Main Menu

2000 AD - The Ultimate Collection

Started by Molch-R, 27 February, 2017, 06:03:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

IndigoPrime

It wouldn't surprise me if they do a Red Seas with that eventually, and do massive digital trades. I'll be bloody amazed if we ever see a complete run in print though.

matty_ae

Quote from: Dark Jimbo on 14 August, 2017, 03:56:38 PM

You know what? Yes. It is.

BUT almost more than any Tooth series, Dante is all about the long-form beginning-middle-end narrative. It's just madness to collect it any other way. Plus, well, it's one of the jewels in Tharg's crown.

I couldn't agree more with this assessment on both counts. As a lapsed reader who missed everything from prog 900 - 1600 this story really stood head and shoulders above the rest. I hope this leads to loads of lapsed readers having the same experience I did, of realising they really missed something special and now they get to have it all at an affordable price.

jrdd

Quote from: TordelBack on 14 August, 2017, 03:12:34 PM
It'd be nice if we got at least two.  You could (I think) do Eurocrash and Downlode Tales in one volumed (something around 210 pages), but it you could fit maybe 25 carerfully-selected episodes in ahead of Eurocrash in the first volume, and then run Downlode tales and another 20 in after that.  That'd give a nice flavour of one-offs and continuity events.   That's probably the best you could do: there's just too much of it, something like 160 individual stories, a lot of them one-episodes, but plenty of them longer, and more still key elements in definite arcs.  Of course the recent Meg floppies might hint at the easy availability of everything running from Downlode Tales to the War of the Moses.

Anyone have an overall page count in their head/spreadsheet/headsheet?

Hmm... the perfect excuse to post an updated version of my SinDex list!

As for the Ultimate Collection, really pleased to see this happening and to hear the Dredd Mega Collection was so successful.  Dante's a must-buy for me, and Red Seas would've been too.  Tempted to wait and see what they do with SinDex - I already have the pick'n'mix paperbacks from years ago, however if they did a complete run of the 'Moses Wars / Alternative Dimensions' arc that might be tempting - it reads so much better in one go compared to the rather sporadic run it had in the prog.

IndigoPrime

I'm a bit full of flu, but I think this is what we know for sure so far:

11 - Strontium Dog: The Kreeler Conspiracy: Issue 4
52 - Bad Company, Vol 1: Issue 33
53 - Bad Company, Vol 2: Issue 50
Alan Moore Future Shocks: Issue ??
All-Star Future Shocks: Issue ??
Ampney Crucis Investigates: Issue 65
Ballad of Halo Jones: Issue 2
Caballistics: Issue ??
Caballistics + Absalom: Issue ??
Durham Red (Abnett): Issue ??
Hewlingan's Haircut/Sooner or Later: Issue ??
Nemesis the Warlock, Vol 1: Issue 5
Nikolai Dante, Vol 1: Issue 8
Nikolai Dante, Vol 2: Issue 12
Nikolai Dante, Vol 3: Issue 19
Nikolai Dante, Vol 4: Issue 35
Nikolai Dante, Vol 5: Issue 53
Nikolai Dante, Vol 6: Issue 62
Nikolai Dante, Vol 7: Issue 69
Nikolai Dante, Vol 8: Issue 74
Nikolai Dante, Vol 9: Issue 77
Shakara: The Avenger: Issue 3
Sláine, The Horned God: Issue 1
Skizz/DR & Quinch: Issue ??
Stickleback: Issue 46

I wonder whether the two Future Shocks volumes will clone the existing Rebellion ones.

TordelBack

Quote from: jrdd on 14 August, 2017, 07:33:20 PM

Aaaand now this is Downloded, the city that never met a nerdsheet it didn't like.

Great stuff, but caramba senor!, over 400 episodes, nearly 2200 pages: that's moving into Cerebus territory. Soooo many puns....

IndigoPrime

In the context of the partwork, that's, what, nine or ten books to cover the entire lot? (Which suggests it's not going to happen.)

sheridan

Quote from: Steve Green on 14 August, 2017, 04:09:05 PM
Quote from: Mardroid on 14 August, 2017, 03:30:23 PM
Quote from: IndigoPrime on 14 August, 2017, 03:23:55 PM
Quote from: Mardroid on 14 August, 2017, 03:13:24 PMI'm not keen on a collection of Shakara.
My brain cannot process that sentence.

Heh. I thought I'd get a response like that.

The art and creature designs are great. I just never got much from the stories, (or general lack thereof)  although that improved later.

I. E. Lots of Aliens gang up on one. He kills them all and shouts his name a lot.
Repeat

It's strange as I generally like most stuff others like and dislike, and I don't hate Shakara, to be fair. I just didn't find much there story-wise.

To be fair, maybe a volume might change that perception.

That's a fair appraisal based on the first book - it's pretty much the first couple of Nemesis stories remixed for a whole volume.

Mysterious alien in funky spaceship crops up, causes mayhem, says one word and then fucks off again...

Thankfully it did develop beyond that in the remaining books.

Shame sales of the first hardback didn't justify doing the rest at that size.

I thought Shakara was okay, but really couldn't understand all the people saying it was like Nemesis for a new generation - as has been mentioned, it's like one early episode of Nemesis with less dialogue and stretched out over many more episodes.  Thankfully the creators involved have done much more engaging work since.

Colin YNWA

Quote from: TordelBack on 14 August, 2017, 08:33:08 PM
Quote from: jrdd on 14 August, 2017, 07:33:20 PM

Aaaand now this is Downloded, the city that never met a nerdsheet it didn't like.

Great stuff, but caramba senor!, over 400 episodes, nearly 2200 pages: that's moving into Cerebus territory. Soooo many puns....

Wow I've never seen that before - that's a thing of wonder.

While its impressive its not quite Cerebus territory ... yet... 2200 pages is about 110 Cerebus issues, over a third and over half of the stuff I love (really love)

TordelBack

Getting there though - Cerebus is 6000 pages, including the Reads bits and caption/quote pages- as Colin says,  over 1/3 of the way there - for  a gag strip based on Pulp Fiction, it's doing a decent impression of a gag strip based on Conan.  Go Dan, go!

jannerboyuk

woot subscribed! :) ummed and ahed but in the end free gifts got me  :D

Tomwe

Getting some more hard numbers on the classics from FB:
10 Strontium Dog (though it's also been broken into 7 & 3 so likely 7 Alpha plus Durham Red and maybe Feral etc?)
4 ABC Warriors plus 2 Volgon War
5 Rogue Trooper
4 Nemesis

Just need to ask about Slaine now!

JaHawkDroid

I think they've stopped giving up info to me 😂 they said today they don't want to give it all away! Ha

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

abelardsnazz

Reckoning with the help of Barney, Nemesis' total page count, including in-continuity stories like Comic Rock and Torquemada the God, adds up to just over 700. The whole thing should fit nicely into 4 volumes then, possibly adding the Diceman stories (1 Nemesis, 1 Torque).

Haven't tried scrambling my brain with what Alpha, Rogue or ABC will feature, any thoughts?

JamesC

That sounds like a lot of Rogue Trooper.
Are we assuming this includes Rogue universe stuff like Mercy Heights, Ten Seconders etc?

sheridan

Quote from: TordelBack on 14 August, 2017, 09:18:41 PM
Getting there though - Cerebus is 6000 pages, including the Reads bits and caption/quote pages- as Colin says,  over 1/3 of the way there - for  a gag strip based on Pulp Fiction, it's doing a decent impression of a gag strip based on Conan.  Go Dan, go!

Hmm, does that mean we're coming up to the nervous breakdown / schizophrenic episode / haemorrhaging readership era?