Main Menu

Russian Doll - Netflix

Started by shaolin_monkey, 04 February, 2019, 01:20:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bad City Blue

Writer of SENTINEL, the best little indie out there

CalHab

I watched the rest of this. It improves substantially towards the end of the series and manages to establish enough new ideas that I stopped thinking about Punxsutawney Phil and Ned Ryerson. I still find the lead to be a bit of a charicature, but it's a good watch.

Dandontdare

I'm 5 episodes in and thinking of rationing the rest to one a day to eke it out a bit more. Loving it.

shaolin_monkey

Quote from: Dandontdare on 07 February, 2019, 07:58:27 AM
I'm 5 episodes in and thinking of rationing the rest to one a day to eke it out a bit more. Loving it.

Awesome! Glad you're enjoying it! I think it's by far one of the best of Netflix's home grown shows.

The Enigmatic Dr X

It's like Pringles. Not very good, unsatisfying and yet I keep reaching for just... one... more.
Lock up your spoons!

I, Cosh

Quote from: The Enigmatic Dr X on 11 February, 2019, 09:18:47 AM
It's like Pringles. Not very good, unsatisfying and yet I keep reaching for just... one... more.

Is there a line in this about putting as much cocaine in a cake as the Israelis?

If so, I haven't seen it but my girlfriend watched about five episodes in a row one night last week while I was playing the Playstation or something equally constructive. She then declared it to be a lot of rubbish and she wasn't wasting her time watching any more.

If not, the same but with a different programme.
We never really die.

Dandontdare

Gotta get up, gotta get out, gotta GET THAT BLOODY SONG OUT OF MY HEAD!

Quote from: I, Cosh on 11 February, 2019, 09:52:35 AM
Is there a line in this about putting as much cocaine in a cake as the Israelis?

There' a lot of talk about Israeli joints laced with cocaine (that turns out to be not cocaine)

I've just got to the end and I loved it - going to have to rewatch to pick up all the gradual changes. It was pitched as a 3 season idea, so we should be getting more. Did anyone notice the [spoiler]multiple Nadias in the parade - she passes two of herself in the crowd, and it seems like the 'aware' versions of each get back together by the end (courtesy of two heavily telegraphed costume changes)[/spoiler]

shaolin_monkey

Quote from: Dandontdare on 11 February, 2019, 11:09:22 AM

Did anyone notice the [spoiler]multiple Nadias in the parade - she passes two of herself in the crowd, and it seems like the 'aware' versions of each get back together by the end (courtesy of two heavily telegraphed costume changes)[/spoiler]

[spoiler]Yes - it's a blink and you miss it, but you see them both from behind.  I thought that was a great touch![/spoiler]

Colin YNWA

Well blasted through this - well Season 1 anyway - in the last week and it was fantastic. The ending was just perfect (yes I did see the two Nadias passing each other. Loved it.

Anyway that also begs a question, should I watch Season 2? There didn't seem much else to add and the trailer makes it look like its laying things on for no real reason... but it was so good... I really should just take the risk...

Definitely Not Mister Pops

I didn't know there was a second season, I don't know why there's a second season, and the fact I haven't heard about a second season means I probably won't watch a second season.
You may quote me on that.

M.I.K.

Quote from: Colin YNWA on 29 October, 2023, 10:08:40 PMAnyway that also begs a question, should I watch Season 2? There didn't seem much else to add

It's pretty much a separate story about the same characters experiencing a slightly different variation of metaphysical time-wonkiness involving their family histories. If the first series is Groundhog Day, the second series is Quantum Leap. I liked it.

Blue Cactus

I didn't mind the second season but also felt it didn't really need to exist. The first was a perfect one-and-done.

Jimmy Baker's Assistant

I loved season 1 and couldn't finish season 2. It's just so.... pointless.

If you want more Natasha Lyonne playing basically the same character, I recommend you give Pokerface a try instead. Especially if you also like Columbo.

The Legendary Shark

I need to watch them both again, but I remember S1 being very fresh and S2 being a little bit stale.

And another vote for Poker Face, which manages to be old-fashioned and modern at the same time.

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

M.I.K.

Quote from: M.I.K. on 30 October, 2023, 02:40:56 AMIf the first series is Groundhog Day, the second series is Quantum Leap.

It seems when I said this I was inadvertantly almost directly quoting something Natasha Lyonne had said in an interview, (but with "season" in place of "series"). Thing is, I have no recollection of encountering said interview previously. I am now slightly concerned that I may have been under the control of a Quantum-Leaping Natasha Lyonne.