Main Menu

2000 AD - The Ultimate Collection

Started by Molch-R, 27 February, 2017, 06:03:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pete Wells

The making of Boo Cooks' Ultimate Collection Spine is on 2000AD Covers Uncovered. It's amazing the effort that something like this requires. His account of it is hilarious and horrifying in equal measure! You can read it here: http://2000ad.com/post/2113

TordelBack

Not only the most flawlessly amazing single piece of comics art I've seen in many, many years, but also the best ever Covers Uncovered entry. Double congrats! 

I would never have thought a spine image could make me want to subscribe to something so ultimately expensive, but this one does.  Bravo Boo.

(Feek's friends are ugh-bugs, are they not?) 

matty_ae

That's very very cool. I love Boo's colouring.

Also on the Hachette mock-ups it looked like all their feet were cut-off in order to have the book title on the spine. Really hoping this is just an unfortunate mock-up that is not scaled properly.

Pete Wells

I adore this little sequence, Dante getting his arse felt by Ro-Jaws while he stops Nemesis from killing Stickleback:

What I'm keen to see, however, is what issue will get that prominent pile of shit from the bottom left on the spines. Will it be the Space Girls reprint? The Millar Robohunter issue? Junker?  :lol:

abelardsnazz

it's a truly amazing piece of work and a fascinating insight into its creation. Thanks Boo and Pete.

davidbishop

Quote from: Pete Wells on 13 August, 2017, 09:47:51 AM
I adore this little sequence, Dante getting his arse felt by Ro-Jaws while he stops Nemesis from killing Stickleback:

What I'm keen to see, however, is what issue will get that prominent pile of shit from the bottom left on the spines. Will it be the Space Girls reprint? The Millar Robohunter issue? Junker?  :lol:

I'm thinking Space Girls, Soul Sisters & Dead Men Walking in one tome - maybe throw B.L.A.I.R. 1 on top of this bonfire of my vanities...  ;)

davidbishop

Woolly

Quote from: davidbishop on 13 August, 2017, 11:33:22 AM
I'm thinking Space Girls, Soul Sisters & Dead Men Walking in one tome - maybe throw B.L.A.I.R. 1 on top of this bonfire of my vanities...  ;)

davidbishop

You're way too hard on yourself, y'know. Dead Men Walking was loads of fun, and your other contributions to the Prog/Meg/Books (Fiends, Savage Amusement, Cursed Earth Asylum, Silencer, Bad Moon Rising, Straight-jacket Fits, to name but a few) have been mostly fantastic*. Especially the novels.
And, y'know, you helped save the fucking prog!

Seriously, big yourself up for once! You've earned it!

*That said, Space Girls was utter shit  ;)

Tomwe

https://www.facebook.com/2000ADCollection/posts/1852317801763210?comment_id=1852402051754785&comment_tracking=%7B%22tn%22%3A%22R%22%7D

The Facebook page has been forthcoming with complete details on the Nikolai Dante books - they are volumes 1-9. I will let you follow the link to see the issue numbers, but they too are in chronological l order rather than the typical partwork nonsense.

What this does mean though is that the Stront issue coming early on may well be first of those, and as it is volume 11 there's not exactly a lot of room for a complete run of SD. Maybe they are going for colour content over b/w.

Tomwe

PS I also asked about BAD Company - https://www.facebook.com/2000ADCollection/posts/1850963138565343?comment_id=1852390945089229&comment_tracking=%7B%22tn%22%3A%22R%22%7D
You'll be happy to hear that Bad Company Vol 1 & 2 will feature in the collection! Issues 33 and 50, Volumes 52 and 53.

abelardsnazz

Other information in answers to questions on the Facebook page as follows:

No plans for Red Seas, Indigo Prime, Tyranny Rex or the Ten Seconders at present

Ampney Crucis is issue 68, stickleback issue 46, one of these is volume 65

Agreed regarding Strontium Dog, hopefully it will include some of the classic B&W stories like Outlaw & Rage. Also wondering what Rogue & Slaine will be included and whether Nemesis will be a complete run.

IndigoPrime

No Red Seas isn't a surprise, given the presumably less than stellar sales of two attempts at the strip in the Rebellion trades. Indigo Prime's omission is a blow though – not least the superb and beautifully weird Killing Time. I wonder if there will be any John Smith series in this, then? (Matt said on the podcast Firekind's not in there.)

I suppose Boo's art provides an indication of the bulk of what we can expect:

(L-to-R) Tharg and dictators of Zrag; Dredd; Strontium Dog; Robo-Hunter; ABC Warriors; Nikolai Dante; Stickleback; Nemesis the Warlock; Skizz; Durham Red; Rogue Trooper; Bill Savage (so Invasion and/or Savage); Shakara; Ampney Crucis; Caballistics; Kingdom; Sinister Dexter; Slain; Zombo; Ace Trucking; Halo Jones; DR & Quinch; Bad Company.

Also: good to see: 1) they're being forthcoming about what is and isn't in there (after all, why not be?), and; 2) they've gone for chronological release order for Nikolai Dante. Here's hoping they do the same for other series. (But, man, issue 77 for the last Nikolai Dante book. SO FAR AWAY!)

Colin YNWA

Quote from: IndigoPrime on 14 August, 2017, 01:06:58 PM

Also: good to see: 1) they're being forthcoming about what is and isn't in there (after all, why not be?), and; 2) they've gone for chronological release order for Nikolai Dante. Here's hoping they do the same for other series. (But, man, issue 77 for the last Nikolai Dante book. SO FAR AWAY!)

Yeah but if they are good (I'm a little nervous about the size) only having to wait 2 years (I think) to have a full hardcover collection of Dante is pretty bloomin' cool.

Thanks for the link to the Dante issue numbers Tomwe I'm gonna have to try really hard to make sure I get these if the first one turns out okay... quite excited by the prospect.

TordelBack

Quote from: Colin YNWA on 14 August, 2017, 01:25:04 PM
Yeah but if they are good (I'm a little nervous about the size) only having to wait 2 years (I think) to have a full hardcover collection of Dante is pretty bloomin' cool.

Your sums are a bit off there Pete, sorry force of habit, Colin: at 26 volumes a year, Issue 77 is three years away. The year of hindsight.

Sorry that Red Seas isn't in there (I can understand why, but still), but no Firekind nor Indigo Prime...  that really is a pity.  The Bagwell IP series alone would justify inclusion, never mind what wonders came before.  Still, I'm assuming Cradlegrave made the cut: there are tough choices and then there is madness.

JaHawkDroid

Glad they've split Dante equally over the run. Gives me something to excited for.

Though I do wish they'd just release the series list.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

IndigoPrime

Quote from: Colin YNWA on 14 August, 2017, 01:25:04 PM(I'm a little nervous about the size)
in what way? Page sizes are only fractionally shorter than a standard trade. But also the books are really sturdy. (A lot of my Rebellion paperbacks have now warped, from being stood on end for years.)

Quote from: TordelBack on 14 August, 2017, 01:53:09 PMno Firekind nor Indigo Prime...  that really is a pity
From what Matt was saying on the podcast, the series is mostly about major players, with the odd other volume for a taste of other things. And although there are some double-bills, they seem to have been reserved for relative heavy hitters (Skizz/DR & Quinch). A Smith volume would have been lovely, but there you go. (And no Indigo Prime at all is such a shame. Still, if it extends beyond 80 issues...)

QuoteI'm assuming Cradlegrave made the cut: there are tough choices and then there is madness.
I don't recall it being mentioned either way, but I wouldn't hold my breath, given the comment – made several times – that decisions were often down to fitting page count (200–250). So Cradlegrave would have to be part of a book with a bunch of other stuff (some kind of horror volume, perhaps). I'd happily buy that, obv.

Quote from: JaHawkDroid on 14 August, 2017, 01:53:58 PMThough I do wish they'd just release the series list.
Likewise. I imagine the publisher likes surprising people now and again or assumes people would be less likely to take a punt on seeing what is/isn't in the series. Honestly, I'm still on the fence because of knowing more, rather than less. The podcast, if anything, put me off of subscribing, because I found more stuff I don't care for in the mix, and things I'd loved to have seen confirmed as omitted. For others, it'll be the other way around. But, yeah, knowing what your investment of 800 quid is going to get you would be nice.