Main Menu

Amazon 1-Star Reviews (people who didn't get it)

Started by GrinningChimera, 31 October, 2013, 06:24:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GrinningChimera

For a laugh I thought I'd read the one star amazon reviews for Dredd. Now I'm all for people having an opinion and different tastes in films and whatnot. But these people....well, read for yourself.

-This movie is absolutely not for young people. It will probably give me a nightmare tonight. Really.

-This is such a bad remake of a barely watchable original.

-I watched about 15 minutes of this and shut it off. The Stallone version was way better, and it was just ok.

-Not my type of movie or entertainment. Too violent and loud sound affects.

-Can't replace Stalone and expect anything good

- It has really bad graphics for a movie that is supposed to take place in the future.

- I love the Die Hards, so violence isn't something I shrink from...but it has to have substantial heroes with some morality and a hint of honor.

-Is just look fake, exaggerated, unbelievable and trying to have the actor look and act like Silvester, was a negative impact on the movie.

-They really have no reason to move around. There is no tension. There is little impelling the story to go to the next scene. AND the whole thing is pretty racist.

-This movie is in direct conflict with the principles of American society.

-it was the most depressing movie I have ever seen. woman bites off a mans body part with her teeth, has everyone making and or selling drugs. uses her hands to blind her own son, throwing men off the 200 floor. I will never watch this movie again

Were these people really watching the same film as me?? If you want a laugh you can find all of the one star reviews here http://www.amazon.com/Dredd-Blu-ray-Digital-Copy-UltraViolet/product-reviews/B005LAII80/ref=cm_cr_pr_btm_link_1?ie=UTF8&filterBy=addOneStar&showViewpoints=0&sortBy=bySubmissionDateDescending

Dark Jimbo

These all made sense when it clicked about halfway through that these are reviews from the American Amazon. Fair enough that they might not know of the character and view the movie purely as a 'Stallone remake', and you can't be surprised if any irony or subtext goes straight over their heads.
@jamesfeistdraws

Tiplodocus

Quote from: Dark Jimbo on 31 October, 2013, 07:04:14 PM
These all made sense when it clicked about halfway through that these are reviews from the American Amazon. Fair enough that they might not know of the character and view the movie purely as a 'Stallone remake', and you can't be surprised if any irony or subtext goes straight over their heads.

A bit of a trite generalisation there. There are many people in many countries, ours included,  that don't get irony or subtext. There are a lot of smart Americans  out there as well.
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

IronGraham

the racist part has me curious? there are black criminals but there are also black judges the chief judge is black? or was it a different race also the reading that the guy who had cyber eyes being ma-ma's son interesting?
We're werewolves not swearwolves

Dandontdare

Quote from: GrinningChimera on 31 October, 2013, 06:24:28 PM
-This movie is absolutely not for young people. It will probably give me a nightmare tonight. Really.

You may not agree, but these are perfectly valid opinions

JOE SOAP

Quote from: Dark Jimbo on 31 October, 2013, 07:04:14 PM

1500 out of those 2000 American reviews are rated 5 and 4 star. DREDD isn't as pronounced in its portrayal of the explicit satire of the comic but considering the success of RoboCop in the US I don't think Americans in general have a problem with either irony or subtext. They did after all invent The Simpsons and The Larry Sanders Show.

Link Prime

Quote from: JOE SOAP on 31 October, 2013, 07:40:14 PM
I don't think Americans in general have a problem with either irony or subtext. They did after all invent The Simpsons and The Larry Sanders Show.

And three other words; Curb Your Enthusiasm

JOE SOAP

JOE SOAP

GrinningChimera

If you had said to me Lego film BEFORE I watched the trailer, I'd had said why... I gotta admit that looked kinda cool :D

Dreddzilla

This comment made me facepalm '-This movie is in direct conflict with the principles of American society.

Really? I thought it nailed it.
:lol:

Dudley

Quote from: Mr 9.8 on 01 November, 2013, 06:03:34 AM
This comment made me facepalm '-This movie is in direct conflict with the principles of American society.

Really? I thought it nailed it.
:lol:

Me too: the only difference between us fans and that reviewer is that we think that's a good thing..

Rusty

This one made me laugh the most for some reason:

"-it was the most depressing movie I have ever seen. woman bites off a mans body part with her teeth, has everyone making and or selling drugs. uses her hands to blind her own son, throwing men off the 200 floor. I will never watch this movie again "

Dredd certainly shocked a few people, then. Good.

Still, those reviews absolutely pale in comparison to the views of the film of one of my mates. It's not Americans that don't get the film or the character: it's just, well, there's no real easy way to put it, less 'cultured' or versed in the arts of subtlety and detail kinds of people that don't get it. If you don't know how to look or read between lines to understand varies nuances of films like this, then forget it. Then there are people who want the long, boring, drawn out overly-convoluted 3 hour long CGI filled stories. A simple plot like Dredd's automatically means it's going to be crap.

Spaceghost

Quote from: Rusty on 01 November, 2013, 05:58:59 PM
This one made me laugh the most for some reason:

"-it was the most depressing movie I have ever seen. woman bites off a mans body part with her teeth, has everyone making and or selling drugs. uses her hands to blind her own son, throwing men off the 200 floor. I will never watch this movie again "

Dredd certainly shocked a few people, then. Good.

Still, those reviews absolutely pale in comparison to the views of the film of one of my mates. It's not Americans that don't get the film or the character: it's just, well, there's no real easy way to put it, less 'cultured' or versed in the arts of subtlety and detail kinds of people that don't get it. If you don't know how to look or read between lines to understand varies nuances of films like this, then forget it. Then there are people who want the long, boring, drawn out overly-convoluted 3 hour long CGI filled stories. A simple plot like Dredd's automatically means it's going to be crap.

So what you're saying is, thick cunts are too thick to get it? Yes, seems like a watertight theory to me.

As for the above opinions being 'valid', I would have to argue that it takes more than just being uttered by a human to make an opinion valid. Some people are just too frigging stupid to have their opinion taken seriously.
Raised in the wild by sarcastic wolves.

Previously known as L*e B*tes. Sshhh, going undercover...

Dandontdare

Quote from: Dandontdare on 31 October, 2013, 07:38:50 PM
Quote from: GrinningChimera on 31 October, 2013, 06:24:28 PM

You may not agree, but these are perfectly valid opinions

Quote from: Spaceghost on 01 November, 2013, 09:46:59 PM
As for the above opinions being 'valid', I would have to argue that it takes more than just being uttered by a human to make an opinion valid. Some people are just too frigging stupid to have their opinion taken seriously.

So if someone thinks that they don't like Dredd because it's too violent, which is the gist of the opinions I highlighted, then they are a  "friging stupid"?

I fucking hate  this 'opinion-fascism', whereby if somebody doesn't like what you do they're slagged off for being stupid.

Dredd is a niche movie. Not everyone is going to like it. Get over it.