Main Menu

2000AD Lego builds

Started by ming, 10 February, 2014, 02:44:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Colin YNWA

I mean its wrong to have favourites when you love them ALL so much. But by God that Wulf is just fantastic. I mean absolutely fantastic.

Jez these are just getting better and better.

Woolly

Quote from: ming on 21 October, 2017, 06:48:12 PM
A couple of new kids on the block...

You've even nailed der Happy Stick!  :o
Just incredible!

Seriously, Tharg, get in touch with Lego and Ming and license this!

ming

Thanks, as always, for the kind words - these are a lot of fun to do!  Having Johnny Alpha in the house alongside Dredd means I can do this:

:lol:

Woolly

"Who the Hell's gonna dismantle us?!"

norton canes

That shoulder eagle is just beyond brilliant.

IndigoPrime

Those are superb. If I get the time, I'm going to have to have a crack at building these in stud.io.

ming

Quote from: Woolly on 21 October, 2017, 08:04:02 PM
"Who the Hell's gonna dismantle us?!"

Ha! Quite!  I'll see how long these sit around for; they're very popular with the boys but I doubt they'll all remain intact by the end of the year... Of all the stuff I / we've built over the past three years or so, only Dr. Feeleygood and the original Ro-Jaws remain (plus the odd fatty).

Quote from: IndigoPrime on 23 October, 2017, 01:48:14 PM
Those are superb. If I get the time, I'm going to have to have a crack at building these in stud.io.

That would be great; let me know (here or p.m.) if I can help - I can break down figures where necessary, but here are a few more shots in the meantime...  The curvy front side pieces on the underside of Alpha's helmet are held on with white-tack (:-[) since I couldn't find a workaround and it looked better that way (to me, at least).  Discussions with Feliks led to us both bemoaning the fact that Lego don't do tiles with studs on both sides; the missus suggested white-tack so we went with that.

ming

Welcome... to the digital age...

Will mess around with Stud.io a bit more - seems pretty good so far but I still think my brain is wired better for what I find available in the various boxes we have.  As the boys have used pretty much all the lime green pieces we have for Tharg(s) I'll see if I can make one in Stud.io, just as an exercise to see if I can get the hang of it.  I may be too used to just throwing actual bricks together and seeing what works though.

I do like the challenge of making what I can from what's lying around at home but being able to go wild with a digital build is tempting.  Maybe I'll have a go at a Dan Tanna Playset or Mad George, Colossus of Mars at some point...

IndigoPrime

Yeah, I'd say nothing beats real bricks, but digital has its uses. I've used stud.io to try and reverse engineer MOCs I like the look of, and to 'extend' one of the modulars.

ming

Dang.

Post-recovery

Found some more beige-pink bits so decided to rework Mean Machine - as he was the first character I tried out it was nice to try and improve on the initial, freshly-boiled look.

ming

I made a small tweak for Alpha as well (better badge and an added holster).  I've just about finished another character using Stud.io so I'll see if we have the necessary bits to hand next week; if not I might just have to embark on a small shopping spree...

Pyroxian

Quote from: ming on 24 October, 2017, 07:00:59 AM
The curvy front side pieces on the underside of Alpha's helmet are held on with white-tack (:-[) since I couldn't find a workaround and it looked better that way (to me, at least).  Discussions with Feliks led to us both bemoaning the fact that Lego don't do tiles with studs on both sides; the missus suggested white-tack so we went with that.

Could you stick a technic half-pin (https://www.bricklink.com/v2/catalog/catalogitem.page?P=4274#T=C), inside the 1x2 slope brick, and attach that way?

ming

Quote from: Pyroxian on 28 October, 2017, 01:22:45 PM
The curvy front side pieces on the underside of Alpha's helmet are held on with white-tack (:-[) since I couldn't find a workaround and it looked better that way (to me, at least).  Discussions with Feliks led to us both bemoaning the fact that Lego don't do tiles with studs on both sides; the missus suggested white-tack so we went with that.

Could you stick a technic half-pin (https://www.bricklink.com/v2/catalog/catalogitem.page?P=4274#T=C), inside the 1x2 slope brick, and attach that way?

I did try that but no dice, unfortunately.  However, through my exploration of Stud.io it seems that Lego do a <slope, curved, 2x1 inverted> and it comes in yellow, so I might try and track a pair down.  (This is exactly what I achieved with the regular (non-inverted) slope plus a dot of white-tack.)

Meanwhile, I've finished a build in Stud.io and now I need to figure out how to order a parts list (via Bricklink).  Any pointers are very welcome as I just keep getting an error message when I try to add to a wants list...  Oh, and I could show what I did in Stud.io or just wait until I get the bits to make the physical version.  Fairly happy with how it turned out considering this was my first attempt at using it.

Colin YNWA

Quote from: ming on 28 October, 2017, 01:52:48 PM
Quote from: Pyroxian on 28 October, 2017, 01:22:45 PM

I did try that but no dice, unfortunately.  However, through my exploration of Stud.io it seems that Lego do a <slope, curved, 2x1 inverted> and it comes in yellow, so I might try and track a pair down.  (This is exactly what I achieved with the regular (non-inverted) slope plus a dot of white-tack.)

This high level Lego talk is stangely alluring!

IndigoPrime

Quote from: ming on 28 October, 2017, 01:52:48 PMMeanwhile, I've finished a build in Stud.io and now I need to figure out how to order a parts list (via Bricklink).  Any pointers are very welcome as I just keep getting an error message when I try to add to a wants list.
I assume you've sorted a Bricklink account and are signed in, both in stud.io and on Bricklink in your browser? If so, [name] > Add to Wanted List should open an Upload Items page in the browser. At that point, you can add to an existing list, or create a new one. Click Verify Items and it should just work.

(Bricklink also has an 'Easy Buy' system for purchases now, too, so you can in theory much more easily get the pieces you need. I'd recommend getting as much as you want in a single crack, though, because it's often the postage that adds up, rather than the pieces.)