Main Menu

Reading habits...

Started by The Amstor Computer, 01 July, 2002, 09:29:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Amstor Computer

Curious - comics aside, what's everyone reading at the moment?

I'm working my way through:

Melmoth the Wanderer
The Illustrated History of the Mosquito
Lavondyss
The Illustrated Man
The Rabbits (Shaun Tan!)
Hyperion
The Mysterious Island (preparing for LOEG2 :-))
Stranger In A Strange Land
African Nomadic Architecture

A nice little mix that'll do for a week or so - and any recommendations would be welcome.

Smiley

Nomadic Architecture? There's an oxymoron.

Oddboy

The Two Towers (AGAIN!)
Man & Boy by Tony Parsons (but I haven't started it yet & probably won't until I've got through Return of the King so it'll take a while).
Better set your phaser to stun.

DavidXBrunt

The Wasp Factory - Ian Banks,
Down Under - Bill Bryson,
Doctor Who:Book of the Still - Paul Ebbs,
100 years of Solitude - Gabriel Garcia Marquez,
About a boy - Nick Hornby,
The Diary of Jack the Ripper - by some Victorian Madman,
The Rotters Club - Johnathon Coe.

But where to start.... Probably the Who, but there you go, that''s an adicts life.

Ol^ Marbles

I read a lot of history for some reason. Best stuff I've read in the last year or so :-

'Dreadnought : Britain, Germany and The Coming Of The Great War' by Robert Massie.

'Peter The Great' by Robert Massie (again). Massie's an excellent writer. Truth really is stranger than fiction - Tsar Peter secretly came to England during his reign and worked as a carpenter in the London docks icognito for 6 months!

'Byzantium' by John Julius Norwich - 3 part history of the Eastern Roman Empire - it only fell in the 16th century, having lasted over a millennium.

'Hundred Years War' by Jonathon Sumption. Detailed account in (so far) 2 thick volumes covering the war between France and England.

All of the above I'd highly recommend.

Mk13

>Nomadic Architecture? There's an oxymoron.

I think he means Portakabins...

paulvonscott

Orson Welles the road to Zanadu (Biography)
The Druids (non fiction)
Blakes 7 - Afterlife
Top Ten
Victor Book for Boys 1984, featuring a plucky young lad on the cover who is skating away from an evil nazi soldier.  By god, it make me proud to be british.

Art

Recent Reads (last month or so):

Lord of Light By Roger Zelazny
- Bonkers 60s/70s SF

The Fifth Head of Cerberus
- More classic SF

The Mechanical Turk  by Tom Standage
- Nonfiction. A book about the hostory of automata, particularly the chess playing turk

Zietgeist by Bruce Sterling
- Very cool book featuring recurring caracter Leggy Starlitz

Unorthodox Engineers  by Colin Kapp
- Extremely old schhool SF short stories

German Trauma by Gitta Sereny
- Nonfiction. Literaly the best book about WWII and its impact on the Germans I've ever read. Highly recommended

Heisenberg's War : The Secret History of the German Bomb By Thomas Powers
- Nonfiction, i've been slowly working my way through thsi one for ages.

Slippery PD

People obviously have/had more time than me:-
Recently
Ali - Biography
MSCE W2K training manuals (yawn...)
Simon Schama(sp?) history of Britain 1 & 2
The Beautiful Universe (?) - An investigation of String Theory - Greene - Hey Im a science geek!!
Heavens Mirror - some utterly mad man than likes to link ancient civilisations with atlantis.
It seems theres not one peice of fiction there

I also reread, often
Iain Banks - both contemporary and Sci-Fi (isnt complicity a great book???)
Tolkien
Herbert
Irving Welsh
And of course the galaxys greatest.......

Trout

Currently, the Trout is deep into The True History of the Kelly Gang, which is fascinating, even if the style's a little hard to deal with.

I've just finished Alan Clark's Diaries (yet again) and in the bookshop on Saturday I had my eye on the newer editions of the same.

I also picked up some Neil Gaiman thing which looks okay. It's his new one but the title escapes me. I'll get round to it after the Australian stuff.

- Picture a Trout with reading glasses on.

Art

I'm reading something quite interesting right now:  My Name Is Red by Orhan Pamuk, which is basically a murder mystery set amongst the illuminators of 1590s Istanbul. Whats interesting about it is that the illuminatuions were inherantly a narrative artform - there to tell a story, and so had a simplified, symbolic style as well as captions and to a certain extent multiple panels. A great upheaval is caused by the arrival of the European style - portrature, the highly detailed depitictions of objects which purport tp show a static moment of time rather than a narrative. Fasicnating stuff, especially for a comics and art geek such as myself.

Link: http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/057121224

Something Fishy

Funnily enough i'm reading About a boy.

I wasn't going to admit it but seeing as i'm not alone.

I think its great stuff.  Very amusing and particularly funny if you have a son yourself..