Main Menu

...NEW DR WHO TONIGHT, 03/05/08, 6.20pm, The Poison Sky...

Started by ARRISARRIS, 03 May, 2008, 08:48:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

opaque

I missed Billie, when was that bit?

The Valient is a UNIT ship, hence why it was used for the first contact with the 'Toclafane'.

I would have assumed that the Sontarans could have converted our oceans into massive nurseries, after all our planet is mostly water, add some chemicals and there you have an endless supply of green sludge.

What I was wondering is what effect the torching of gas all over the world had on the ozone layer? ;) Either the Doctor has destroyed it or recreated it!

Gavin_Leahy_Block

i really enjoyed it.
and the "Are you my Mummy?" thing with the gas masks made it even better

for once we get a two parter where the second part is  as good as the first

Mardroid

The gadget that torched the atmosphere was a bit much and didn't make all that much sense since the poison gas was at ground level, and the burning didn't appear to go that far down (which is just as well for humanity). Point is, I'm just not that clear as to why that would have cleared the gas. Unless they're saying the torching was only one effect, the cleansing going down... Ok, that makes sense since it was part of that kid's terraforming project right? Oxygenate alien worlds atmosphere? (So why the burning?)

Also not too clear as to why the Sontarans prevented the nuclear strike since their ship is nuclear proof. I think the explanation was mentioned briefly but it was one of those rushed-speech exposition moments. Was it fear the nuclear pulse would feed back into Earth's atmosphere having the same effect as the Eco rocket?

Don't get me wrong. I loved this episode! Even the newfangled things apparently pulled out of nowhere like the hover ship and the eco rocket thing didn't feel wrong since they were established elswhere, the hover-thing from the Master episode and the eco thing... well we know the kid was preparing to take his geniuses to other worlds. I also like that the other kids reacted realistically instead of going all "Your the genius we follow your will!" that sometimes happens in similar moments in sci-fi shows.

Great action... lots of shooting... and the kid saving the day. (Some people don't like that change in morality thing, but I think it makes sense with this character in this instance and felt right.)

Also an interesting twist that the villain is an English kid putting on an American accent rather than an American putting on an English accent, which is the case in American programmes. (Check out the change in the kid's accent in Dr. Who confidential.) I wonder if that was intentional.

House of Usher

The kid (Ryan Sampson) sounded like a Scot to me, rather than English.
STRIKE !!!

mogzilla

bernard is safe thank goodness. loved the unit troops getting theyre own back on the sontarans at the end and saw that kid redemption thing coming a mile off (well, when the doc went up at least)
again with a human pointing a gun at another human breaching the rtd rules...
i'm assuming the doctor's daughter is human or at least her mum was/is as they didnt show up on the radar in the great time war?
i'm probably way off mark and will wait til next week to find out!

WoD

cloned from the hand I would guess.

opaque

If the nukes had been launched yes they would have apparently ignited the gas cloud.

g_leahy is right, a 2nd part that is a proper episode in itself.

I liked the selfless act of Rattigan, goes with UNIT not giving up to show that the human race doesn't stop even when the end is near and it looks helpless.

worldshown

I missed Billie, when was that bit?

When the Doctor was speaking to the Sontarans and trying to drop heavy hints about the phone to Donna, Rose briefly appeared on the TARDIS screen.

pauljholden

Given the slightly unsubtle cuts to the hand that happened at the end of this episode I'm assuming it's a clone from the hand too.

- pj

House of Usher

Could someone remind me about 'the hand', please?
STRIKE !!!

WoD

From the Christmas special when he battled 'bone-faced' alien with a sword, and lost his havd, but as he was in the first X hours of regeneration he could grow another one.

W. R. Logan

Another earth invasion and another rubbish episode. I desperately want to like this new series but just find that week after week it just doesnt do it.

http://images3.wikia.nocookie.net/tardis/images/thumb/c/c1/Probic_Vent.jpg/250px-Probic_Vent.jpg">

The Amstor Computer

I desperately want to like this new series but just find that week after week it just doesnt do it.

Pretty much the same situation here.

I've got a four year old girl who loves Doctor Who and who will happily sit through each new episode, as well as watching the old series on DVD. I love spending time with her, but if it wasn't for that there's no chance I'd be watching the new series.

I'm fed up with the hero worship of the Doctor by the companions and supporting characters (and, apparently, the writers and producers).

I'm fed up of overly grand setups resolved in two minutes (a Sontaran battlefleet destroyed and gas clouds encircling the globe set alight by a spark from an oversized lighter?)

I'm fed up of SHOUTING and splurges of emotion as substitutes for plotting that hangs together under scrutiny.

I'm fed up of music that intrudes and overwhelms instead of complementing or gracefully setting the mood.

Most of all, I'm fed up of being fed up with a show that I had such high hopes for at the end of series one and that my little girl loves.

Mardroid

I'm not a hater of new Who, but I do agree with this:

I'm fed up with the hero worship of the Doctor by the companions and supporting characters (and, apparently, the writers and producers).

However, it appears that the new companion, Donna, isn't as inclined to this. She still absolutely admires him and has faith in him (but I think that was a trait of companions in much of Old Who too surely? I might be wrong though as I haven't seen much of Old Who.)

And that granddad "Go with your Doctor", whilst sweet to start with is starting to wear a bit. However, I think that the show may be taking a turn for the best though in the new character's different attitude to the Doctor.

The Adventurer

I liked this episode, this arc really.

Well, except for the burning sky bit. But blah blah bad science in Doctor Who Blah Blah. What'cha gonna do?

And I agree, Donna has a much more realistic opinion of the Doctor that's very fresh and keeps me liking her character.

I thought this particular "alien invasion of Earth" story was fairly well done.

I'm am however very leery of next weeks "Doctor's Daughter" story.

THIS SPACE INTENTIONALLY LEFT BLANK