Main Menu

Mega City Book Club - a new podcast about 2000AD books

Started by Eamonn Clarke, 23 May, 2016, 08:59:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Steve Green

sheridan

Quote from: Eamonn Clarke on 14 May, 2017, 08:17:33 AM

Johnny Alpha month continues with Steve Green back in the book club to discuss the first volume of the Search Destroy Agency files, and to talk about the Strontium Dog fan film just in time for its internet release next week.

Listen in and let us know.

http://megacitybookclub.blogspot.co.uk/2017/05/mega-city-book-club-33-strontium-dog.html

Maybe Strontium Dog month will stir interest in a third SD novella and provoke publication of a three-story paperback, as discussed on the 2000AD novels thread.

positronic

Not to diminish the importance of the Dredd franchise to Rebellion, but I always felt they had a half-dozen good pillars in strips/characters who were in place from early on: besides Dredd, Strontium Dog, Rogue Trooper, Nemesis the Warlock, Ro-Busters/A.B.C. Warriors, and even a couple of strips that didn't get into the mix until late in the 1980s, like Anderson and Bad Company.

These were all high-concept ideas very easy to get a basic grasp of, and all of them beautifully designed characters, any one of which would make a great movie, television show, videogame, novel series, etc. As rich as Judge Dredd world is, it would be a real shame to ignore the potential to promote these characters to more exposure and greater recognition among the general public. I'm reminded of how many of the Marvel heroes like Iron Man or Daredevil (and even Captain America, for some decades there) saw very little in the way of exploitation or merchandising as franchises, and were considered second-stringers (even the Avengers!) beside Spider-Man, X-Men, and the Fantastic Four. Surely the potential of characters like Strontium Dog has barely been realized as yet.

Eamonn and Steve, loved this week's podcast and can't wait to see the fan film!

shaolin_monkey

Just caught up with the Strontium Dog audio tapes - very interesting! I had completely forgotten Pegg plays Alpha!

CrazyFoxMachine

Just listened to the Steve Green SD one - very good, goes into some real depth about the recording of the (amazing) SD fan film. Steve is refreshingly matter-of-fact about some of the sacrifices made but I suppose we wouldn't have such an incredibly solid end product if the folk making it weren't beating themselves up about every choice - can't wait to see it again on YouTube/Vimeo.

Fan art is considered an apt tribute as well... hhmmmm

Steve Green

Thanks, glad people enjoyed it!

I can't remember what I said exactly, but yeah with the fan films I tend to get a bit worn-out/depressed by the end of things.

Working on the post-production side of things, It's more of a long slog, shoots are physical effort but they're over quickly.

Pre-production there's still the excitement of potential, by the time you hit post and it's tracking Johnny's eyes for the hundredth time, the excitement has died off - the only relief is when you get someone else's contribution, whether that's in sound or an edit.

At the end it's more just, that's not how I wanted it to be - but I think it might have been Dave Gibbons who posted about people only seeing how the end product falls short compared to how they imagined it - everyone else just sees the end product.

sheridan

Quote from: Steve Green on 16 May, 2017, 11:41:40 AM
Thanks, glad people enjoyed it!

I can't remember what I said exactly, but yeah with the fan films I tend to get a bit worn-out/depressed by the end of things.

Working on the post-production side of things, It's more of a long slog, shoots are physical effort but they're over quickly.

Pre-production there's still the excitement of potential, by the time you hit post and it's tracking Johnny's eyes for the hundredth time, the excitement has died off - the only relief is when you get someone else's contribution, whether that's in sound or an edit.

At the end it's more just, that's not how I wanted it to be - but I think it might have been Dave Gibbons who posted about people only seeing how the end product falls short compared to how they imagined it - everyone else just sees the end product.

Well, I've not quite seen the end product of the S/D film yet, but what I saw at the 40th was impressive - can't wait to see it again!  One week 'til planned release/publication date...

By the way, your film comes up second and third when I search for "Strontium Dog" on google...

Eamonn Clarke

Cheers, all. Thanks for all the support.
And stay tuned for a week's time when the CrazyFoxMachine leads me off-piste as we follow one of the UK's great comic auteurs, Bryan Talbot, to the Tale of One Bad Rat.

positronic

I hope he had something to say about Luther Arkwright, Nemesis, and a few other things as well. Should be interesting!

Eamonn Clarke

Thanks to a suggestion from the official art correspondent of the podcast, Lord Pete of Wells himself, we now have a virtual art gallery on Facebook for images of all the grail pages picked by my guests and myself.

I'm slowly adding the pictures as I go back and listen to the past episodes while I'm also editing the next three.

Check it out an enjoy. I'll try and add them here as we go along as well.

sheridan

Quote from: Eamonn Clarke on 21 May, 2017, 10:10:40 AM
Thanks to a suggestion from the official art correspondent of the podcast, Lord Pete of Wells himself, we now have a virtual art gallery on Facebook for images of all the grail pages picked by my guests and myself.

I'm slowly adding the pictures as I go back and listen to the past episodes while I'm also editing the next three.

Check it out an enjoy. I'll try and add them here as we go along as well.

The Facebook tag now makes sense!

Eamonn Clarke

The Crazy Fox Machine himself, Owen Watts, takes the book club off piste to discuss Bryan Talbot's stunning The Tale of One Bad Rat. Content warning: this book does deal with the consequences of child sexual abuse. It is a very important piece of literature but please be warned in advance.

Listen in and let us know

http://megacitybookclub.blogspot.co.uk/2017/05/mega-city-book-club-34-tale-of-one-bad.html

sheridan

Quote from: Eamonn Clarke on 28 May, 2017, 11:42:33 AM

And an ectastic moment for a grail page.

Just listening to the podcast now - it's been a very long time since I read it, but I'm doing a grand sort-out at the moment so I'm sure it'll emerge soon...

The grailpage there is the only one I can clearly remember off the top of my head, so good choice!