Main Menu

Mega City Book Club - a new podcast about 2000AD books

Started by Eamonn Clarke, 23 May, 2016, 08:59:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JayzusB.Christ

That's today's listening sorted.  Good stuff, Eamonn, really looking forward to this.

By the way I am guessing your folks are/were Irish?  Not just because of your first name, but also how you pronounce 'any' (either as a standalone word or a prefix).  It's the same way we Micks pronounce it, and Morrissey too for that matter (i.e. 'Annie' rather than 'Ennie'). 

Sorry, I'm just really interested in language and dialects.
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

sheridan

Quote from: Eamonn Clarke on 30 October, 2016, 10:15:59 AMWhere did we go?
The Pub

And what a noisy pub it was!
QuoteA lot of background noise in the pub this time and my thrill sucker suppression software has left the vocals a little
squelchy (technical term ;) ) but turn the volume up and let us know what you think.

Well done on producing a podcast from such noisy conditions with two (verbal) ramblers :)

Eamonn Clarke

Quote from: JayzusB.Christ on 30 October, 2016, 10:40:44 AM
That's today's listening sorted.  Good stuff, Eamonn, really looking forward to this.

By the way I am guessing your folks are/were Irish?  Not just because of your first name, but also how you pronounce 'any' (either as a standalone word or a prefix).  It's the same way we Micks pronounce it, and Morrissey too for that matter (i.e. 'Annie' rather than 'Ennie'). 

Cheers!

Yes, my parents were from Cabra West in Dublin, they came over in 1958 and I was born in Birmingham. I'm fascinated that you spotted me from "any", my wife used to tease me about my pronounciation of that exact word when we first met. I had never realised that what I was saying was any ;) different to everyone else.

Thanks for supporting the podcast, do you fancy picking a book and coming on the show in 2017?

Spikes

Quote from: Eamonn Clarke on 30 October, 2016, 10:15:59 AM

http://megacitybookclub.blogspot.co.uk/2016/10/mega-city-book-club-17-ballad-of-halo.html

Quote from: Eamonn Clarke on 23 October, 2016, 09:28:37 AM

http://megacitybookclub.blogspot.co.uk/2016/10/mega-city-book-club-16-judge-child-quest.html

Whilst I recover from the night before ie; I'm doing absolutely nowt all day, it gives me the perfect opportunity to catch up on these excellent podcasts.

Pleased to see the Halo Jones review pop up. Happened to sit in on this, along with Supersurfer. Even though we was all huddled together in a secluded corner, the pub was that noisy, this is the first time I'm hearing what was said!

But a great review from the guests, and I need to dig out the Progs for a re-read. Also keeping one eye open for the Titan reprints books. Things of beauty.

And as I type this, I'm listening to the JCQ review podcast. A classic Dredd tale, that is so often overlooked. Which considering that ALL three artists was firing on all cylinders, and the story itself which is top notch, is kinda odd.
Not to mention all the classic characters that was introduced with this tale. But grand that somebody has picked this, so it'll be great to hear their take.

Frank

Quote from: Spikes on 30 October, 2016, 07:05:17 PM
(The Judge Child is a) classic Dredd tale, that is so often overlooked. Which considering that ALL three artists was firing on all cylinders, and the story itself which is top notch, is kinda odd.

Not to mention all the classic characters that were introduced with this tale

McMahon in particular pisses all over anything in Cursed Earth or The Day The Law Died; the stories and characters are funnier, more inventive, and more interesting.

The overall narrative might be seen as less satisfying. Unlike the Apocalypse War and the epics listed above, it ends with Dredd *not* doing what he set out to do.

It's like The Searchers if John Wayne had told Natalie Wood that pigtails and fake tan made her look too tarty, then flounced off home holding Jeffrey Hunter's hand.

JayzusB.Christ

Quote from: Eamonn Clarke on 30 October, 2016, 12:08:28 PM
Quote from: JayzusB.Christ on 30 October, 2016, 10:40:44 AM

Cheers!

Yes, my parents were from Cabra West in Dublin, they came over in 1958 and I was born in Birmingham. I'm fascinated that you spotted me from "any", my wife used to tease me about my pronounciation of that exact word when we first met. I had never realised that what I was saying was any ;) different to everyone else.

Thanks for supporting the podcast, do you fancy picking a book and coming on the show in 2017?

Hell yes!
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

Eamonn Clarke

The book club switches to its usual fortnightly release schedule as the forum's very own SpongeJosh joins me to talk about a fabby collection from the Henry Flint droid. Only minimal spoilers for seven great Dredd stories.

As ever your reviews and comments are very welcome.

http://megacitybookclub.blogspot.co.uk/2016/11/mega-city-book-club-18-henry-flint.html

Eamonn Clarke

The forum's very own Guy Robbins brings the absolutely marvellous volume 1 of the Daily Dredds to the book club.

Check it out at:
http://megacitybookclub.blogspot.co.uk/2016/11/mega-city-book-club-19-daily-dredds-vol.html

And let us know what you think.

Spikes

And listening to this now.

An essential book, full of gorgeous Ron Smith art, so interesting to hear other people's view on the book.

Still kick myself for not attending the FCBD signing in 2014(?) which Ron attended. Ah well...

Eamonn Clarke

Thanks, Spikes. Looking forward to you picking a book to review at some point in the future. Or a pint at the very least. Cheers.

Eamonn Clarke

Episode 20! And Gareth A Hopkins introduces me to the delights of Smith and Weston's Killing Time with Winwood and Cord.

Listen in on your podcatchers or on the blog page here:
http://megacitybookclub.blogspot.co.uk/2016/12/mega-city-book-club-20-killing-time.html

sheridan

Quote from: Spikes on 27 November, 2016, 11:55:40 AM
Still kick myself for not attending the FCBD signing in 2014(?) which Ron attended. Ah well...
It was Forbidden Planet 2013 (I know that for sure as I was in hospital for an extended stay at the time and only got the FCBD comic as Rachael got my copy from Mega-City Comics in Camden).

auxlen

Just catching up now...love podcasts for long car journeys....this is pretty good.

auxlen

Just listened to the collected dailies and your guest knew his stuff!

Eamonn Clarke

Episode 21 and it's a clips show already! Recorded at last month's Thought Bubble convention and featuring a host of Tharg's top droids plus several of his devoted Squaxx telling me about their first Progs. This is my contribution to this year's glorious 2000AD advent calendar created by P-WLS himself.

Listen in here.
http://megacitybookclub.blogspot.co.uk/2016/12/mega-city-book-club-21-first-progs.html