Main Menu

What do you want/not want from the Dredd sequel(s)?

Started by ChickenStu, 25 June, 2013, 11:27:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Steve Green

Quote from: ChickenStu on 26 June, 2013, 11:01:12 PM
Quote from: Steve Green on 26 June, 2013, 07:53:20 PMI don't think it was ever done in the comic, but I thought Death corrupting the judges Necropolis-style and having them marching the citizens en-masse at gunpoint straight to Resyk would be pretty horrific.

Oh dude, no way! They'd never get that past the ratings board!  :o

I don't think it's much worse than using slomo on victims and skinning them alive.

Depends how much you needed to show.

M.I.K.

Quote from: blackmocco on 27 June, 2013, 12:01:51 AM
Death in this version of Dredd would be like introducing Bat-Mite into Nolan's Batverse.

This does nothing to dissuade me.

Quite the opposite.

auxlen

QuoteI'd personally like to see the sequel deal with Democracy Now / Total War.
A real Political Action Thriller.

this. i may have little faith in the viewing populace but you cant have a 'realistic' action future flick and then throw monsters in it. people wont buy it!

radiator

Worth pointing out that the first film already showed or implied the existence of supernatural/fantastical elements such and psychic powers and mutants, so it wouldn't be as much of a jump to get to the Dark Judges. As I said, it would just depend on how they handled it.

auxlen

good point well made radiator.

possible sequel idea: a claims direct legal case from the relatives of ma ma for her non conventional type of death? :lol:

Richard

QuoteI just think that sometimes doing something the please the fans can actually hurt a movie
Hear hear!
Does anyone think we would have got anything as good as Dredd if Alex Garland had looked at this website and done what we said we wanted? I doubt it. He did his own thing and I'm glad.

JOE SOAP

Quote from: radiator on 27 June, 2013, 04:42:34 PM
Worth pointing out that the first film already showed or implied the existence of supernatural/fantastical elements such and psychic powers and mutants, so it wouldn't be as much of a jump to get to the Dark Judges.

This facet is often too easily disregarded. Just like the comic, DREDD has elements of realism and fantasy and while there is a visceral pared-down feeling to it all, it's not operating in, or presenting, 'reality'.  What's real about the film is characters act and react like real people in extraordinary situations but that doesn't make it Ken Loach.

blackmocco

Well, let me clarify my point about Death. If we're talking multiple sequels then yes, by all means let's have them further down the road when we've fleshed out this world a little and given it some context for them to appear. For me, it just feels like it would be too much of a jolt in style to jump from what we've seen so far.
"...and it was here in this blighted place, he learned to live again."

www.BLACKMOCCO.com
www.BLACKMOCCO.blogspot.com

JOE SOAP

Quote from: blackmocco on 27 June, 2013, 11:47:22 PM
Well, let me clarify my point about Death. If we're talking multiple sequels then yes, by all means let's have them further down the road when we've fleshed out this world a little and given it some context for them to appear. For me, it just feels like it would be too much of a jolt in style to jump from what we've seen so far.

I'm always about the long-march.

JOE SOAP

To expand further on the notion of Death & Co. appearing in any DREDD film, as a concept they more or less occupy the extreme-margins of the values that define the world-philosophy in JUDGE DREDD so any films that would follow that thematic would find it difficult to top. Best to leave them till the very end.

COMMANDO FORCES

I want more violence, more excellent weapon handling and tactical skills, more Judges involved (some more with names we have heard of), more weaponry from Justice Department and lots of everyday crime at the start to take us into the main story proper!

What I don't want is any uniform alterations, apart from more gear on the belt rig, overly complex political machinations, no bent Judges at any level and no red shirt Judges!

Recrewt

Ha! I would have thought CF would want:

"a sequence when we see a line of parked cars destroyed with colourful explosions and all flip in the air"   ;)

For me all I really want for the sequel is DEATH.  I have waited too long for the whole 'leave it for a few more films' approach - I want it NOW.  And I think it could work - as another poster suggested, just drop him in and don't bother explaining his background.  I probably wouldn't include him jumping from body to body but I think it could work very well having a character that Dredd 'puts down' several times in the movie but he keeps getting back up! 

Every hero needs a nemesis so no more pussyfooting around, lets get him in there.

The Sherman Kid

Quote from: COMMANDO FORCES on 29 June, 2013, 02:50:02 AM
I want more violence, more excellent weapon handling and tactical skills, more Judges involved (some more with names we have heard of), more weaponry from Justice Department and lots of everyday crime at the start to take us into the main story proper!

What I don't want is any uniform alterations, apart from more gear on the belt rig, overly complex political machinations, no bent Judges at any level and no red shirt Judges!

^ This  :thumbsup:

junox

in second  movie id like to see
1. intro of robots to the  big meg  (causing vast unemployment)
2. maybe robot wars
3. Walter the robot played  by  Asimo hondo
4. main story line possibly America Democracy
5. side story some Otto Sump + BOING + muties
6. more DREDD on his bike going  round clobbering perps and  leaving them at holding posts for h wagons etc
7. more work on the overcrowding of the city (mobile homes) on the skedway or ZOOM
8. if Rico ever shows up  he should be played by a  cyborg Karl urban  manupulated to survive titan was it ?