Main Menu

Space Spinner 2000AD

Started by Steve Green, 19 April, 2017, 09:18:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SpaceSpinner2000

Quote from: Leigh S on 24 December, 2018, 11:30:51 PM
Opened my Christmas present early! Good stuff and I echo your sentiments regarding the loss of GFD. I believe  Pat Mills would tell you that GFD is the unsung hero of the rejuvenation of British comics in the 70s, having succesfully resuscitated Girls comics (Tammy in particular?) before Wagner and Mills had even arrived and it was his inspiration that somewhat guided Pat in how to do the same with Boys comics?

I think that's right, I've read an article by Mills hailing his writing talent which I really appreciated (https://www.millsverse.com/10-of-the-best-celebrating-some-of-2000ads-unsung-heroes/). It's a good antidote to how he's presented in the Thrill Power Overload book, which I really like, but IMO portrays GFD as little more than a bumbling outsider who needed more copy editing that he was worth. That's a bummer for me, because like I say on the show, he's written some of my favorite stuff!
2000 AD recap podcast, from the beginning!
Check out the show here! Or on iTunes, Google Play, or your preferred podcast app!

Funt Solo

We invented baseball (says a person who wasn't around in 1744), but we call it rounders, and it only gets played in elementary school.  All that tobacco-chewing isn't really good for their teeth, but hey.
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

sheridan

The catwoman from Meltdown Man is Liana!

Funnily enough I was playing Black & White yesterday - when my pet cat grows up they're going to be like tiger commander :-)

SpaceSpinner2000

Haha excellent! I was a huge fan of the first Black & White, and actually worked on the second one and it's expansion pack. I even made it into the credits of the expansion! I was more of a turtle man myself, I love an evil turtle.
Check out the show here! Or on iTunes, Google Play, or your preferred podcast app!

Lobo Baggins

The liberal Cadet Judge Steel is a reference to the then leader of the Liberal Party (or whatever it was called that week) David Steel.

Alzo vorth noting dat Johnny Alpha is speaking Norse during der flashbacks during 'Der Ragnorak Job', so just this vunce Vulf is not haffink der Gothik accent (Johnny might possibly have a comedy accent that we can't hear instead, though.  He does come from Wiltshire, after all).
The wages of sin are death, but the hours are good and the perks are fantastic.

WhizzBang

Reading onwards to keep up with the show I can see we are close to McGruder resigning. The bit where she holds her last council of five meeting is excellent and I hope it gets noticed by Conrad and Fox. Probably about 2 Mondays from now.

SpaceSpinner2000

Your reckoning is correct! Regime change coming to MC-1 soon!

Colin YNWA

Caught up with some post X-mas listening and while I was a numbnut and missed adding to the spinnies input I was so glad to see Cam Kennedy getting the art nod. I was actually going to save that vote for next year as I think his work in 1986 is even better but really heartening to see him get the credit from folks who aren't as much as a dumbass as me and actually get there votes in in time!

AlexF

Here's one for that 'ask me anything' segment:

Did you reply to Eamonn Clarke's Top 10 list challenge, and if so, what were your guys's top 10 Dredd and non-Dredd stories?

(Although I appreciate Conrad may not want to divulge his opinion of stories yet to come in Fox's reading timeline).

In a more personal vein:
What are both of your 'comics reading' origin stories?

SpaceSpinner2000

I think for a lot of the questions we're getting I'm going to have to answer as two different people: bright eyed optimistic 1986 Conrad, and jaded pessimistic 2019 Conrad.

Funt Solo

I imagine you as Maverick and Goose.  Are you actually Conrad "Ace" Gessner and Brant "Fox" Brando, an aviator and navigator team of the US Navy?

++ A-Z ++  coma ++

SpaceSpinner2000

Quote from: Funt Solo on 30 December, 2018, 03:34:38 AM
I imagine you as Maverick and Goose.  Are you actually Conrad "Ace" Gessner and Brant "Fox" Brando, an aviator and navigator team of the US Navy?

I like to think of us a Iceman and Slider myself. Also, you should get excited for episode 156!

Leigh S

I'd also like to know how you first stumbled over Tharg's mighty works.  As Americans and with at least Fox in his 30s, compared to the bulk of us 40 somethings (at best!) that makes you outliers in the general audience of middle aged Brits.  It's long held belief that the USA don't "get" 2000AD and that young(er) people don't either - any opinions on why that might be (if you agree with it!)? 

Possibly following on from that, if you were Tharg for the day/week/year, what would you do (You can do this as 1986 Tharg or today Tharg)?

SpaceSpinner2000

In our thrilling hundred and forty-second episode Fox and Conrad continue their journey through the Galaxy's Greatest Comic with Progs 451-454 of 2000AD, covering January of 1986. This week we'll fight the Warlord with Judge Dredd, continue through the Tomb of Terror with Sláine , adventure in the past with the Strontium Dogs, come back to life with Ace Trucking, and join the space army with Halo Jones!

Direct Download
iTunes
Google
Stitcher
Or on your favorite podcast app!

Please let me know what you think of the episode!

Also I love how our last two episodes show some real highs and lows for Ms. Jones!

The Monarch

i am curious as to how much fox knows of what is coming as the 90s moves ever closer like a horror movie serial killer. i am sure conrad knows of the horrors to come

this ones for conrad of the next few years you need to cover what are you looking forward to both personally and for foxes reaction

also i'll ask the obvious questions

what is the absolute worse thing you've encountered thus far

has your opinions on some earlier stuff you may have been cold to changed or the oposite is something you liked in hindsight not as good