Main Menu

Should I renew the Meg when my subscription is up? Arghhhhhhh!!!!!

Started by crossbusterxk, 13 September, 2016, 10:28:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

IndigoPrime

I go annual combi, so digital Meg would only save seven quid. Even so, it's slightly tempting.

Geoff

Quote from: Colin_YNWA on 13 September, 2016, 09:13:30 PM

If you ain't enjoying it don't get it, simple as that. Much as we all like to support Rebellion I've always held we're not doing that by buying stuff for the sake of it. Stop buying what your not enjoying and they are encouraged to improve, which you'd hope would draw others back?

Hadn't really thought of that...I probably do buy it for the sake of it really.  I like to see the cover art - you get a great Fabry or MacNeil now and again and there's normally one story I enjoy, but that's about it so it's certainly not worth the 6 quid for me.

And why is it always the strip that I like the least - Ostriches/the Damned strip - that takes up most of the Magazine!? 

Jacqusie

Quote from: Geoff on 13 September, 2016, 10:25:01 PM
Quote from: Colin_YNWA on 13 September, 2016, 09:13:30 PM

If you ain't enjoying it don't get it, simple as that. Much as we all like to support Rebellion I've always held we're not doing that by buying stuff for the sake of it. Stop buying what your not enjoying and they are encouraged to improve, which you'd hope would draw others back?

Hadn't really thought of that...I probably do buy it for the sake of it really.  I like to see the cover art - you get a great Fabry or MacNeil now and again and there's normally one story I enjoy, but that's about it so it's certainly not worth the 6 quid for me.

And why is it always the strip that I like the least - Ostriches/the Damned strip - that takes up most of the Magazine!? 

I think these strips are

Jacqusie

oops!  :ssh:

I think these strips are ... (insert your own missive) sent to run the gauntlet and divide opinion, which they always seem to do on here. American Reaper just got silly - I've used less filler in my loft insulation and I really thought they were starting to take the piss.

The debate about the floppy costing anything is clearly a misnomer now and the Meg costs £6 with or with out it. So as the interviews are getting stretched to a point where we no longer care and the floppy is too, the question is what are they going to do about it going into 2017?

I loved the Darkie's Mob & Charley's War reprints and wish they'd carried on with those... instead of more sin Dex...ugh... :sick:

Fungus

Of course, anyone not enjoying the Meg should drop it. Blind loyalty isn't great if quality is a consideration. Personally I wouldn't miss it, sadly it can be a chore to get through - especially those floppies.

One big plus to the Meg is the outlet for creators; Flint, Ezquerra, MacNeil and the rest all appear, and if it supports UK talent, great (or Spanish - you know what I mean).

AlexF

Creator-owned strips like Realm of the Damned or American Reaper (love the former, less keen on the latter) are presumably much cheaper to run in the Meg, because I'm guessing Rebellion pay for a license to print it, rather than paying a fee for the writer/artist/letterer to actually put it together in the first place.
This may explain why they have a longer page count?

Luckily enough I am so easy to please that usually actively enjoye 3 or even all 4 of the main Meg strips. But there were times in Volumes 2 and 3 (when my parents paid for the comic, rather than me!) when it was more of a chore than a pleasure.

I do agree with the difficulty of keeping the details of a story in mind from one month to the next, even a story as compelling as Lawless. Not sure it's down to Tharg to fix my ageing brain, though!

Maybe what the Meg needs is a couple of one-page humour strips to add a little more variety, and perhaps another outlet for (cheap/easily exploitable) new creators...)

IndigoPrime

Quote from: AlexF on 14 September, 2016, 09:46:07 AMMaybe what the Meg needs is a couple of one-page humour strips to add a little more variety
Well, Rebellion does now own 20 years of the bulk of British humour comics! Judge Dredd: The Magazine, now featuring Sweeny Toddler and Buster.