Main Menu

PLEASANTLY SURPRISED BY THE NEW STAR TREK: DISCOVERY SERIES

Started by Jim_Campbell, 10 October, 2017, 06:53:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TordelBack

I think a bona-fide Trekkie like the Shark should be able to express ongoing disappointment. It's not like ST series don't change as they go along.

blackmocco

Quote from: TordelBack on 17 October, 2017, 06:05:09 PM
I think a bona-fide Trekkie like the Shark should be able to express ongoing disappointment. It's not like ST series don't change as they go along.

Only if Shatner himself gets to enact Sharky's last post aloud...
"...and it was here in this blighted place, he learned to live again."

www.BLACKMOCCO.com
www.BLACKMOCCO.blogspot.com

The Legendary Shark

No, Blackmocco, I don't think I'll be posting on this thread any more as I will, for the first time ever, be giving up on a Trek series. This might not mean anything to you, but it is really painful for me. But, you know, you keep on posting your opinion every week because it's obviously more valid than mine.
[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

blackmocco

Quote from: The Legendary Shark on 17 October, 2017, 06:12:00 PM
No, Blackmocco, I don't think I'll be posting on this thread any more as I will, for the first time ever, be giving up on a Trek series. This might not mean anything to you, but it is really painful for me. But, you know, you keep on posting your opinion every week because it's obviously more valid than mine.

Oh give over. No-one minds criticism of the show being posted in here, Sharky. I'm all for discussing it with you. Just thought your last post was a bit OTT, is all.
"...and it was here in this blighted place, he learned to live again."

www.BLACKMOCCO.com
www.BLACKMOCCO.blogspot.com

The Legendary Shark

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

von Boom

Quote from: The Legendary Shark on 17 October, 2017, 06:12:00 PM

I feel your pain Sharky, I've been watching Star Trek my entire life. After that last episode I'm very concerned about the direction the show is taking. But Star Trek is about hope and I'm hopeful they can turn it around before the end.

You aren't alone in giving up on Trek, but do keep your ears open, it might change before the end.

Goaty

Great episode, enjoy it as Klingon Prison ship was nice, and brutal fights, Harry Mudd was perfect added, and [spoiler]not trust that new guy, Taylor?![/spoiler]

No-one here mention about that [spoiler]final image with mirror[/spoiler] that freaked me out!

I would really love to see Discovery moving around, not Warp or Spore jump, everything went BSG jumps!

Smith

I have to say it;this was the first episode where the bad outweighted the good.

Eamonn Clarke

Well I think it's drokking fraking smeging frelling gorram awesome!

Ahem.  :-[.
I think it's all rather, jolly good. What, what?

JOE SOAP

Shark is our Tardigrade – set him loose among the shroom-ways of space.

auxlen

TordelBack

The Legendary Shark

Sort of disappointed that it's not just me, Von Boom (sometimes, it's good to be wrong)... Hopefully it will get better but, if it doesn't, at the very least there seem to be enough people enjoying it to keep the franchise alive. Maybe the next series will be better!

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

Smith

IDK,Im giving it a few more episode to see where it will go,but the whole thing feels soulless,for the lack of a better word.

Tjm86

I've been enjoying it so far, such as it is.  For me, Star Trek has always been something enjoyable to watch but it has always had flaws.  As with all series, it is still trying to find its inner core, so I'm willing to give it time.

But ....

... and I want to be incredibly careful here because I appreciate that I'm about to tread on sensitive territory.  The scene with the Doctor Kulber and Stamets had me cringing.  I couldn't quite put my finger on what it was about it that bothered me.  I get that they are in a relationship but something about that moment set me off. 

Then it clicked, it just seemed so 'twee' for want of a better word.  Now I'm quite happy to be set straight on this but did the relationship have to be portrayed in that manner?  It almost came across to me as a caricature.  The doctor's concern and irritation at Stamet's decision could just as easily have been portrayed as normal officerly concern and their relationship still made clear without representing him the way it seemed to to me.  No?