Main Menu

Russian Doll - Netflix

Started by shaolin_monkey, 04 February, 2019, 01:20:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

shaolin_monkey

Anyone watched this?  I think it has been added recently.

I chained it on the weekend - lots of nice half hour episodes.

Basically, it's a Groundhog Day-style story of people stuck in a 24 hour time loop, where at the end of each 24 hour period the protagonist dies in a more unfortunate and horrible way.  The loop is a narrative device, rather than anything blamed on aliens or other-hand waving stuff, as it allows the characters to moved inwards (like a Russian Doll!) as they explore their own damage and how they get past it.

The characters are excellent, particularly the lead role, and the humour is dark as hell, and laugh out loud funny.  On face value it may appear shallow, but it's multi-layered as hell, with any number of ways to interpret the events and key things that recur - the loss of her cat, the importance of the book, mirrors etc.

Very much recommended.

Mardroid

I've seen the promo, and it seemed my cup of tea. I appreciate your review, as it's difficult to tell, with new stuff. Thanks.

CalHab

I'm halfway through, but I'm struggling with the lead. She's a pretty ridiculous character and her drug/alcohol misuse seems to be played for laughs at points. I'll persist, as there is the basis of a good idea in there, even if it came from Punxsatawney Phil's film (and was done better there). There are also some intriguing hints being dropped that might bear fruit and stop me thinking about how much I'd prefer to be watching Bill Murray.

von Boom

I saw the preview for this and immediately watched Groundhog Day. For me, the preview did its job.

CalHab

Did Netflix release this on Groundhog Day?

Definitely Not Mister Pops

You may quote me on that.

CalHab

I see what you did there.

Tjm86

Quote from: Mister Pops on 04 February, 2019, 04:24:38 PM

CalHab

CalHab

shaolin_monkey

shaolin_monkey

Natasha Lyonne created, wrote, directed, produced, and starred in the show.

von Boom

shaolin_monkey

shaolin_monkey

Natasha Lyonne created, wrote, directed, produced, and starred in the show.