Main Menu

2000 AD - The Ultimate Collection

Started by Molch-R, 27 February, 2017, 06:03:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Colin Zeal

My first post on here in God knows how long but I had to say that I think the choice of stories for this line is completely uninspiring. I realise that as someone who still buys the program every week and most trades I'm probably not the target audience but there are too many volumes on titles already in collected form. I'm going to keep buying every issue but I would have preferred that instead of x volumes on slaine and Strontium Dog reprinting titles already collected that hidden classics such as the Red Seas had been included.

Rant over, I would also like to say that I'm delighted this is happening at all and I hate to sound so miserable about it.

Fungus

A collection that printed 'hidden classics' would be weird. If you have stories already, the fact you're blindly, unhappily, buying them again makes little sense to me.

Jade Falcon

I must admit that I'm not the biggest Slaine fan and would like a few less of that and some more volumes on other things, but I'll maybe change my mind.  Of course we all have our different tastes.  Some old stories date better than others. 

The trouble with saying that some of them have already been printed are that they had a fairly short print run.  Savage for example, look how much it costs to get The Guv'nor or Taking Liberties, ditto with something like Flesh.  Other stories like Mean Streets just don't date well at all, the whole future sports thing being a bit dodgy.
When the truth offends, we lie and lie until we can no longer remember it is even there, but it is still there. Every lie we tell incurs a debt to the truth. Sooner or later, that debt is paid. That is how an RBMK reactor core explodes. Lies. - Valery Legasov

Magnetica

Tomwe

Arkady

Quote from: Tomwe on 25 November, 2017, 02:32:57 PM
Subscriber delivery day 🎉

As early subscribers drop off, regardless of how many new subscribers come onboard, is my subscriber delivery day likely to move to earlier in the month? At the moment I tend to get it in the week between releases.

IndigoPrime

This happened to me with Dredd. Hachette said it's company policy to avoid two payments within a single month, where possible, but they could change my date with written permission. I duly did so, and got two books about two weeks after the previous ones. Always worth a shot. Approach via Facebook, as ever.

Jade Falcon

When the truth offends, we lie and lie until we can no longer remember it is even there, but it is still there. Every lie we tell incurs a debt to the truth. Sooner or later, that debt is paid. That is how an RBMK reactor core explodes. Lies. - Valery Legasov

moogie101

Hi all,

Started subscribing from issue 2 & loving it as stopped reading 2000AD back in the Nineties so loving the series as getting to reread classics & experience a lot of what I consider the "newer" stuff for the first time.

Quick query though, got home & received a parcel but only containing one book Issue 6 "Kingdom Vol. 1" & a cheap tatty wallet. Only been charged for one book but just wondered if anyone had experienced this? Maybe so they can send me out a parcel of two books before Xmas?

moly

The wallet should of come with issue 5 and 6 this month should be 7 and 8

Michael Knight

Just wondering does anyone know how the Ultimate Collection is selling? Im absolutely loving thus far. Kingdom in glorious hardback is probably my fave volume. 6 issues in and im already hoping the mega collection is extended lol. Would love to see Vector 13 stories collected

Rately

Loving the Ezquerra artwork on SD.

I started collecting 2000AD around 750 onwards, so hadn't much exposure to Johnny Alpha, so really looking forward to the next collection.

Having never read Nikolai Dante, I'm really looking forward to getting stuck onto it, as it seems, from what i've read on the boards, to be a 2000AD classic.

TordelBack

Quote from: Colin Zeal on 24 November, 2017, 11:52:42 PM
My first post on here in God knows how long but I had to say that I think the choice of stories for this line is completely uninspiring.

Not aimed at us, Colin mate.  I imagine all the remaining uncollected gems (?) will end up under conventional soft covers one day, even Red Seas (eventually), while the UC is a greatest hits/recognisable character collection for the casual/new fan.  They can't keep selling to the dwindling ranks of grogsquaxx alone.

But as you say, glad its happening at all, and the two volumes I have cherry-picked so far (Kreeler Conspiracy and Kingdom) have been fantabulous.

Colin YNWA

Quote from: Rately on 25 November, 2017, 09:07:39 PM
Having never read Nikolai Dante, I'm really looking forward to getting stuck onto it, as it seems, from what i've read on the boards, to be a 2000AD classic.

Oh it is, it really bloody is. Quite possibly the best thing to have ever been in the comic. And that's saying quite something.

JamesC

I like Dante overall but I don't think it really gets good until the war kicks in.
All that 'too cool to kill' and bed hopping stuff makes me cringe if I'm honest.