Main Menu

What do you want/not want from the Dredd sequel(s)?

Started by ChickenStu, 25 June, 2013, 11:27:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ChickenStu

OK I thought this would be a cool thread. Sorry if its been done. I was thinking this last night.

We've all heard the word that the blu-ray/DVD sales of Dredd have got the powers that be thinking there may be an audience for a sequel and it might be worth doing. Of course, even this alone is great news. So the big question is, what would we like to see in it? You never know... the filmmakers may look at this forum for ideas - stranger things have happened.

Anyway, I'll kick off this convo about what I want to see. Must warn you though, you may find some of my ideas a bit controversial...

Like this for instance: I don't EVER want to see Judge Death or the Dark Judges at any time in these movies. Why? Because one of the great things about Dredd  (for me) was it scaled back the world of Mega City One and made it believable. I loved how the film depicted the city and the world, and the fact that it was a lot less futuristic for me, created a better atmosphere. I LOVED the way it was done. I'd like that more realistic tone to be continued in sequels, and I personally think that all of a sudden introducing undead villains from another dimension would take something away from that.

Of course, I could be wrong. This is only my opinion after all. I just think that sometimes doing something the please the fans can actually hurt a movie and I offer Spider-Man 3 as an example. Seriously, how badly did they fuck up Venom? And I ain't even a Marvel fan and I'm saying that!

I also think they should avoid using Rico as a heavy. As much as we all hate the Stallone Judge Dredd film - Danny Cannon was a huge fan and that was HIS approach. Whilst most of us I'm sure would prefer that movie never happened, I think it would be disrespectful to the vision of those filmmakers to try and redo something they've already done - whether it was successful or not. That also means no Angel Family, no ABC robots, and no bullshit about Dredd being stripped of his rank or anything like that.

I would say NO Cursed Earth either - but I think that's something that cannot really be ignored and will need to be looked at in any further installments. I just think they've got to do it in such a way that it in NO WAY reminds audiences of the 95 film. And that, I think IS possible.

What I personally WOULD like to see is a story set pretty much entirely on the streets of Mega City One. Maybe a film set the next day after Dredd where he's told to take Anderson onto the streets to continue with her training. I'd like to see a story which takes SOME cues from The Day The Law Died, and maybe Dredd and Anderson have to stop some sort of revolution/coup - with Dredd actually siding with the people of MC1 to restore order and justice to a city and a system which has become corrupt. Of course, you're in tricky territory cause some of that stuff was used in the 95 movie - so some careful picking and choosing would have to be done. But I think a story that ends with Dredd, some other Judges, and some deputized citizens storming the Hall Of Justice to essentially dethrone a mad ruler could really be something to see!

Anyway, that's my two cents. What about you guys? 
Ma Ma's not the law... (you know the rest)

JOE SOAP

Quote from: ChickenStu on 25 June, 2013, 11:27:30 PM
I just think they've got to do it in such a way that it in NO WAY reminds audiences of the 95 film.

But I think a story that ends with Dredd, some other Judges, and some deputized citizens storming the Hall Of Justice to essentially dethrone a mad ruler could really be something to see!

That was essentially the story/ending in the original draft of William Wisher's 1993 screenplay.

At some point you just have to leave the '95 film behind and forget about it. It shouldn't force them to creatively dis-band certain ideas just because the '95 film did them wrong.

Dreddzilla

I'd personally like to see the sequel deal with Democracy Now / Total War.
A real Political Action Thriller.

Professor Bear

Something set in the Cursed Earth or the Undercity.

Jim_Campbell

No Judge Death. Seriously: He scared the shit out of me when I was 12, but I don't want to see him in a film.
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

Goaty

Quote from: Mr 9.8 on 26 June, 2013, 12:11:47 AM
I'd personally like to see the sequel deal with Democracy Now / Total War.
A real Political Action Thriller.

Captain America: Winter Soldier doing that now.

Rusty

A murder of a senior judge by someone or something. Anderson features, but only enough to suggest that the perp escaped out into the Cursed Earth where Dredd and possibly even Hershey and a couple of other judges go out to find him/her. Something simple along those lines. The city and the surroundings need to be brought to life and fleshed out as Dredd was in the first.

HdE

If a sequel were to be made, I'd like to see a wider focus. More Judges, more of the Mega City's particular afflictions... you could easily spin another movie just out f 24 hours on patrol with Ol' Stoney Face.
Check out my DA page! Point! Laugh!
http://hde2009.deviantart.com/

Alfaro

More action across the city. Maybe bring Chopper into the mix then spin him out into his own tie-in film so we can have a Skysurf competition through MC1.

I agree that keeping it grounded is probably best, so no Judge Death.
@DJ_AlphaT

Muon

If a sequel ever gets made, I reckon they should follow current trends and "Nolanize" it. This would involve avoiding using the name "Judge Dredd" or "Dredd" in the title and instead giving him a mysterious, profound-sounding moniker like "The Helmeted One". Then they could have Dredd spend half the film whining about how his leg hurts.

radiator

I've said it before, but a hypothetical sequel should open in a very similar way to the first film, but with Chopper giving the voiceover instead of Dredd.

We get a montage of Chopper suiting up to go out on a tagging run, readying his powerboard etc interspersed with a montage of judges attacking protestors and using excessive force, playing over it is a reworked 'Mega City One' theme, and Chopper's v/o mirrors Dredd's in the first film, but tells up the flipside of the Judicial system, setting the scene for a tale about the death of democracy and the history of Justice Department.

Then cut to another awesome scene of Dredd chasing criminals!

Muon

Quote from: radiator on 26 June, 2013, 09:01:04 AM
I've said it before, but a hypothetical sequel should open in a very similar way to the first film, but with Chopper giving the voiceover instead of Dredd.

We get a montage of Chopper suiting up to go out on a tagging run, readying his powerboard etc interspersed with a montage of judges attacking protestors and using excessive force, playing over it is a reworked 'Mega City One' theme, and Chopper's v/o mirrors Dredd's in the first film, but tells up the flipside of the Judicial system, setting the scene for a tale about the death of democracy and the history of Justice Department.

Then cut to another awesome scene of Dredd chasing criminals!

Damn, that sounds great! I like the idea of it replicating the symmetry of the voiceovers in DREDD.

radiator

QuoteMore action across the city. Maybe bring Chopper into the mix then spin him out into his own tie-in film so we can have a Skysurf competition through MC1.

Garland mentioned that film 2 would have dealt with the democracy storyline, combined with elements of Origins and The Cursed Earth, and that Chopper would have featured as a character.

My guess is that they would have played up the rebellious aspects of Chopper - him becoming a symbol of resistance to the population (and the pro-democratic movement), rather than the Supersurf side of things (though that could have been alluded to). I imagine they'd have portrayed him as a Banksy-like figure, but on a much, much bigger scale, pulling off the kind of stunts we see him doing in 'Unamerican Graffiti'.

radiator

I was skeptical at first, but I'd have been interested to see what they'd have done with Judge Death.

I once said in a similar thread that I would combine the stories of The Day the Law Died and Judge Death for a new spin on the character, and Garland seemed to hint that that was along the lines he was thinking when he mentioned the prospective sequels.

ChickenStu

Wow, I thought I'd get flamed for saying I didn't want to see Judge Death! Pleasantly surprised that others seem to agree. If there was direct to DVD animated adventures like the DC/Warner Premiere ones - then I'd love to see Death in one of those... I just can't see him working in the world that the Dredd movie set up.

I could be wrong. Maybe Garland's got this one nailed and I don't know it yet.
Ma Ma's not the law... (you know the rest)