Main Menu

"The Whole Twoth" 2000AD Strip Cartoon

Started by Bad City Blue, 03 October, 2018, 04:43:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tjm86

Not being funny though but fan 'art' was a staple of the prog back in the day.  Quite a few alumni had some of their earliest work published in exchange for galactic groats.  Arguably one of the greatest losses of the current prog.

Bad City Blue

Writer of SENTINEL, the best little indie out there

Bolt-01

Steve Green

Quote from: Tjm86 on 08 October, 2019, 06:22:09 PM
Not being funny though but fan 'art' was a staple of the prog back in the day.  Quite a few alumni had some of their earliest work published in exchange for galactic groats.  Arguably one of the greatest losses of the current prog.

I'd agree on it being a loss, I'd put it down to there being a clear division between fandom and the comic way back when.

Now it's effectively fans owning and running the comic, there appears to be a different attitude to it, whether consciously or unconsciously.

I see why they might want to keep a distance from it, it's easier/simple just to give a blanket 'no'.

Back when we were doing the Strontium Dog fan film, we asked about doing internal cast and crew t-shirts just for ourselves, and were told no, because (broadly) it makes it a lot simpler to crack down on unlicensed t-shirts if you're not making exceptions.

Same with that recent thing of bootleg Dredd badges being done at NYCC.

Or when cosplay groups were having some ridiculous spat, or trying to claim copyright on 'their' version of a Brit-Cit logo.

I don't blame them if they want to have nothing to do with any of it.

If you've got limited staff, how much time do you want to spend dealing with something that you're not financially involved in?

I get the feeling that Zarjaz/Dogbreath are a holdover from a time when it rules were more relaxed.

Sector 13 has said they're avoiding major characters, too.

Bolt-01

Yeah, Zarjaz & Dogbreath have had a remarkably lenient run with Rebellion.

They do get a copy of every issue sent over, but we've never had any 'wtf' emails from TMO.

When I put together the Lawgiver programme in 2018 Rebellion asked for approval before it was printed, and they requested changes too.

Bad City Blue

My query is would these strips be covered by the satire laws.

Does anyone know?

We'd love to do a proper publication, non profit.

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: Bad City Blue on 15 October, 2019, 11:30:33 AM

Given that (I believe?) you've been explicitly asked by the rights holder not to do a published version, for profit or not, I'd suggest that looking for some loophole to circumvent that request may not be the smartest idea anyone's ever had.
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

Bad City Blue

Steve Green

Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 15 October, 2019, 11:52:08 AM
Quote from: Bad City Blue on 15 October, 2019, 11:30:33 AM

Given that (I believe?) you've been explicitly asked by the rights holder not to do a published version, for profit or not, I'd suggest that looking for some loophole to circumvent that request may not be the smartest idea anyone's ever had.

I don't have a stake in this, but I'm genuinely curious too.

Rebellion made a big deal out of being able to reprint a Judge Dredd story which includes Ronald McDonald a corporate mascot shooting dead a member of staff and throw in Burger King, Colonel Sanders, The Jolly Green Giant and many more.

What is the exact difference between that and something like their strip?

Is it percentage? If characters were being parodied as part of another strip, would that be acceptable?

I'm genuinely curious too where the line is on something like this, if one even exists.

Bad City Blue

This page covers it quite well. With the Burger Wars strip the complaint came from the owners of the Jolly Green Giant at the time, with a free advert/apoology settling it.

Not worth messing about with, to be honest. Never got a reply when offering the strips to Rebellion to exclusively publish, it's just a standard writer/artist desire to have physical copies of your work is all.

I can live without the hassle

https://www.copyrightuser.org/understand/exceptions/parody-pastiche/

Steve Green

Bad City Blue

Buttonman

Little bit of politics there! Good one!

Bad City Blue

Bad City Blue