiler]] both very very believable reactions. I totaly agree the story seemed to drag on so the events of #100 didnt happen to soon, but the dice roll death just rienforces the chaos that is life AND that the humans are always gonna be worse than the monsters.
6 months ago it was gettin way too talkie for a comic book with zombies in it, but now, now theyve got the mile stone out of the way, i think its realy gonna set a good pace (as long as it doesnt become Mad Max with Zombies). But I do agree, I think trades is the way to go. But amazingly paced trades at that. No bad thing.

Proudhuff

I felt a shark jumping moment when i saw him in the back of the truck, it was as if ' hmmm how can I wrangle some more emotion out of this? i know!!'

Given what happened in issue 100 the threat to 'you know who' is real, but i feel somehow manipulated, I really hope there isn't a 'Happy Days' lesson at the end of this episode, trade waiting appeals now too 
DDT did a job on me

SmallBlueThing

Im really glad not everyone agrees with those of us who thought this turn of events a bit rubbish- it being an OPINION that WD is misfiring i can live with; it being a opinion that eveyone shares would make me sad. Like i say, i'll see what the next couple of issues bring.

On the subject of trade-waiting, the reason i went to floppies was because  literally found the gap between volumes painful. One of the nice things i got in the bargain was a regular letters page.
Or so i thought.
It continually pains me that so many comics, 2000AD included, dont seem to value their letters pages as they used to. DC dont have them at all, and i havent bought a marvel comic in so long, i really dont know about them, but i doubt it.

It's theoretically nice, therefore, to see Walking Dead publish readers letters each issue, without fail. If it werent for the letters themselves, that is. Has anyone ever read a more moronic set of letters pages in their life, outside of Heat or Kerrang? And since the tv show, (cont)

SmallBlueThing

(cont) gotten even worse. It's as if walking dead is read exclusively by illiterate knobends who take every plot development as an insult to their mother. And it's especially those who came to the comic via the tv show- they're the worst. Part of my possible return to trade-waiting on WD is to escape what is, without a doubt, the most horrible letters page ive ever read in comics- and that includes that of the judge dredd megazine back in the nineties.

SBT

Tiplodocus

Being a Trade Waiter myself, I've only just caught up on this thread. (Something To Fear) takes me up to issue 102 I think.

I actually thought that was all grand stuff; the totally unexpected [spoiler]Abraham [/spoiler] death and the slightly expected  death of [spoiler]Glenn [/spoiler] (I was practically yelling at the book: [spoiler]"For God's sake stop talking about babies and the future!")[/spoiler]

The drawn out and graphic nature of the killing (and the teasing beforehand) did bother me slightly but it really hit me as even worse than Woodbury and that gang would really have trouble standing against such reckless hate.  The response in issues 101 and 102 was also believable expecially the little "Yay!" and chuckle I gave at the end of the book. 

But I am missing the likeable characters - I think my cheering was more for the mechanics of the plot more than anything else - after all, Rick is now pretty much a sociopath*. You get a brief glimpse of humanity every now and then (when he first considered the possibilities that working with "The Hill" would grant them) but that aside, he seems to have absolutely no sense of right and wrong anymore.  Or if he has, it's not one I can relate to. 

* Or is it psychotic? I get the two mixed up.
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

sheldipez

I'm an old skooler WD fan; it's the only comic I've followed from [near] the beginning (I was going through a "buy everything to do with zombies" phase and picked up WD #7 in Forbidden Planet and been hooked since) so it has special place in my heart. I soon got sick of paying so much per comic so soon jumped over to the TPB's.

Anyway I started a whole read-through of the TPB from the beginning and just finished Voume 13. I've never had any complaints of the series in all honesty; I wouldn't say I've loved every minute of it (too many heartbreaking moments!) but I've loved every minute of the ride.

The letters section was great in the beginning. You got some real gems from it e.g. Kirkman talked about never wanting to go colour, wanting to at least hit #100 and he said he would never explain what caused the outbreak. It's one thing that I really missed going to the TPB's, sad to hear it's gone downhill. Does Kirkman reply to the letters himself? I'm surprised he has the time these days.

vzzbux

Well I've just devoured book's three and four. Five is just sitting there in its celephane wrapping staring at me just waiting to be read but I will resist.
I can now start watching series three on my TIVO as the basic storylines have moved on in the litary form. It seems although characters and storylines alter the basic structure is still there with both.

V
Drokking since 1972

Peace is a lie, there's only passion.
Through passion, I gain strength.
Through strength I gain power.
Through power, I gain victory.
Through victory, my chains are broken.

cuckooclocks

Hes not gonna do to that eye socket what we're all thinking hes gonna do with it, is he? ?