Main Menu

Prog 2084 - Hail to the Chief!

Started by Colin YNWA, 02 June, 2018, 09:17:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Colin YNWA

Well its really a case of as you were. So little difference between this week and last... well there is a little if you look close.

Dredd is still fantastic, juggling two intriguing storylines the one set in the past a particular winner and I'm really tempted by the prose book set in this era now.

Skip Tracer is still fun and fine but its not doing anything new... well that surprising leftfield final panel aside and I'm still not engaged with its led, which is becoming an increasing problem.

Survival Geeks - if still twee fluff that every so often does something to delight and amuse...but no enough to make it worth it. Its chompin' at those low hangin' fruit and since I'm reading early 90s 2000ad in my re-read at the moment I've got quite enough of that in my life at the moment.

Deadworld changes scene, but doesn't change from being emmense fun and buiding a really compelling story. Oh how my view of this series has grown!

Durham Red just great stuff, this is so 2000ad it aches, it a good way. What this is doing so well is each episode really does feel like its own little story yet is building the whole. Looks great, reads great.

So we have three winners, an okay has potential but beginning to drag and an irritation that can even charm at times - so its almost the perfect 2000ad mix!

Magnetica

You beat me to it....had started my post but had to put the kids to bed before finishing it :D

I'm enjoying this run of strips but this Prog is maybe not as good as the last two weeks.

Dredd- for an episode where Dredd's [spoiler]main lead gets taken out by a sniper[/spoiler] and Deacon has [spoiler]a shoot out with Sager's men [/spoiler] not a lot seems to happen to actually advance the plot.

I'm not sure what Skip Tracer is meant to be. Detective story? War commentary? And that last panel...hmmm

Survival Geeksis entertaining enough. And the art is great -better than I remember from previous series. Indeed I am kinda thinking Neil Google fits the kind of story Ian Gibson used to do back in the day.

Deadworld - as with previous series I am starting to lose the plot with this now it is a few episodes in.

Durham Red is the stand out strip. Not sure if it is me but the art this week and last seems subtly different to the first episode. The first episode had some panels that appeared to have more of a painted effect.

There is also a letters page. Couldn't disagree more with one the plea to end Strontium Dog and Sinister Dexter.

Frank

Quote from: Magnetica on 02 June, 2018, 09:27:18 PM
Neil Google

Winner of Tharg's Star Search competition. The runners-up were Bing Willsher and AOL Ewing.

Woolly

Covers awesome, but when did Judge Death start wearing boots?

TordelBack

Quote from: Woolly on 02 June, 2018, 11:52:02 PM

When Morris weaponised verrucas.

TordelBack

Jovus H Grud: "Mortis".

GET THIS SubFORUM AN EDIT BUTTON.

A.Cow

Dredd- for an episode where Dredd's [spoiler]main lead gets taken out by a sniper[/spoiler] and Deacon has [spoiler]a shoot out with Sager's men [/spoiler] not a lot seems to happen to actually advance the plot.

Amen to that, bro'.

Quote from: Colin YNWA on 02 June, 2018, 09:17:49 PM
Survival Geeks - if still twee fluff [...]

Didn't Phineas & Ferb do all this years ago, and much better?  Brings back memories of Peter Gabriel's Barry Williams Show, which parodied Jerry Springer several years too late.

Regardless, what irks me most about Survival Geeks is that the authors presume that we know or care about every character's plot arc, despite them having close-to-zero personality.

Deadworld - as with previous series I am starting to lose the plot with this now it is a few episodes in.

What he said.

Durham Red is the stand out strip. Not sure if it is me but the art this week and last seems subtly different to the first episode. The first episode had some panels that appeared to have more of a painted effect.

All I know is that the story ain't gripping me but the art is sublime.

Blue Cactus

It's early days for Death here - for all we know he's still wearing Y-fronts and a vest under there. Presumably the dead fluids will toughen up his feet over time and give him those delightful toenails!

Frank

Y'all noticed Fear has antlers and Mortis isn't a skeleton, right?

TordelBack

Geoff

Great cover - always a pleasure to have Dowling in the prog.

Dredd's still good and Durham Red's great.

As someone says above, having started to enjoy Deadworld at last, I'm losing the plot (of the story) now too...

sheridan

There is also a letters page. Couldn't disagree more with one the plea to end Strontium Dog and Sinister Dexter.

Typical - I actually think Sinister Dexter and Strontium Dog are the best they've been for years!

But then I also thought the first book of Brutannia Chronicles (that everybody on here seemed to think was a return to form) was pretty weak, but subsequent books have gotten better, just as others have thought they didn't follow up the promise of the first book.

Typefaces notwithstanding.

sheridan

Quote from: Blue Cactus on 03 June, 2018, 10:40:36 AM

It's early days for Death here - for all we know he's still wearing Y-fronts and a vest under there. Presumably the dead fluids will toughen up his feet over time and give him those delightful toenails!

Er yes - didn't want to say but a more appropriate question is when he stopped wearing boots.

Woolly

Quote from: sheridan on 04 June, 2018, 12:29:06 AM
Quote from: Blue Cactus on 03 June, 2018, 10:40:36 AM

Er yes - didn't want to say but a more appropriate question is when he stopped wearing boots.

Frankly, if this doesn't get addressed in the comic i'm going to be disappointed.
Maybe Mortis decays them for a laugh?