Main Menu

Doctor Who - Season 8

Started by Goaty, 13 July, 2014, 09:18:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bad City Blue

managed to watch four episodes so far and will say the folowing:

Moffat seems to have finally cracked it.

Capaldi has the makings of the best Doctor of the current era.

Clara isn't irritating.

It's often very funny.

Episode 5 has a great, clever plot.

Mark Gatiss does his best yet with "Robots Of Sherwood", a very tongue in cheek, silly sci fi romp with loads of funny lines. Just don't take this one seriously.
Writer of SENTINEL, the best little indie out there

Hawkmumbler

I love how episode one appeares to be a rip off of Asylums Sherlock Holmes movie.

Grugz

blue , you in the biz? how did you get to see four already?! 

I am looking forward to this tonight . sky plus cadburys whole nut and a grolsch get the girls to bed and enjoy 80 mins of peace!
  I am pleased its going back to an older doc and less cuddly no matter how much I loved matt smiths tenure. I was also pleased about the reset button of the pandorica and the daleks ,proper daleks back as a constant.
don't get into an argument with an idiot,he'll drag you down to his level then win with experience!

http://forums.2000adonline.com/index.php/topic,26167.0.html

Bad City Blue

Quote from: Grugz on 23 August, 2014, 01:41:36 PM
blue , you in the biz? how did you get to see four already?! 

I am looking forward to this tonight . sky plus cadburys whole nut and a grolsch get the girls to bed and enjoy 80 mins of peace!
  I am pleased its going back to an older doc and less cuddly no matter how much I loved matt smiths tenure. I was also pleased about the reset button of the pandorica and the daleks ,proper daleks back as a constant.

Nah, just sneaked around on the internet.

Some people don't like doing it that way, but I'm okay with it. Looking forward to watching them again in glorious colour!
Writer of SENTINEL, the best little indie out there

Colin YNWA

Well that was okay. It got better as it went along. Hold out hope that Peter Capaldi could be very good indeed, Clara was less annoying. I already have a theory about 'heaven', we'll see.

TordelBack

Sheesh, I dunno about that lads.  Does every single thing have to be meticulously spelled out with metatextual wryness?  Not exactly 'lots of planets have a North' was it?  Found it a bit dull all in all, although Capaldi himself was grand and the effects were terrific.

Colin YNWA

Quote from: Official Hawkeye Pierce Action Figure on 23 August, 2014, 09:13:32 PM
Does every single thing have to be meticulously spelled out with metatextual wryness? 

I wish I'd said that as its so, so true.

Greg M.

"Please keep watching, fan-girls, we know he's not hot any more, but he's all vulnerable. We need your viewing figures. Stay! Stay!" Have a bit of dignity, Moffat.

It got better once the largely irrelevant opening spectacle was disposed of and the pace slowed down a little. Capaldi himself was great, and Jenna Coleman, who I've found fairly anonymous to date, was also noticeably improved. Trying to help the viewing public cope with the change by including familiar faces isn't a new idea – even JNT tried to get Sarah-Jane or Leela to come back for Peter Davison's era – but I wish they'd been braver and not bothered with the Paternoster lot. Having you-know-who on the phone was pathetic.

Jim_Campbell

You're all taking this far too seriously. Capaldi was great. Moffat will probably fuck it up, but I'll coast a good couple of episodes on sheer goodwill to our new Scottish overlord.

Cheers

Jim
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

The Legendary Shark

The Doctor should ditch Clara and start knocking about with Strax instead. Strax is brilliant.
[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

Link Prime

Quote from: Greg M. on 23 August, 2014, 09:38:46 PM
Having you-know-who on the phone was pathetic.

There was a time when having past Doctors show up in episodes gave me a fanboyish thrill, but this wasn't one of them.
It would take a lot for me to dislike Capaldi however, and he was indeed pretty good in this episode.
I just wish it had diverged more from the (IMO unnecessary) finding-it's-feet opener.
'Deep Breath'...felt more like a slow, raspy exhale.

Anyway, I'm cranky cause I (uncharacteristically) moronically drove my car 2K up the town earlier with the handbrake partially on.
No cool TARDIS sound effect alas, just the burning smell of a boy-racer's wet dream.  :'(

Hawkmumbler

Three very different reaction to the cross-species, gay snog.

Eva (9): Is this alowed in the bible?
Charlie (5): Yuck.
Hector (3): Is she a crocodile? Wouldn't she snap her wifes face off?

I'm so proud.

IndigoPrime

Having Smith there and the rest of that side of the episode was clearly Moffat speaking directly to the audience as much as the characters interacting. As for the episode, I quite enjoyed it, but that new theme tune is awful—nearly as bad as its nadir during the late 1980s.

maryanddavid

I watched most of this episode with the kids, and really enjoyed it, even though I was slightly confused. I have not watched an episode before, so its all new to me and the kids too. I have a vague Idea of what its about from the (great) Gibbons comics.
We have threatened to watch it for a while, this seemed like an ideal jumping on point. Good fun, bits scary in parts, and funny too, enough for them to ask when the next episode is on. We will give it another few week and see.

CrazyFoxMachine

Quote from: Greg M. on 23 August, 2014, 09:38:46 PM
"Please keep watching, fan-girls, we know he's not hot any more, but he's all vulnerable. We need your viewing figures. Stay! Stay!" Have a bit of dignity, Moffat.

Yep. There were so many Moffat mouth-pieces in here his awful metagenda irritatingly weighted the whole episode although in my mind it was swung into the positive by the bleak brilliance of director Ben Wheatley and the infinite depth of the everglorious Capaldi whose performance - forty percent blustery Tom Baker, twenty percent arrogant snippy Colin Baker and forty percent pure Capaldi was inspired. Jenna Coleman was brilliant also and shows here how much she was clearly phoning it in before as the half-character Clara - suddenly desperately sad to see her go.

[spoiler]Also 'missy'=mistress=female master - lipservice to the endless 'female regeneration' requests by making the master a woman - a brilliantly cast counter-Capaldi in Green Wing's Michelle Gomez.[/spoiler]

TALKING OF AMAZING CASTING. This series will have it in spades - next week features MICHAEL SMILEY and ZAWE ASHTON  :D

Conclusion:

A strong start but Moffat's era lacks consistency and I hope it can maintain its mood from here.