Main Menu

Mega City block names

Started by barneytabasco, 09 February, 2020, 02:10:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gary James

Quote from: sheridan on 11 February, 2020, 09:31:20 PM
When Rowdy Yates Block was named it would have been a twenty to twenty-five year old pop cultural reference (I know it was five to ten years before I knew it had anything to do with Wagon Train, and that was probably as a result of a letter in the Nerve Centre).
Rawhide, actually. And not so far removed as you might imagine - the music had been re-popularized by The Blues Brothers (1980), and the show itself returned... at some point. Pretty sure Channel 4 had it, but without paper references in front of me that's going to have to wait.

It was always stated that Eastwood was an inspiration (in part) for Dredd, so the resumed popularity of the series must have given confidence that the naming of the block wasn't too obscure.

Which game books are you referring to?
I figured that I'd bite the bullet and get everything that's out there. There's a few references to things that are in the books, though nearly everything seems to have been last updated about a decade ago - really not the most helpful hint, yet worth chasing down all the same. It would be nice if citations were given (author, publisher, isbn, and year of release), rather than "a Dredd game book," but it won't take long to narrow the field down once I track down everything that's been published.

At some point I was going to have had to buy them anyway, and at least this way the information isn't going to be buried away out of reach.

sheridan

Quote from: Gary James on 11 February, 2020, 10:16:48 PM
When Rowdy Yates Block was named it would have been a twenty to twenty-five year old pop cultural reference (I know it was five to ten years before I knew it had anything to do with Wagon Train, and that was probably as a result of a letter in the Nerve Centre).
Rawhide, actually. And not so far removed as you might imagine - the music had been re-popularized by The Blues Brothers (1980), and the show itself returned... at some point. Pretty sure Channel 4 had it, but without paper references in front of me that's going to have to wait.

Shows how before my time both shows were!

sheridan

Quote from: sheridan on 10 February, 2020, 02:28:22 PM
I'm in the midst of a prog slog (well, still quite close to the beginning, to be honest) and the most recent story I read involved the first appearance (and first destruction) of Bob Oppenheimer.  As I'm going along I'm updating the following wiki:
Category:Mega-City One Blocks
At the current rate I should be up to date in the year 2026 or so.  Hope you're patient!
Wish I'd made a note of how many where in that category at the time - I'm sure it was around seventy or eighty.  Whatever, it's 175 as of today.

Richard

To be clear, the Dredd gamebook was an app for your phone, it was never released as an actual book. The app is no longer available.